SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    You're right, not a terrible album. But not the sound they helped pioneer. They sounded like your average hard rock band, without a killer vocalist! But I'm a sucker for mood and catchy ballads and think The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters are great songs. Those two and Sad But True are the winners on that album for me.

2. beatdatthang

beatdatthang Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    To me, it sounded like a band that went through a midlife crisis or even a project band for Hetfield who wanted to “slow it down” a little. They lost what made them special, IMO. Oh, and Lars still sucks…

bste9, Relayer71 and AB Nate like this.
  3. Mikewhittaker

Mikewhittaker

Jul 10, 2021
    That's cool! I just played a show in Oswego NY last Friday. Never played with the guitarist, keyboards or even met the guys. Just my brother on drums and I. Rehearsed one song and then made up the music for the next couple hours. These guys are professionals. (Well we all were) but one teaches at a university and the other travels the country...Most fun I have had in a long time. It was definitely different....

Sure you will have a awesome time and a lot of fun. I want to get a 6 string. I would consider a trade for a 6 string I think... I know 6 strings are worth a little more than 5 though so... Plus I really like my bass. I just need to start a collection of basses......

Spectors are addictive. Need to start a Spector anonymous club and show pictures of all the things we could of had if we never played a Spector

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Relayer71 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  4. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Agree. Again, I gave it a by and was hoping no one would notice. Hehe

beatdatthang and Mikewhittaker like this.
  5. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    My friend of misery of wolf and man. poopie, I may have to go back and listen to that album now… it’s surely been 20 yrs since I’ve listened to that thru.

Mikewhittaker likes this.
  6. jack7265

jack7265 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Avondale, La
    You didn't mention the SSD era. However, you may be possibly including it as the beginning of the Woodstock era. Either way, I have a bass from each of the different eras, which is kind of cool...:thumbsup:

7. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    What, why ?

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  8. Squiddy McSquidbass finally lobbed.

tempImage5SF5L1.png tempImageQtZKIP.png tempImageiPAkY4.png tempImagePMF3Mc.png tempImagexKj03p.png

beatdatthang, e.rich, djaxup and 17 others like this.
  9. Here in the UK, Bass Direct has them both still in stock (one each). They also ship to the US.

Mikewhittaker and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  10. jymyben

jymyben Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    djaxup, jack7265, AudioTaper and 3 others like this.
  11. jymyben, djaxup, jack7265 and 6 others like this.
  12. jymyben

jymyben Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Mikewhittaker, andynj65 and Flabzilla like this.
  13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I know, right?!? :D

Mikewhittaker likes this.
  14. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    There's a prejudice against EMGs. Largely in the guitar community, but also just from vintage purists who don't like active electronics or think that they sound sterile.

I kind of still sort of agree that EMGs are really not great pickups for most guitarists - there's a reason why in that space they've mostly been embraced by the metal community (great for scooped, high gain tones, not so great for warm cleans) BUT it's a totally different story on basses, IMO.

I was skeptical about EMGs too until I played a Spector with them. Now I get the EMG thing, at least when it comes to basses.

andynj65, djaxup, BassikBrad and 6 others like this.
  15. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    djaxup and Flabzilla like this.
  16. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Oh yeah, true. The pickups (81/85 IIRC) were so good for metal that nobody wanted anything else - then the snobs came and complained they sounded like everybody else (well duh) and that's it : there was a "prejudice". Come on now :)

17. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    I literally don't understand the point you're trying to make.

18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Back to basses for a bit...

I'm eyeing the dimension 5, B stock with full warranty and an be all maple euro (non-lx) 5, stock.

I have an all maple euro 4 that I love, but like the idea of fanned fret. What are opinions comparing these two basses? The euro is about $500 less.

Rod Harder likes this.
  19. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    I thought that was a guitarist thing and we were above that - could be I was wrong and missed something ? What was the prejudice against emg bass pickups exactly ?

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  20. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    We’re below them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021