SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. PhishPhan22

PhishPhan22

Jun 23, 2020
    So what makes then newer euros 5 with dark glass so diff then the original tone pump
    And set up of the Spectors? Also how much better are having the Barts with the darkglass?

As I’ve mentioned the Spector Euro got me with its paint job First that blue with black strips is better then some cars! And the B string wow! And it feels so solidly made an plays great! But I could tell it’s made more for deep tones and metal im guessing, I play jam as said. Which mroe people go for the muffled jacco tone which I love that tone to, which is why having a genzler amp and cab is so awesome! But I played on a Spector like mine except with a tone pump an I def like the darkglass and Bart pickups much much more, I can get a modern yet old
    School tone to. It is more bass driven then most basses an cleaner sounding but it kinda works. I would like to hear the vets of Spector owners and what they pride an excel at in their basses? And how do they compare to other high end basses. Warwick, modulus, PRS Grainger, music man, fenders?

Arthur U. Poon and TonyP- like this.
  2. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    I bought it second hand. I tend to like the solid walnut wings, as well, for the aesthetics. The guy that had it wanted to be closer to the Brooklyn NS-2 that it was based on. So, he changed the chrome hardware to gold, put cream colored pickup covers (black would have been okay, though) and changed the preamp to an SNCpre 9V HAZ with Brooklyn/Kramer specs. So, it sounds great.

The neck was speced from PJ's NS-2, so to me it was a little thicker than what I like. But, beings the neck has a natural finish, I've sanded it down to make it more like a Kramer thin spec neck. There are some other adjustments that I will be making to make the action better. I plan to go over the entire base with a nitrocellulose satin finish to seal the back of the neck and even out the finish over the entire bass. I used a spray gun using Mohawk satin nitrocellulose on my Spector Forte 4 with good results.

andynj65 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  3. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    I can promise you it will not be anytime soon. I'm pretty much set on the basses that I have, and they've all kind of grown on me.

4. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    The neck on my 77 is also a tiny bit chunky, but in a good way. Feels really comfy to me.

Neck size seems to vary on the Euros as well as US builds. The Spalted Maple Euro 4 LE I own has the thinnest neck, almost Jazz like, even skinner. The Euro 4LX is perfect, not thick or thin. And the two Fortes feel just a tiny bit thicker front to back, but also a little wider, which took me a bit to get used to. Still comfortable to play, but I notice playing up higher on the neck feels like I exert a little more effort.

andynj65, Arthur U. Poon and jack7265 like this.
  5. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I find myself a little less picky about neck size. I can get used to the shape and size of a neck in just a few minutes. The sound and look of a bass is infinitely more important to me. I can't really tell much of a difference between the necks on the four Spector's I have. They are all within three years or so of each other so maybe that's why.

6. prue

prue Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    New York
    Spector, DR strings
    andynj65 and jack7265 like this.
  7. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Well, funny how things work out.

I hadn't bumped the Black Forte 4 I had in the classifieds for exactly one month because I was on the fence about it and on the day I was going to take the listing down and keep it (no joke, minutes before!), someone expressed interest in buying it.

So I went with my instinct and it's now sold. I figure, it must have been meant for this TBer to have it :D.

That bass has shown me the way of the DC35X though, and at some point in the future, I see myself ordering a Forte with them and Walnut wings. I wonder if that's been done before? :drool:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    marchone and gidbass like this.
  8. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    I can't follow the logic in this question, if someone can please explain it to me .. :D

TonyP- likes this.
  9. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    He's asking, if someone gave you $5, and you lived in Kentucky and lived to be 100, is the color of the sky the size of your finger or is a dog like a volcano?

10. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    I see your smiley. But it was actually a serious question (which has mostly been answered) from someone who owns only one Spector about what drove Jack's decision making in all this.
    Not everyone has the space for 25+ basses. I currently own 4 basses (the Spector, a Fender, and two Dingwalls) and don't think I can add a lot more to that stable without selling some first :)

11. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    Correct. Thanks for expressing it so much better than I was able to. Your service to this community is appreciated.

12. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    :laugh:

Seriously though, I see both sides of it. While I would love to have an endless amount of basses, I don't have the room, nor would I have the time to play them all.

I debated keeping the Forte I just sold because it has soapbars which made it different enough from my other one, so I agree with your point about redundancy - I don't think I'd want to have more than 2 PJs or basses of the same color or wood.

But Spector makes a beautiful bass, lots of them works of art and if I could, I might. I would justify it if I was doing music for a living, but I'm not.

I mean, a Black Cherry NS2 just went up in the classifieds, and she's a beauty. I need to just stop looking there and at Reverb. :nailbiting:

dpaul likes this.
  13. jack7265

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    Yes, Pete, it is a Kramer. And, if anyone wants to reference a bass with Kramer thin neck specs, this is the one. It's got the best neck of any of the Kramer basses that I've had, except for the NS-2o that I have. I got this one for an unbelievable price. The pawn shop that had it up for sale didn't know the value of a Kramer in the condition that it is in.

14. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    How can you do that to me. That's just... mean. I had managed not to contact you about the Forte, I had managed not to click refresh on Reverb or the Classifieds in... days (-ish).
    Now I am staring at that NS2 and thankfully my bass storage rack is full and I mean I don't need a real NS2 my NS2a is fine and...
    :bawl::mad::confused:

15. prue

prue Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    New York
    Spector, DR strings
    Awesome, Jack!! I need to get me a Black NS2. The Kramer necks are great.

andynj65, Arthur U. Poon and jack7265 like this.
  16. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Each one of these feel different. Essentially they are all NS4s, although one is fretless. And each of them sound a little different, even though all the fretted ones have Optima 24kt gold strings. And they all get played.
    upload_2021-7-21_17-7-33.png

But I have other basses that get played also for other things. "Vive la difference".

bassgiant15, fibz, andynj65 and 3 others like this.
  17. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    spec5L.jpg

So I recently picked up this Spector Legend 5 that I love. Would really love to replace the chrome hardware with black chrome. How difficult would that be? I've never actually modded a bass (or guitar for that matter). Is this an easy task? Saddle and tuners I would have to pay someone to do but not sure where to even look to get started. Thanks in advance.

BCRich100, andynj65, jack7265 and 2 others like this.
  18. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    The right one... is this a wenge neck?
    Gorgeous

AB Nate likes this.
  19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO, tonally a Euro with EMGs is very versatile. I’ve used my NS4CRFM for R&B, Oldies, Top 40 Rock, Classic Rock, and even Modern and Classic Country. And IMO it worked really well on all of those styles.

I haven’t tried the custom wound Bartolini’s that Spector is using, nor have I tried the Darkglass preamp, but I have lots of experience with Bartolini pickups. I three basses with Bartolini pickups and active eq systems. One with a Bartolini 3-band, and 2 with Aguilar OBP-3 eq systems.

I’ve been very happy with Bartolini pickups, over many decades of using them. I’ve found them to be suitable for several styles of music. Honestly, I can’t think of a style that they aren’t suited for.

I may give EMG pickups the slightest edge over Bartolinis in extreme Metal styles, but I think certain models of Bartolinis would still cover those styles of Metal admirably well.

Both of my Spectors have EMG pickups and EMG 2-band BTS eq systems. I’d say I hear some similarities between my Spectors and the EMG equipped Modulus that I used to own.

I feel my NS4CRFM can cover anything that my Fender can do. They don’t sound alike, but both a Fender and a Spector are very versatile IMO.

My Euro 6LT can definitely do the MusicMan thing, and then some. I haven’t owned a Warwick or a PRS so I can’t say how they compare to the Spectors that I own.

There’s a good video from Anderton’s, a music store in the UK, where they demo a new Euro 4LT, which has a Bartolini P/J setup, and the Darkglass preamp. I’ve listened to it numerous times wearing headphones, and I really like how it sounds. To me, it has a bit more warmth compared to an EMG P/J setup, yet it still has a nice sounding top end.

I’m strongly considering buying a Euro 5LT next. I’m thinking the slightly different sound will be nice to have at my disposal when I’m recording.

Mikewhittaker likes this.
  20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    This is where I’m at too. Especially after I got comfortable playing a 6-string bass. Going from one of my 6’s to let’s say my MM Sterling, with it’s J-style neck feels really strange at first, but I get accustomed to the differences rather quickly.

The neck on my Euro 6LT is considerably “chunkier” than the necks on my Ristola-6 or my Roscoe-6, but it’s still very comfortable to play.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021