1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. J-Rad

J-Rad

Aug 2, 2019
    Saint Peter, MN
    I just put a fresh set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (45 - 130) strings on my Euro 5LX, and they sound fantastic, although I did encounter a problem. The ball-end wrap is not tapered on these strings and the low B string did not want to sit well in the bridge due to being too large. I ended up flattening the wrap out a bit with a vice grips and that seemed to solve the problem, but I was curious if anyone else has encountered this problem with any other strings.

I've been toying with the idea of using some of the light gauge strings Fodera produces since I'm rarely utilizing the low B string at this time. You could take a look at their selection of strings and see if any of those appeal to you. I, personally, want to try these strings out just to see if tuning a 5-string bass to a standard 4 string tuning with a high C would work better for some of the projects I'm working with.

japhy4529 likes this.
  2. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    I had the same using a .135 B on my old Euro 5LX, but with D'addario strings. The advice I got at the time was to file the bridge slot wider to accommodate the thick wrapped portion of the string, however I wasn't entirely satisfied with that solution. I changed string brands and it didn't recur and later sold the bass.

I had the same problem with my Warwick Thumb, I believe with a .135 Ernie Ball B. I tend to use lighter strings and taperwouda like LaBellas these days. Labella are a good option due to being taperwound. They are very narrow at the ball end portion of the string.

japhy4529 likes this.
  3. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Forte Collector - not done yet Supporting Member

4. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I’ve had the same issue with B strings not wanting to sit down in the bridge. I end up flattening the string slightly with a vice. Never caused a problem with the string and keeps me from having to modify my bridge.

japhy4529 likes this.
  5. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Some of the new basses look sweet.

Regarding the Euro Classic line (specs below), while it's nice to see this line rolling out. I have to question the "weight-relieved" spec. This means a chambered body. Why?!

Also, I know most people won't care, but a HAZ or HAZ clone would have been sweet (even if offered as an upgrade option). In the end though, one could just buy a used Kramer-era Spector for not much more than the cost of one of these new basses!

Euro Classic – Solid Red, White or Black Gloss

• 80’s inspired Spector Euro range
    • Weight-relieved Maple body; 34” scale length
    • EMG pickups & pre-amp; Gold hardware
    4-String – MAP $2,399.99

5-String – MAP $2,499.99

Electricalbass and 68Goldfish like this.
  6. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    yeah, "classic" name without a HAZ is kinda lame. IMO

7. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Looks like they lowered the price on the all-maple Euros by $100. That makes sense considering those are solid colors.

They also changed the hardware to gold - saw a few complaints on here about the chrome hardware so that should make some happy (I actually preferred the chrome)

But if they were going to change the name of those to "Classic", shouldn't they have done the opposite and made them really heavy? :laugh:

Also, looks like the new Ian Hill is a P-bass, that's a pretty cool addition.

japhy4529 likes this.
  8. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Oh, that matte black & blue... :drool::drool::drool:

GallienUser and BrentSimons like this.
  9. Yeah you're not kidding. :) That looks amazing!
    I might have to take a look at these when they come out!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

10. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    At least they didn't make up a name, unlike Fender. whats a vintiquity again?

11. J-Rad

J-Rad

Aug 2, 2019
    Saint Peter, MN
    That'd be Vin Diesel once he reaches antique status.

I'll show myself out.

12. "Today, Fender unveils the latest, most revolutionary American S̶t̶a̶n̶d̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶D̶e̶l̶u̶x̶e̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶f̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶V̶i̶n̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶E̶l̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶ Ultra Jazz Bass."

leto and Holdsg like this.
  13. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Tennessee
    I wish they would have done a Kip Winger Spector-backer artist line. Maybe next year.

14. japhy4529

I almost just choked on my dinner while reading this! :laugh:

J-Rad and Holdsg like this.
  15. japhy4529

Yeah. Also, It’s nice that they’re trying to be historically accurate with a 34” 5-string. Now the question is will it have 2 J’s and a Gumby headstock.

e.rich and Holdsg like this.
  16. 68Goldfish

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Now that would be a bass I would immediately empty my wallet for. Spector-backer with a reverse pj and haz. That would be killer.

imdkoz likes this.
  17. japhy4529

I doubt that would fly from a Trademark standpoint. If there ever was a KW sig model, it would like be an NS body (he did play NS-2s for many years after all).

18. 68Goldfish

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    For sure. Just daydreaming...
    I dug Winger back in the day but I’m just a fan of the styling mashup more than anything else.

japhy4529 likes this.
  19. japhy4529

Question - does anyone know if the custom Barts in the Euro 5 LT line are the same dimensions as EMG 40DCX? I would just look it up, but I don't know what kind of Barts are in there. The Spector site just says they're "Bartolini Custom Wound Passive."

20. japhy4529

Specs and pics now available online for the new models. Example: Euro 5 Classic - Spector Bass

I like the Euro 5 classic (though I wish they hadn't gone the weight-relieved route). They didn't re-introduce the old Kramer-era NS-5 headstock though, right? It looks like the current iteration.