SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Wow. That’s the penultimate Spector NS-2 right there. How long did your delivery take?

2. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    The second to last?

Cazman and marchone like this.
  3. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    I just received my Delano Sonar 3 MS/E preamp and new knobs for my Spector lx5. Hopefully getting it installed tomorrow and hoping it is worth it.... Suppose to be awesome combination with the EMG TW's that came with the bass. Won't know unless I try. If I don't like it I'm saving up for the haz and some EMG X pickups. Probably still going to get the HAZ and EMG X but not till next year. Unless I find something better...

Attached Files:

TinIndian, dpaul and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  4. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    You're right and I stand corrected. It’s the Ultimate Spector NS-2.

AB Nate and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  5. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Try these.... a little pricey..... but the best I've ever played on in over 5.5 decades of buying and trying strings.
    upload_2021-7-30_16-16-35.png

Mikewhittaker likes this.
  6. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    We’ll…. Surely the Dealer had to wait a bit… but I picked it the day it came in soooooo…5 days to me!

marchone likes this.
  7. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Nah, the way Spectors work is every one you buy is the penultimate one (because you'll always buy another!).:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

8. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    A "little" pricey? Just how much are those gigs paying you??? :D

I've been hesitant to get a set of those pricey Thomastik flats and flats can last years... How often are you replacing those?

9. dirkhh

dirkhh Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Portland, OR
    Ouch. That's hitting too close to home.

Holdsg likes this.
  10. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    Looks close to mine, but I know yours is a lot better! You are just missing a string lol

Attached Files:

11. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021

Attached Files:

12. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Another thumbs up for EB slinkies. Love em.

13. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    I was using Rotos Nexus strings but I have 4 strings, at about $36 to $40 a set. And getting about a good 6 to 7 months.

The Optima 24 Kt golds are last at least a year and a half for me. Sound great, feel slick. And the gold doesn't chip or wear off. Last set I bought was around $72.

So I have them on my fretted USA NS4s and even on my Ric. I love 'em. And everyone that has ever tried my basses are crazy about them too.

I figure if I have good equipment and great basses, I deserve great strings.

14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    BTW... My #1 bass is my Bahama Blue NS4. I had sent a new set of string to Jimmy to set it up with. I received that bass in late spring 2019. I just changed that set out about a month ago.

Arthur U. Poon and Mikewhittaker like this.
  15. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Since I added mono scale basses back into my arsenal, I've been on a bit of a string quest. I get a 4-string and a 5-string set so I can demo the strings on my NS-4 and Forte 5. These are MY experiences. So far, in no particular order:
    -Dunlop Super Brights-I love the Super Brights. They have a bite and a sweetness that I don't hear with other strings. They project very well and the lifespan was pretty great.

-Rotosound Swing Bass 66-Not a fan. Good strings, just not as good as anything else I've tried. Everything about them was "meh". Plus the A from the 5-string set was too short. I had to take the A from the 4-string set and swap them to make it work on both basses.

-DR Hi Beams-Love the Hi Beams. They don't have the "sweetness" that I hear with the Super Brights, but they make up for that with what I'm calling "tonal articulation", LOL! You really seem to be able to hear lows, lo-mids, mids, hi-mids, and hi's. It could be wishful thinking, but that's how I feel about them. I have them on my basses now.

-DR Black Beauties-I so want to love coated strings, but they just seem to lack, everything. The kicker for me was they didn't really last any longer than some of the other strings I've tried. FYI, it's not just Black Beauties on my Spectors, I didn't really have that great of an experience with Payson Black Daggers on my Dingwalls, and I LOVE Payson strings! I happily go back and forth between Dingwall and Payson on my Dingwalls.

-Spector Nickels-I dig the strings that came on my NS-4. I assumed that they were the new Spector strings. I have sets for my 4 & 5 that I haven't put on yet, so they're next. The new Spector strings are made by LaBella, so I might see what else they have, since I keep LaBella Super Steps on my FBass BNF5 fretless. LaBella makes Fbass strings also...

TL;dr-Love Dunlop Super Brights & DR Hi Beams. Don't like Rotosounds or coated strings. Dig Spector strings, but I have two sets to try out. Also waiting on some GHS Boomers to try...

I'm so conflicted.

On one hand, I'm so stoked for you! That NS-2 is just [email protected], and I so love the black hardware! Congrats!

On the other hand, I'm so jealous that it's not my NS-2......:D:laugh::roflmao: Enjoy it, my brotha'!

16. DownUnder_Funk

DownUnder_Funk Gold Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Still hunting to find the right strings for my Euro…got a set of Fodera Nickels on there but a little too delicate for my ear.

Gonna try a set of EB Hybrid Slinkies in stainless, 45-105 hopefully will give me a little more aggression than the Foderas. Will also incidentally be my first experience with SS!

17. Katoosie

Katoosie Chocolate is the best Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    @pbass6811
    What kinda tension do the hi beams have? Are they tight or floppy?

BrentSimons likes this.
  18. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I'd honestly say neither. The tension is perfect for me. It's not so tight that you feel like you have to play harder to get what you want, but it's not so floppy that they feel like noodles and have no bounce. The Rotosounds felt way tighter. I like the tension of the DR's.

BrentSimons, FatCity and Katoosie like this.
  19. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    Anyone looking to buy any of these awesome Spector's go to Ish guitars on line. Or send me a message.

Attached Files:

iruyle likes this.
  20. Compared to a string like Lo-Riders, they are looser feeling. If you dig in they will readily bend moreso than DR's hex-core strings or any D'Addario string.

Mikewhittaker likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021