SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Based on some newer Korean serial numbers I've seen, they're still being made my WMI.
    It's not like Korg completely gutted the manufacturing process. Like you said, as an example, everyone who was a NBE in Czech before Korg is still there. I'm sure if anything changed at NBE or WMI, Ned Steinberger would have to deal with it - he's using the same folks to build all of his instruments.

Arthur U. Poon and Mikewhittaker like this.
  2. dpaul

dpaul Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Florence, NJ
    Gigging near Princeton NJ tonight with my Bellar Spector NS-5XL 165644BE-D52E-49A6-93D1-7CF987607C38.jpeg

3. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    I think people are too precious about what makes a "Spector" a Spector, tbh. The brand is nearly 50 years old. The original fans of the brand aren't going to be around forever, they're going to have to attract a new breed of customer.

Anything that Spector makes and put a Spector logo on is ostensibly a Spector. They're gonna have to reinvent themselves, at least a little bit, to stay relevant in the market. To me, that's a good thing. Keeps things from getting stale, and keeps things moving forward.

I don't think they should totally abandon their history or tradition, but that doesn't mean they should keep making the same basses over and over again forever. They aren't Gibson or Fender - they're kind of in a unique position - the modern bass market is IMO more forgiving and less beholden to tradition than the guitar market is. Why shouldn't they try to explore that?

4. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    I use the SVT 4 with either the refrigerator 8 10 classic cab or the mini fridge 4 10. Definitely = Classic Combination! I love Ampeg, but there's so many I haven't tried yet. So I can't speak for anything else. I do love Mesa too though

Arthur U. Poon and Dave W like this.
  5. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Tough choice. I’ve had and used all three amps your talking about here. Hard to go wrong with any of them. If it were me I’d go for the 800rb. Super classic tone that pairs perfectly with the Spector/haz combo. Either way I predict lots of smiles on your face.

6. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    I have a couple minor QC issues with my bass that don't bother me a bit. They make it original lol. Not sure what caused the tiny dot next to the marker inlay... Then the fret board has a slight bump on the side of the neck you can't really see in pictures and two white dots on the front. But the tone of this bass is incredible and these defects prove it was made by human hands. I'm not perfect either and have defects so my bass is a perfect match lol 20211124_190020.jpg 20211124_191737.jpg 20211124_191818.jpg 20211124_190239.jpg

BassikBrad, Relayer71, dpaul and 2 others like this.
  7. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    I agree.

I hope they hit a good spot in the market with the pulse line as they are a solid option for price and I don’t expect everything they put out to be a homerun, according to one individual.
    The industry needs innovators and the brands I love I hope will trail blaze vs run an old road to rutsville.
    It does seem they’ve been just throwing a lot of ideas at the wall over the last few years hoping something sticks. I do commend the effort but am not enamoured with the method.

perhaps giving the custom shop some flex to actually try some different things and get some feedback before just throwing another Production line out there could yield better results.

Eric Aquilina and Mikewhittaker like this.
  8. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    derail: this reminded me of how I felt about Metallica. Haha.

they should have kept writing and changed their name but retired the brand after the black album.

But they did continue to make A Load.
    A load of “meh”tal and a Load of MONEY. So it’s a good thing I wasn’t their business manager…

9. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    For our brothers and sisters in the USA.
    thanks.jpg

VICROCKBASS, iruyle, e.rich and 12 others like this.
  10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    I took the 800RB and the V4B. I’ll go with the V4B for the first set and see what happens...

andynj65 and Mikewhittaker like this.
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Looking at your amp setups, I’d happily rock through any of them!!!

And an SVT-II through an NV610 has got to be quite a pleasure to play through.:bassist:

Dave W, andynj65 and Mikewhittaker like this.
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    IMHO the things you’ve pointed out are so minor, I wouldn’t worry at all about them.

BTW, I was asked to sit-in for a Christmas Party for one of our local Police Departments. I haven’t played a real gig in probably 12 years. Being a Truck Driver doesn’t make it easy to commit to a band. So, needless to say, I’m pretty excited.

The set list contains some Country, (Welcome to Ogden, Utah.) but I’m still taking my Euro 6LT to the gig.

I don’t envision that I’ll need a bunch of volume, so I’m taking my tried and true “small” amp setup:
    My pair of Aguilar GS112’s and my Demeter HBP-1/Crest CA9.

But I’m also going to try my GED-2112 out, using one cabinet for a dirty-ish signal and the other cabinet for my clean-ish signal. I may as well have a bit of fun!

Eagles songs on a 6-string with a hard rock tone.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    bobunit, tbz, andynj65 and 4 others like this.
  13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-

I haven’t seen an RST locally to try out yet, but I would like to check out the sound of the Aggie pickups and preamp in a Spector.

I agree: Korg is trying to “grow” the Spector brand. I personally think it’s a good thing, though. I know some local bassists that have passed on Spector for years because they have EMGs. And I know other folks who will only play basses with passive pickups.

If offering Bartolini or Aguilar pickups in a few models inspires these folks to try a Spector out, I personally think it’s a good thing for the Spector brand.

Hopefully they’ll consider re-introducing the
    Euro-4 1977LE and/or the Euro-1979LE with the DiMarzio pickups. I’m still kicking myself for not snagging one when they were available.

andynj65 and Rod Harder like this.
  14. beatdatthang

beatdatthang Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    Correction: BEFORE the black album. They sold out hard for the black album. They peaked musically with …And Justice for All

The Black album was a slap in the face for a lot of old school Metallica fans. Metallica publicly stated they’d never do videos or radio tunes and then they sold out for the money and the mainstream MTV fame. That’s cool for them, but I haven’t bought an album since.

Relayer71 and AB Nate like this.
  15. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    I didn't mean you specifically. And I'm not defending Korg, just think that there is always a gut reaction to any change when it comes to the things we care about or are big fans of.

I actually agree with you on the RST, I think I mentioned previously that it was very reminiscent of the Ibanez SR Premium line. They look great, but too close to the Ibbys.

AB Nate likes this.
  16. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I know….:bag: I’m guilty of still liking it and finding it likeable enough to pass

beatdatthang likes this.
  17. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Well, they peaked technically with Justice, but to me Master of Puppets was their peak. It's like they didn't know what to do after the awesomeness of Puppets and they went all the way in one direction (more progressive, longer songs) and then in the other (more radio friendly, simpler songs). I stopped caring at that point.

AB Nate and beatdatthang like this.
  18. beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    The black album in and of itself isn’t terrible, it’s just not what I think of when I want thrash metal Metallica. :D

19. beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    That’s what I was kinda going for. Listening to the first 4 albums in sequence you hear that progression and them mastering their craft, but listening to any song off Puppets or Justice and then any song from the Black album and it’s like, “what happened?”

AB Nate and Relayer71 like this.
  20. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Forte Collector - not done yet

In my experience, I've had nothing but excellent service and communication from Taylor and everyone at Spector since the changes in ownership.
    I have been involved with Spector as a both a dealer, and an endorsed artist, since 1998 and there's no denying that it's a different company than it was 5-10 years ago. There's also no denying that Spector is a brand that's seen incredible growth in market share over the past few years. Sweetwater is a great example of this, Spector used to be a niche brand that many of us held as "our brand" and were fiercely protective of the brand.
    Korg has taken the brand and given it a much greater audience and brand exposure and this is something that Spector struggled with for years. It was notorious for being the "best basses you never heard of" for so long.
    Enjoy your Brooklyn, Kramer, Woodstock, and Korg era basses. They share a legacy and heritage that still exists in every bass that has the Spector logo on the headstock, so whatever the future holds doesn't diminish the past, or the future.

kev451, pbass6811, vin088xk1 and 9 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021