SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    I would love to see the Nathan Navarro style back-to-back comparisons of a preamp. Same bass, same groove, just different preamps to really hear the difference.
    Like this

Or like this guy

2. Calvinc4s

Calvinc4s Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2019
    I listened to a bunch of sound cloud samples found on this sight of different pre-amps. None of them
    portrayed the dynamic effects that you can only experience when playing them.

I'm not familiar enough with the terminology to articulate it but it's similar to compression effects in my mind. You need to play them to find where they open/close or respond to your playing.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    SNCpre, TinIndian and Mikewhittaker like this.
  3. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    @nnavarro any chance?

mb94952 and Mikewhittaker like this.
  4. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    True, but a well made video can get you an idea of what you are in for.

It would be a lot of work to swap in all those different preamps... unless you had a modular plug and play setup. I'm working on such a system for one of my project basses

5. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    I saw this question yesterday and see nobody replied.. I don't know much about them, but I think they would make any finish you wanted if you contact Spector and order what you are looking for?

Relayer71 and Relsom like this.
  6. The trick to correcting this issue is to actually dial back the bass control a little bit. The FOH system will likely be able to produce ample bass even with the bass control dialled back. On the other hand, you, on stage, can then boost the volume of your amp and get a tonne more clarity. If you boost the bass on the OBP, you may be fighting that critical midrange clarity.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My January 2019 USA single cut has a oil body and neck. But I do believe that was the last month that Stuart Spector was there, so that may have gone out the door w him.... At least he signed the back of my headstock before he left! ;)

20201129_131253.jpg 20201129_131029.jpg 20201129_131155.jpg 20201129_131053.jpg 20201129_131138.jpg 20201129_131111.jpg

bassgiant15, mb94952, Thundar and 6 others like this.
  8. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    So .. it's all your fault he left huh? Lol. Just kidding. Nice bass!!! We need a King Quad on here so you guys can do a bass battle

Quadzilla likes this.
  9. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Yeah, after reading more posts about folks in contact with them about special build requests I figured that it would still be an option. The new website doesn't break it down the way it was done before Korg took over.

Mikewhittaker likes this.
  10. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    Mikewhittaker and Quadzilla like this.
  11. Quadzilla

Lol, that would be fun!!!

12. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    I'm just "King Cinco" or Cincozilla cause I play the 5 string

Quadzilla likes this.
  13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Good Lord!!
    First of all, Nathan knows how to produce an excellent sound with his hands, and the different techniques that he uses. He’s got incredible skills.

I was also not at all surprised that I thought the Spector was the best sounding bass of the bunch.

14. Quadzilla

Lol!!!

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    mb94952, andynj65 and Mikewhittaker like this.
  16. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Just covering my, you know...;)

17. YaPeL

YaPeL

Feb 25, 2016
    I'm going to get a lot of hate for what I'm about to say, but, to me, the preamp is really one of the least important things on my bass, I get most of my sound using my helix, if I go directly to a cab, I use that eq, the one on my bass is flat 99% of the time, I just use it when I need to add some very minors adjustment.

Arthur U. Poon and Mikewhittaker like this.
  18. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    No hate from me. Everyone has their own sound and if that's what works for you than that's all that counts....

19. beatdatthang

beatdatthang Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yep. Conversely to what YaPeL said, what I love most about my Spectors is that they sound pretty much perfect dry through just about any rig I plug them into. I don’t need to really color the signal much at all to make them sound incredible. Plug and play. Who needs pedals and effects? ;)

20. fibz

fibz

Jan 1, 2014
    Germany
    I could only offer my samples found here
    firebrain

I’ve recorded several Spectors and preamps and pickups also. The only downside is that I used different songs. All pres were boosted to 100% and are DI signals.

mb94952, BassikBrad and Mikewhittaker like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021