1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    I’d like to know what you think about them vs the existing DCs(?)

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I'll let you know when I do the swap

AB Nate likes this.
  3. bste9

bste9 Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Thanks...I am not in love with my Ibanez EHB and I am entertaining ideas of getting a Spector Euro 5, but that spacing might be a little too tight for me.

4. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    If I change to either of the two with out the X series, I do have to bump up the vol a bit, but that is not really an issue for me. I have a Berg B|Amp and I have a second channel that is set up already. So it is just a push of the switch.
    BTW, most folks here have noticed the same results with the EMG X series. I have yet to hear of anyone that really didn't like them.

5. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Just wanted to post a few pics of my #710 Special Edition bass. She is number 2 of 2 ever made. Wenge 3 piece neck (also with the carbon inserts), separate Wenge fretboard, Redwood cap over Black Walnut wings. NS4 with 18 volts Haz. She kind of has a tone all her own. BTW, even PJ remembers this one. Even said they had gotten a piece of Wenge in that looked great, and Stuart decided to try a couple of builds, the first was an NS2 with PJ pups, mine was an NS4 with DCs. And they learned a little on #1 about working the Wenge. She is a baby.
    upload_2021-2-23_11-3-45.png
    upload_2021-2-23_11-4-41.png
    upload_2021-2-23_11-6-1.png
    upload_2021-2-23_11-6-49.png

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    andynj65, NigelD, djaxup and 18 others like this.
  6. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    So, are you saying the X’s have MORE output than the non-X DC’s?

P Cheen likes this.
  7. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    That wenge neck is spectacular!

Eddie LeBlanc likes this.
  8. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    They seem to to me. And all things being equal, my #220 Maple NS4, same strings, same Pup adjustment, same tone and vol setting; then compared to #1136 Bahama Blue NS4. While I never measured output with a meter, my ears tell me they are different.
    When switching from #1136 to #220 I have to bump the vol. a bit. I have channel #2 on my B|Amp set for that. At least that is how it is working out for me.

pbass6811 likes this.
  9. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    That is a beautiful Bass! I love Wenge and that makes that one totally unique!
    You know my favorite finish is that Bahama Blue but that is a real close 2nd in that combination!

10. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks, she is a little heavier. But pretty nice.
    Don't know why the USA shop didn't continue that. But when I was in the shop I was told how difficult it is to work with Wenge. I was told every splinter, got infected, when they shaped it, and created the fretboard. But she is a beauty.

11. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I understand working with Wenge is difficult. You mentioned the problem with the splinters but I've heard the saw dust is pretty bad too.

12. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    If I ever order a custom, it might be that bass with no fret markers (or maybe dots) to see more of that beautiful Wenge, and black hardware.

13. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Wenge necks are the most stable necks I’ve ever played. Love me some wenge

bste9 and TinIndian like this.
  14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't know if they'd do a Wenge Neck and fretboard. They have only done two, period. That is according to PJ. So you may check. But those two were built in 2010.

15. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    They are using wenge board now on the dimension but that’s a different factory so.... ?

16. dpaul

dpaul Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Florence, NJ
    To my ears, the X series pickups seem to lack a little bit of the midrange that the standard series has. Glassy highs, tight low end, but I miss the mids. I’m not knocking the X series, they’re just different. YMMV

17. DownUnder_Funk

DownUnder_Funk Gold Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Speaking of EMGs, has anyone done an A/B comparison with the Kramer-era EMGs vs modern clip on circuit EMGs? Curious whether there is a noticeable difference.

18. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Forte Collector - not done yet Supporting Member

@jack7265 - this one's for you.

andynj65 likes this.
  19. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Any recommendations for stands for a 5-string Forte (standard width neck). I have an On-Stage brand floor stand where the bass hangs on the fork (the one that flips back for storage) but it’s a bit too narrow for the 5-string

20. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    You never know. But good Wenge is hard stuff, and is poisonous. Breathing the dust is dangerous, and as I found out, splinters get infected immediately. Stuart said Wenge is difficult to work and is not something he liked to work with. But that was back in 2011. They guy that shaped my neck, said he didn't like having to mess with it, but it sure was pretty.

BTW Stuart went back into the wood storage and found a piece of the Redwood they used on the cap, and cut a chunk off. He handed it to me and said bring this back with you to Texas, use it for knobs or bookends. He sure was a great guy.

andynj65, dpaul, AB Nate and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021