1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Thank You, I knew there would be a dummy knob, I just wasn't sure if the rest would fit properly or not. Now to figure out which bass in my price range to get . I am just guessing here but the more money invested should mean better for quality components, bridge tuning keys nut for instance

Rod Harder likes this.
  2. Electricalbass

Electricalbass

Dec 13, 2017
    NW Montana
    This pre looks a bit different from my ns2a. CME told me its from 1987. Is this a Korean HAZ clone as well? The bass and treble have center detents.
    02FA10D4-DEC9-4BB2-A363-84CC7CD75BA4.jpeg

Devils playgrou likes this.
  3. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Forte Collector - not done yet Supporting Member

That's the Korean Haz clone, dual volume rather than Vol/ Blend and the pot styles and Op-amp are the main identifying factors.

4. Electricalbass

Electricalbass

Dec 13, 2017
    NW Montana
    Thank you. This bass sounds amazing all stock like it is but based off other posts I’ve read some emgs and a brass nut may be even better.

Rod Harder likes this.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Added the inlay decals and DR Black Beauties. Need the Ian Hill vibe.

FA6379A6-CD3B-4B95-80C8-F39DE683D12B.jpeg

6. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with a Legend, but if you can swing it, there's this one available for $1912 (click "minor blemish product" to view that price). Spector Euro4LX Electric Bass with Bag

With this particular bass, they're offering 12 interest free payments of $159/month on any credit card. If you have half decent credit (they will run a credit check for the 12-payment plan) and can swing the monthly payments, perhaps this would be a good option for you. Cheers.

Edit - I just noticed the above bass has Bartolinis pickups... Not sure if that's what you want or not. Anyway, they do have a Euro4 black gloss w/ EMGs, but that's full price (around $200/month).

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Litiec

Litiec

Dec 15, 2019
    Dear All

I thinking acquiring a SPECTOR Euro 5, but nowadays you have several option or LT with Bartolini(passive) with cut/boost treble, LX with Bartolini(passive) or EMG TW(active) with only boost Bass/Treble....... Well my concern at this moment is with the pickups. Before I had a Fretless Ibanez srf705 with Mk1 Bartolini (passive) with active electronic. I must say it was a total nightmare. I had a lot of noise interference from the pickups and I could even modulate the frequency by changing position. It was some EMi interference. I end up returning a bass, not only because of that, but for other reasons. The bass had a lot of dead spot, week saddles..... well a lot of issues that I discovered. I ended up discovering that the bass had been returned several times and they never mentioned or sold it as B-stock. I didn't had a good experience with passive bartolinis. So I was wondering if EMG active pickups wouldn't be a better choice. First because I like the idea of combining different pickup setup, and second active pickups are known to be less noisy or at least less susceptible to external interference. I saw some videos with EMG and I kinda like sound The Bartolini sound a bit brighter I think. By choosing EMG I will buy a bass from 2016(accordingly to the model availability started time) that was now "upgraded" in 2019. Do you think EMG will be less noisy? I leave nearby a tram terminal, so there are a lot cross cables and electricity around. Before with Ibanez I tried disconnect everything in my house, switching different cables, connect to two different audio interfaces and I always had noise. There was a particular place in my house that I could eliminate 60% of the sound. In my school I didn't have sound at all so that why I suspect it is from external interference. Well at this moment I am quite confuse and I don't know what I should do. I like this Spector basses, but I don't know which pickups and amp system I should get... Yes because now there is a Dark something.... electronics. Somebody could help me please.
    Thank in advance

8. dpaul

dpaul Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Florence, NJ
    The MK-1 pickups are not real Bartolini pickups, the are licensed by Bartolini. The Bartolini pickups in the Euro Spector’s are true Bartolini’s, and are especially made and would for Spector. While I usually prefer EMG’s, I have heard nothing but good things about the pickups in the new Spector’s

9. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Ibanez makes some nice, well constructed basses but their electronics packages are pretty mediocre, at least in the mid-tier range (haven't played their Made in Japan Prestige models) and an SR500 I had briefly was also pretty noisy.

And as mentioned above, the Barts in the Ibanez are a lower quality import model.

The Barts on the Euros sound fantastic. Smoother than the EMGs but can still get pretty aggressive.

Arthur U. Poon and gclark51 like this.
  10. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    All of these have EMGs with Haz Preamp. Never had any problems with any interference at all period.
    upload_2020-1-13_16-31-21.png

I also have a Euro NS4 (most right in pic below)that has EMGs (actives) with the EMG BTS preamp, converted to 18 volts, that has never had any interference problems. Also I have a early model Korean NS2a (Most left in the pic below) with active EMG pups, and the EMG BTS preamp converted to 18 volts, and have never had an interference problem.
    And I live less than two miles, as the crow flies, from the city's municipal airport.
    upload_2020-1-13_16-34-26.png

11. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Clemson has a guy on their team with last name Spector

jack7265, e.rich, andynj65 and 2 others like this.
  12. Wolf Tower 5

Wolf Tower 5 Still looking for all the answers.

May 29, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    My profile pic is my Euro4 (solid maple wings) with the 18v Haz Lab pre in it............ I don’t think you can get any better. If you have to go new, the legend 4 neck through is a great bass. Solid maple with a maple cap (decorative) top. The hardware is fairly well built. The bridge saddles don’t have the intonation screws like the new ones, but if you’re familiar with Spector they shouldn’t be too hard. The biggest hurdle would be the P pickup is in the traditional Fender position and not the Spector position. So the tone won’t be exactly like other spectors. If you can go used, you can pick Euros up for $1200 all day long. The 18v Haz would be super happy to live its life in a nice Euro.

13. Litiec

Litiec

Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks a lot for your replies

I might go for an EMG-TW active pickups, but I can only find it in Thomann. It says is available since 2016. I am afraid of buying a bass that has been stored for all this time. Many think could happen since then. I don't know if they have some sort of maintenance or if they check the basses before they send it. I not really in a mod for a new twilight zone episode. I know that it can also happens with new basses. But well Don't know?????

14. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    495D591A-9A7B-4B27-AD66-CA0F004C0439.jpeg View attachment 3666996 View attachment 3666996
    I just acquired my first Spector- A 99 Czech Spector 5, with Emg’s & the 2 band Emg Bts pre.. It’s a total rock beast.. loving it!
    How does the 18 v haz lab preamp sound in comparison to the Emg 2 band Bts circuit?
    Just asking because in the future I’m probably gonna buy a wider neck Spector w/ the 18v haz lab pre.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  15. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Really hard to answer that, since the Pups are different in my USA NS4s also. The Euro and the Korean have the typical EMG PJ set up, so that makes a difference too.

But the difference is maybe explained by more punch, better head room, and more overall tonal range. I also believe the USAs are louder, as when I go to the Korean or the Euro I do have to nudge my amp volume a little to compensate switching. Its not much, but necessary to keep volumes even on stage.

Afc70 likes this.
  16. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    BTW the EMG pups in the two Bahama Blue NS4s are the newer EMG X series. And they are a little better than the EMG pups in the tow other USA NS4s, which are the common DC35s.

17. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    +1. This is the truth right here. Swampy was an early Euro4. Armed with the 18v HAZ pre, sounded/felt just as good as most the US fortes and NS2s/NS4s I’ve played. :thumbsup:

18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Or you could install a kill switch. Always useful.

19. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I purchased a Coda Pro 5 and though it plays nice, the tone is not to my taste. I want something with more bottom end and a slightly warmer sound but with that signature Spector sound. I know its not going to sound like a neck-through Euro but want something beefier sounding. I decided to purchase a Darkglass Tone Capsule to replace the Tone Pump Jr preamp but also want to replace the SSD pickups with Nords or Barts. Hearing lots of good things about the EuroLT and the combo of the Darkglass and Bart pickups, I would like to try the Barts.

Does anyone know what the difference is with the Barts that are custom wound compared to a stock bart pickup. What jazz style bart model would be similar to the one that Spector uses?

20. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

I've just traded my NS-4 for an NS-5XL. I'm curious what gauge strings you all use on your 5-string Spectors (or other basses for that matter). I've generally used medium or medium light strings in the past (45-125 or so), but curious if anyone uses light gauge strings and if so, why.

Also, on a related note, what gauge strings would you recommend for a bassist moving from 4 to 5 strings?