SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Not to be harsh, but isn’t $2800 the list/retail price?

I’m not remotely famous. I’m not endorsed by anyone. I haven’t paid retail on a new instrument purchase…ever….except in one case where the instrument was rare enough that I didn’t mess with negotiation (the last cieloglo 4003s in Sam ash’s system.)

That’s part of the reason for the price difference between new list, and actual used pricing.

In this case I’d expect $400-500 off of retail, and/or an equivalent amount of free stuff, for a purchase of this nature.

Edit: looks like this is $2,699 at Sweetwater. I wouldn’t expect to pay more than $2300-2400, shipped. At that price I’d probably get $100 in strings and a setup as well, based on how my sales rep normally negotiates.

So it’d be between $2100-2250 or so, including freebies. Which makes the $1800 used price fairly logical.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  2. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Used prices shouldn't be based on haggling ability of individual on new prices, lol.

I get what you mean, but those are the usual selling prices. The list prices are actually much higher. I think something like $3300 for a Euro 4 that has a "street" price of $2400.

If you can get $100 or $200 off, great. But it will depend on retailer, salesperson, and how persistent you are.

That also opens up the question of do you sell an item based on what YOU paid for it or based on what it usually goes for?

3. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Used prices are based on what people are willing to pay for a thing.

If most people can negotiate a price below advertised, just by asking, then keying off of advertised price doesn’t make sense either.

Doesn’t require any sort of special skills to negotiate. You just start the conversation by saying “how close to $x shipped can we get on this item.”

TinIndian likes this.
  4. fibz

fibz

Jan 1, 2014
    Germany
    Prices also went up here in Europe. So have the used prices. Crazy.

5. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I feel for you and that sucks, but there has been a mint euro 5 for sale local for about a year, sitting at $1800. I've even seen a USA forte that was at $1850 that took over a month to sell. i've seen 5 string euro lx's sell for $1100 the past year. It's kinda crazy actually.

I hope the right buyer finds you and you make a good sale.

PhishPhan22 and tbz like this.
  6. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    There's a Euro LX 4 that sold a few days ago for under $1800. Two months old.
    There's another one for sale (also from this year) for $1550.
    Both here in the classifieds.

marchone likes this.
  7. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Yes, $1800 is logical (which is why I said it's a fair price), but buyers aren't logical and expect to pay no more than $1500.

But you're making the assumption that there are "freebies". Again, if you are good at negotiating, sure. But it's not a given. I don't mind negotiating on price but personally, I hate asking for free stuff - to me it just feels like entitlement ("I am paying all this for that so give me more!").

No offense meant, I understand it's part of the negotiating game. And actually, it's no mere game but a freakin art form! I used to have a friend I'd take along with me when I went shopping and when my meager negotiation skills failed, he'd work his magic :D

My point though, obscured as it probably is at this point, is that Spectors are undervalued in the used market, more so than other brands. Again, fantastic for buyers, not so much for sellers.

8. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    If you look a new and used prices on say, PRS guitars, you’ll see a fairly strong similarity between Spector new and used prices.

CEs retail north of 2k. Used they dip as low as $1200.

9. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Hmm, I'm due a new guitar and have always wanted a PRS. I haven't really looked at the guitar used market in a long time so if I start getting GAS pains, I'm blaming you. :laugh:

TonyP- and tbz like this.
  10. bste9

bste9 Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    got any more details on this Euro 5? I'm in your same area and have been looking for a 5 at a decent price depending on the specs.

11. Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    That's kind of tough, I think. Do you mean older Forte, or current? Older ones I think were maple wings, then maple tops. Current ones are Swamp Ash wings.

The Trans Black finished Euro 4LX ticks off the Black Matte and maple top nicely, I think. But of course, it will have crown inlays instead of bare board and the board is Rosewood as opposed to Pau Ferro.

Pickups are another check, as they have the EMGs (though newer Fortes have the EMG-X as standard, but you can order Aguilars as well).

Preamp on Euro 4LX would be Tonepump (or Darkglass TC on Euro 4LT), while stock preamp on Fortes is the Aguilar OBP-2 (seems a lot order the HAZ option or replace it later with a HAZ or HAZ clone).

There are no Swamp Ash Euros if that's what you're after, though there is a Legend (or whatever the new name is, drawing a blank).

What is it about the Forte you wish to emulate? To me, a matte finish, lack of inlays, and black hardware is what makes them recognizable. After that, it would be the Swamp Ash in the latest builds.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    marchone, e.rich and tbz like this.
  12. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    The Euro4 I have up in the classifieds is pretty comparable to the original Fortes. Solid maple wings. Natural matte vs black matte. Gold hardware vs black; has inlays vs doesn’t on the Forte. And is running an 18V Haz, which would have been an upgrade on the Forte from the factory. Just sayin’. :thumbsup:

13. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Thanks for responding.

Pickups and electronics first. The P/J NS2 sound. Appearance is secondary though the matte finish, and no fret markers are appealing.

At list price new for a Euro LT4 it may be prudent to wait for an older Forte4 to show up. A NY build is appealing. I’m not ready yet. Two new basses this past year have me on the sidelines till 2022.

14. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    That is a stone cold beauty.

e.rich likes this.
  15. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's hard to compare USA and Euro. While both are excellent basses, the USAs show their superiority in craftsmanship, hardware, and electronics. Just find a good used Euro4 LX and put a 9v HAZ in it and you will be golden. Used Spectors are great. Some are overpriced, but there are many good deals out there. A good deal will pay for the HAZ. NS body, EMG pickups, and 9v Tone Circuit will give you the perfect foundation.
    It's just economics. Supply and demand. What the market will bear is the fair price, as much as we may wish it weren't.

TinIndian, marchone and Mikewhittaker like this.
  16. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    I just got a e mail from Taylor at Spector because I want to change the preamp in my euro 5lx and wanted the haz. He said the haz won't fit in the euro without drilling the holes bigger for and chiseling some of the cavity it so the preamp fits. Mine also has the EMG TW's for pickups. So Taylor agreed with me that I should try it the Delano Sonar 3 preamp. Best bass gear is going to do prewire in a stacked pod to make it 4 knobs instead of 5 and set it up for 18 volt. Should be a AWESOME set up! I can't wait!! The TW's are great pickups, I just hate that there is no mid adjustment with the tone pump. The Delano has three different mid options on the preamp.

dpaul and gclark51 like this.
  17. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021

Attached Files:

18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I really wanna get my hands on a USA Spector. But probably not wise for my wallet. Without handling one, It's hard to fathom a USA being markedly better than my all maple euro 4. It has Schaller hardware, EMG-X's, and and an SNC-HAZ clone. Anyone local have one I can try? :D

TonyP- likes this.
  19. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Taylor sounds new, and also it's been my experience that they don't want to mod Euros. I have put the 9v HAZ in 5-6 Euros and yes, you do have to ream out the pot holes a bit, but they fit in the cavity just fine. Any decent tech can install the HAZ.

dpaul, TonyP- and Mikewhittaker like this.
  20. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    If you buy your Euro from Jason at Fret Nation he will have the HAZ installed for you.

Mikewhittaker and 68Goldfish like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021