SPECTOR® Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Sonically speaking of course.

andynj65 likes this.
  2. I've always loved the sound of EMG pickups on bass, ever since hearing Victor Wooten's 'A Show of Hands' as s teenager. I was so impressed by that bright, articulate and musical sound that he had. It really sounded like a million bucks!

It was in fact that tone that first drew me to Spector basses. I can still remember the first one I tried, at Sound Control in Newcastle many years ago. They got some Euros in with EMG P/J's. I remember there being a bit of a buzz on the internet at the time about Victor Wooten and people recommended the Spector Euro as a usefully more affordable analog to his Fodera #1. I loved Spector basses from the first time I heard them.

I know I may be one of relatively few bassists who came to Spector through Victor Wooten but that speaks to their broad appeal.

In the past month I have just really been getting to grips with my early Czech NS5CR. I think I love this bass more with every passing day. The tone is really just thunderous.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hi, Everyone!!! Here’s a little update on the situation with the trussrod issue that @MojaveVox has with his Kramer-era Spector:

I reached out to Jimmy Eppard on FB via a private message. He responded on how to extract the trussrod with a tool that can be easily fabricated. He said he’s never failed to remove a faulty trussrod, and fingerboard removal shouldn’t be necessary.

I forwarded a print screen of Jimmy’s response via PM to MojaveVox, so he can pass it along to the luthier he takes his bass to.

4. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hello guys it’s been a bit, but had a quick question, can you turn an 9v Haz to an 18v ? And if so has anyone tried it and what were the results ? Thanks I hope everyone is having a great day filled with family and friends, love and health.

andynj65 likes this.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I think I was turned onto EMG pickups pretty early in their existence, by a really good luthier in my area. He was really impressed with their tone, and performance. It was the first time I’d heard of EMGs.

I believe I bought my first EMG P pickup in 1984, and my luthier installed it into my P-Bass. I didn’t have an internal preamp added to my bass along with it. The pickup went straight to my volume and tone controls. in fact, I’m not sure if they had brought their internal preamps out on the market at that time. -At least I wasn’t aware of them.

I instantly became a huge fan of EMGs. I bought a pawn shop, basket case early 70’s Jazz Bass, which was in parts, contained in a box, and I took it to my luthier. I had him reassemble and refinish the bass. I then had him install Schaller tuning gears, and Straplocks, a Badass-II bridge, and a set of EMG J pickups into it.

My EMG equipped P-Bass and Jazz Bass became my main gigging basses for easily the next 15 years.

I remember back in the 90’s spotting a used Spector on the wall at a local music store. It was the first Czech- made Spector that I’d seen. It was probably the third Spector I’d ever laid my hands on. And I was amazed by it’s sound and playability. It had a beautiful cherry sunburst finish. Unfortunately for me, I couldn’t afford it. It was definitely one of those ones that “Got Away”.

I really wish the Czech factory would offer the high gloss cherry sunburst finish again.

6. I hear that! A gorgeous and iconic colour that is due a comeback. You never know, since the flat red/white/black of the Euro Classic models is back on the books, clearly Spector are willing to revisit the classic colours.

7. Jason Bonilla

Jason Bonilla Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Speaking of Euro classics, I have a Euro 5 classic on my mind, has anyone here played or owned/still own one? How is the neck profile compared to a regular euro 5 neck? Is it any thinner?

Mikewhittaker likes this.
  8. Vinny Tomassetti

Vinny Tomassetti

Nov 9, 2014
    Artist for: Spector, Markbass, Pigtronix, Walrus Audio, MONO & Daniel Mari Strings
    You most definitely cannot convert a 9v Haz to 18v, you will fry it. There is no need for it either, as that preamp is perfect as is.

9. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Need more power out of it, seems to lack it. I’m not running it through a cheap rig either. I mean if I can’t get the power sonically I’ll just remove the Haz and put in something else.

Mikewhittaker likes this.
  10. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    This is not how it works - the voltage of the circuit has nothing to do with the dB boost it has. Typically 18v circuits might have a little bit more headroom, but they won't be louder necessarily. Also I'm not sure what the cost of your rig has to do with anything either lol

Could be useful to define exactly what you mean by "power" though. I'm interpreting it as volume... is that what you mean?

fibz and iruyle like this.
  11. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    my reply was just to say the rig itself is a good one.
    And more headroom to an extent could push things a bit more. I’ve played preamps which were in a 9V state then the very same ones in the 18V version and there was a noticiable boost in overall volume and just power overall.
    But if the 9V Haz work give me the power I’m looking for I’ll just remove it. I’d drop in the Aggie OBP3 and wire it for 18V. Had a White Euro with that config and it had power and great volume and presence. Chances are that’s what I’ll do.
    But thanks guys for the info appreciate it :)

Arthur U. Poon and Mikewhittaker like this.
  12. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    What pick ups are you running and did you check their height?

tbz, Mikewhittaker and FlabbyDaddy like this.
  13. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Weird. I normally just adjust input gain or raise pickups if a bass sounds anemic.

Out of the 4 Spectors I own with 9v Haz pres I don’t think a single one sounds too quiet.

I have noticed that hitting the “active” switch on most amps doesn’t quite work with the haz the way it would with some other pres. But in those cases I just disable the active switch on the amp and adjust input gain as needed.

I’ve never noticed the phenomenon you’re mentioning though. Extra voltage doesn’t equate to extra output. Just extra clean headroom.

Mikewhittaker and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  14. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Standard EMGs.

lizardking837 likes this.
  15. beatdatthang

beatdatthang Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    Doesn’t make sense to me at all… My 9V HAZ is the most “powerful” preamp I own and is plenty hot. I’ve played a Dingwall NG3 with the 18V Darkglass TC and the HAZ is hotter and louder. I have an 18V in my EBMM Big Al and it isn’t half as “powerful”. That’s part of the allure of the HAZ.

Maybe there’s a problem with your HAZ? If you do decide to replace it, I doubt you’ll have any issue selling it here.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021 at 1:37 PM
  16. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Maybe that could be the issue, I’m going to try a couple of different preamps in it. I’ve got a Kramer version and a mighty mite version. I may end up swapping it out.

17. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Sounds like a pick up output issue to me. How much gap between your strings and pups?

either that or you’ve got something tapping your signal on its way out.

Mikewhittaker, kev451 and iruyle like this.
  18. iruyle

iruyle Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Charlotte
    This for me too. No higher volume output between any of my 9v and their 18v counterparts.

Mikewhittaker and tbz like this.
  19. kev451

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Would your input Jack kill some output if it’s bad ?

20. Vinny Tomassetti

Vinny Tomassetti

Nov 9, 2014
    Artist for: Spector, Markbass, Pigtronix, Walrus Audio, MONO & Daniel Mari Strings
    Weird! I never had a problem, in just about 25 years of playing Spector’s, with a Haz not being powerful enough. Try the basics like & different battery & raising the pickup height. If you do get to the point of selling it, hit me up.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021