SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jack, wow. Is this past and present?

jack7265 and andynj65 like this.
  2. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    That is an insane amount of Spectors to go through in 6 years :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

I guess it says a lot of the Korean Spector quality that you've kept a few of the Legends.

And you saved the best for last with that Blue NS2 :drool:

Arthur U. Poon, jack7265 and andynj65 like this.
  3. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I am responsible for taking two of those NS-2’s off of Jacks hands! Wouldn’t mind getting at least one more!

Arthur U. Poon, jack7265 and andynj65 like this.
  4. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Yes, it includes all the Spector basses that I've had, or still have. These are the ones I still have.

2021-03-26 (12) - Copy.jpg

2020-12-05_Collection2.jpg

djaxup, prue, fibz and 8 others like this.
  5. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    While I fear that this would be a lot to ask... I'm super curious if you can try and outline why you are keeping those. There are a few in this list that do seem slightly redundant / overlapping...

6. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    I have to ask if you had to pick a favorite which one would it be?
    I love your Blue Kramer and the Brooklyn beauty.

jack7265 likes this.
  7. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    The 2004 Legend 4 is a great little bass. I keep it mainly for when I go on trips. I currently have Dimarzio Model P & J pickups, along with a Darkglass Tone Capsule. I also put a brass nut on it. So, it's set up fantastic, and wouldn't have any problems playing it for a gig.

The Legend 5 Classic doesn't get much use, but it's available if I ever needed a 5 string. I've got custom Lindy Fralin J/J pickups in it, along with a DTC. So, it's not too shabby. It also has a brass nut.

dpaul likes this.
  8. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    The NS-2 DW #1090 is my favorite due to the excellent feel of the neck in my hands. I made a trip from New Orleans to Marietta, Georgia to pick up the Blue Kramer, and it was well worth the trip. The Brooklyn has a fantastic neck on it, which I prefer slightly over the Kramer basses I have.

2019-11-03 (3).JPG

9. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    I keep the ones I have because they are the ones that feel more comfortable to play. That's the one problem with the USA basses having individually shaped necks. No two basses have an exact match for the feel of the neck. Some necks are close to being the same, however.

And, even though some of the basses may be about the same, I've upgraded the pickups and preamps in just about all of them to give me some unique sounds.

djaxup, andynj65 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  10. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Yes you did. And, at times I wonder whether I should have kept them, or not. However, I've got enough nice basses that I don't have any regrets. I'm glad you're enjoying them.

djaxup, andynj65 and 68Goldfish like this.
  11. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    So, do you even get to play all of them?

Even gigging, I don't think I would get to play so many! But I wouldn't mind owning them, lol.

Though as it is, I currently have 5 and I'm trying to cut down to 3. I have 2 in the classifieds, but haven't bumped one in a while because I'm on the fence about it. I've spent the last few days playing the others to see if I keep that one and get rid of one of the others, but it's so damn hard to make a decision, they're all excellent basses!

The one I am sure about selling it's because I played it the least - I know if I take it out of it's gig bag, I will probably start having second thoughts! But I am not gigging or in a band situation currently, and my intent to write/record has been derailed a few times by personal issues and lack of time. But I would feel bad keeping them all knowing I have limited playing time and would never really play them all. Decisions, decisions!

jack7265 likes this.
  12. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    As far as gigging, I've used all that I currently have except for the two Legends and the fretless. I used better than half the basses that I don't have any more for at least one gig. My first Spector was the Coda 4 DLX, which I got to replace the Fender Jazz Basses I was using. I used it for close to a year before I got my first NS-2 bass. After getting used to the NS-2, I reluctantly sold the Coda 4 DLX.

At times I consider whether I need to keep all the basses, but they are each special in their own way. So, it will probably be a while before I sell any that I currently have.

It's good that you take careful consideration before letting any of your basses go. I've had a few that I'd like to get back.

djaxup and andynj65 like this.
  13. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    The new euro 5 like mine is 8.9 lbs. Just under 9...

Attached Files:

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  14. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    I'm thinking of putting a noll preamp in my Spector lx5. I heard they work great with the EMG TW's. I guess I might have to change the jack though. Also it will be 18 volt. Anyone else ever use a noll preamp?

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

I especially dig your Euro LE 79.
    Even though I mainly play a 6-string, one day I hope to find one for sale. Same goes for a Euro LE 77.

I really like the look of the early Brooklyn Spectors, the ones with the solid walnut wings.

AB Nate and jack7265 like this.
  16. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Just let me know if you ever want to sell either the blue or dusty rose (not sure what the real name of the color is) NS-2’s or the NS-2O!

jack7265 likes this.
  17. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    My 77 LE is one I know will not go anywhere.

jack7265 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I can’t blame you one bit for wanting to keep it. If I only the funds when they were being sold new!
    8FDE0EC9-3C91-45A6-9EAC-33B12F86640C.jpeg

(I snagged this photo from Google.)
    I’ve only had the pleasure of playing two US made Spectors. And the first Spector that I played looked very much like this one. Talk about a “Oh WOW!!” moment. The comfort factor of it’s design totally flooded me. And it’s sound blew my mind.

andynj65, gclark51 and jack7265 like this.
  19. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    If you ever get the option to get a USA build, go for it. The last two I did I specified thin neck profile, and they are fantastic players. One is fretless, and one is fretted.

That way you can get it built like you want. May take a few greenbacks and a little waiting time (normally 4 to 6 months). But well worth it, especially if you want a bass you'll keep for a while.

andynj65, jack7265 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  20. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I'm having a crazy idea involving BEAD tuning of a Spector NS Dimensions 4 string bass, but would likely need to part with my unicorn EBMM 25th Anniversary HSS 5 string. Any input from owners on the 4 string version of the Dimension bass? I know the 5 string has the Low B issue...just curious on thoughts for the 4.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021