1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    I'm glad to hear you're on your way to better health, old friend. Even better is your ability to start playing again. God speed and take care, John.

NOLA Bass, Relayer71, e.rich and 2 others like this.
  2. johndb

johndb Bass is the Place! Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Illinois
    Thanks, Amos! I got together with my guitarist and drummer about a month ago, and it was the first time I had played without wearing oxygen in three years! It was great, and my hands are starting to catch up with my brain. Be well!

3. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I'm getting some buzz all across the neck on my NS-2. I had to give the truss rod a bit of an adjustment after a string change but I think it was buzzing on the D and G even before I did that. I have the relief set to what seems like a perfect amount, .012 or so and the action is really an honest medium. The neck looks straight when eyeballed down the end. The bass is new to me and I love it and will never let it go so I need to get it taken care of. I did notice when I changed the strings that there was what looked like some decent fret wear down at the end towards the nut. I'm thinking about taking a drive across the water and dropping it off at Mike Lull's shop and letting him have his way with it. I'm sure it would come out of that shop as good as new. Anybody have any experience with refretting an older Spector? Was any finish work necessary afterwards? I can see that the edge of the fretboard seems to have clear coat on it and I can't really see how it wouldn't get in the way of a fret job etc...
    Somebody reassure me here....

4. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I can tell you Mike does excellent work. Definately not the cheapest guy around, but you pay for what you get. When you walk into his shop & see platinum albums by AIC & Queensryche on the wall you'll feel at ease giving him your Spector.:D He's also one of the nicest guys around.

tw63, imdkoz, andynj65 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    You may try to see if there is someone that has a PLEK machine. That may work, but I'd inquire first. May save a trip and a lot of expense.

68Goldfish likes this.
  6. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I know Lull’s shop does. It may just need some fret dressing and a plek job. Not sure. It’s a ferry ride and about a half hours drive from there. I think I’ll just let them access the situation and see what they say. The bass definitely deserves the best setup/repair that I can get it.

7. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

cableguy, dpaul, andynj65 and 5 others like this.
  8. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    HAZard a guess?

andynj65, SNCpre and fretno like this.
  9. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    So my NS4CR is almost done with it's new paint job. I was sent this earlier today with a message that it should be done this week. Stoked to start putting it back together with the emgs & SNC 3-band.:hyper::hyper::hyper: 20190706_121051. 123_1.

10. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    I had some fretwork done on two old SSD basses. Neither actually needed a refret, just a level. But it will depend on just how uneven the frets are now. Neither needed finish work. It's possible that if the frets are pulled, any clear coat along the side of the fretboard could get chipped out and might look pretty bad. I would definitely see if they could simply be leveled.

One was Plek'd by a local shop and the other was done by hand by Brian Howard in Delaware. Honestly the one done by hand played better. I think there's an artistry to it; it's not simply "make it flat."

11. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I've played several plek'd basses over the years. felt and played very well. I like technology and all that, but I'll take the human touch over the machine all day long. But you don't get a truly skilled human touch unless you are in the boutique/custom shop realm. Sooo, I would take a plek over a basic factory fret job any day too.

andynj65, gclark51 and Clearwave like this.
  12. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    Quick question for all the SPEC-VETS. Do the Euro LX's come with stainless steel frets?

and is a Spector Euro 4LX a steal at $1800 new?

13. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Not sure what they're made of, but probably nickel/zinc.

That's a good price if brand new considering they're currently $2499 new ($2649 for Poplar Burl top, $2749 for the Wimbish and $2999 for the Rudy Sarzo).

When I've seen them on sale they've been around $2200. Sweetwater was closing out the Tobacco Sunburst model and I got one for $1899 recently and thought this was a good price.

I always wonder why resale is so low on the Euros; I have seen used ones on here and Reverb as low as $1200 which is not bad for an older model, but I see relatively recent ones go for that low (someone was selling a 2017 77 Euro LE for around that last week, I believe).

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  14. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    Does that mean the frets are rust proof? Yeah I thought that was a good price too but do worry about the resell value. Seems like they are not worth as much as Warwicks?

Update: Proud new owner. Just bought it. Pretty good price if you ask me. Neck-thru, polished black, chrome hardware, EMG's with Tonepump. Separate battery compartment. Will post pictures when it arrives.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  15. Guys, does anyone else have such issue with humcancelling pickups? These are Aguilar Super Splits that are told to be humcancelling...but do you clearly hear cycle hum when I’m rolling the balance knob? Why on Earth is that possible if they are split coils?!

16. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    I'm no expert. Did you check behind the back electronics cover plate? Maybe some wires or cords are touching? Sometimes helps to clean them up a little.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. if bad wiring was a case the bass would make noise in any setting. But this one is only noisy when the pickup balance is rolled to either of two pickups which is clear indicator of 50 Hz cycle hum of single coil pickups which is weird cause these are split coils so they must be hum-cancelling by their nature. I've addressed this question to both Aguilar and Spector tech support, let's wait for their reply.

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  18. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Humcancelling require both coils to be separately exposed to whatever. Poorly thought out shielding might cause This or signal picked up by at the pickup in wiring.

anton72 likes this.
  19. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    No idea but I would think so... though I've never seen rust on any frets. I have a Tele I've owned since 1990 and it doesn't have rust and I haven't done any fretwork on it since I bought it.

Congrats! Those a/o Black with chrome hardware look fantastic! I've never been a fan of all over black but it looks so damn good on a Euro/NS2 especially with the chrome.

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  20. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC