Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector 18v Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MJ5150, Dec 10, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Has anyone done this to their Spector?

I have a NS2000/Q5 that I am considering doing it to. I will have to have a friend do it since I do not trust my shaky hands with a solder iron.

Does it really make a difference? What will I notice different after I am done? What will change?

-Mike

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes, there is a review in TB. RevGroove had it done. He put DC40's and an 18v pre in a Spector and said it made the world of difference. Do a search....

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I saw the comments from RevGroove about it. I am not going to be upgrading the pick-ups though. Just thinkin about doin the upgrade from 9v to 18v.

I was looking for a more specific idea of what I can expect to improve. It sounds great, awesome, made a world of difference doesn't really tell me what is different.

-Mike

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I "was told" that it deosn't make that much of a difference in the tone. Just a boost in signal. But I never personally treid it.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I did the mod to 18V with the stock pickups.
    Boosts the signal a bit, firmed up the bottom,
    and added a bit more growl up top.

Slug

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Aha.....thanks slugworth for taking the time to reply.....your reply is exactly what i was looking for.....i am gonna go for it, i think i will like what will come from this inexpensive mod...

..now if i can scrounge up $2 from the floor in my truck, off to Radio Shack i go...

-Mike

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Is that seriously all it takes?

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, it is Ric....the process is completely reversible, so no permanent damage will be done to my bass if I don't like it after all.
    I just had to be sure it was something worth doin in the first place. People saying, "it sounds great" doesn't mean much.

-Mike

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    $2 and radio shack, What do you need? How do you do it?

10. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Three 9V battery clips and two 9V batteries. All you have to do is connect the three battery clips in series, connect the batteries to two of them, and connect the third to the clip already inside the bass, like so:

[​IMG]

For a better explanation, go here, and scroll down to the bottom.

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Good thing Bob finally got that graphic fixed. I and another Talkbasser, in a thread similar to this, noticed that he incorrectly had the leeds to one of the clips switched around, thus causing polarity problems.

A couple guys said they had tried it and couldn't figure out why their basses went dead.

Emailed Bob about it. No response (or thanks for the catch), but I guess he got the message.

It will indeed work as shown now.

PS. It is irrelavent which clip is used for the preamp clip and which other two are used for the batteries. In this configuration it is all universal.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK, first off, I lied. It cost me $2.70 at my local Radio Shack. I got a package of five.

Second, I tried using the harness as shown in the graphic. My buddy who is good with a solder iron is out of town for a few days, and I am really excited to see how this works.

It does not work. I wired it up EXACTLY as shown in the diagram above. I am using brand new Duracell 9v batteries. I checked each battery, and they power the bass just fine alone. I hooked it up just as shown above, and I get nothing out of my bass. Totally dead. The only thing I can think of that I did wrong was connecting the wires from each to clip to the other. I did not solder them. I twisted them together tightly, and wrapped them in electrical tape. Was that bad?

-Mike

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You connected each one red to black, black to red right? Not trying to say you can't read the diagram, just making sure. I know sometimes I've wired something wrong and end up looking at it so many times that the obvious things eludes me.

I've done this a bunch of times, it's a nice cheap reversible way of doing the upgrade. I've always soldered, twisting should work ok too but for a permanent solution I'd recommend soldering.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    hey davidmwilson....thank you for the reply.....i checked my wiring twice....to eliminate missing the obvious, i even had my son look at it and compare it to the diagram......i bet it looked rather silly with my son and i holding this harness up to the monitor and verifying it several times....neighbors prolly think we're nuts now.....it is wired according to the above diagram precisely....i am going to have it soldered hopefully on Monday

-Mike

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Check your inbox...but the answer to what it will do to your tone...adds a lot of beef. Nicer lows without muddiness, really makes your tone...another word I used...was buttery.

I had another thought...assuming the link I sent you wasn't upgraded to the current diagram...is it possible there's a break in one of the wires? If they're not soldered yet, try swapping them each one out to see if another clip will work.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I FIXED IT!! Man, I am so proud of myself. Well, actually I am happy to be a part of this forum, and the cool folks that hang around to help dorks like me. You guys are the one that fixed it.

One of the battery clips was bad, seriously. I never would have assumed that. I figured since it was brand new, right out of the package from Radio Shack, that it would work fine for sure. Well, I was wrong. I took apart my little harness, and replaced one battery clip at a time. After the second try, I hooked it all up and it works fine. It is hooked up with electrical tape right now, but I am going to have it all soldered together on Monday.

Man, I can tell the difference on my little 8" Kay practice amp. I can't wait to play on my big rig tomorrow!!! Man, this baby sounds BEEFY! Nice call on the mod whoever thought of it!

davidmwilson....RevGroove....THANK YOU kindly for your help, and suggestions.

-Mike

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Happy to help man!:D

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no problem, glad to help!

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    UPDATE.......well, I decided not to be a sissy and hide from a soldering iron, so I went to the Home Depot and bought one. It helped alot that my son looked at me and asked why we just don't do the solder joints ourselves. DOH!

Just got home from the HD, fired up the solder iron, and made my connections secure. After that I wrapped them in electrical tape to insulate them. Was that OK? Is there something better than the electrical tape?

-Mike

20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This was going to be my suggestion, but you already figured it out. :)
    Anytime you get 5 clips for under $3 they're not going to be the greatest clips.
    Consider going to a better electronic supplier than Radio Shack and spending a little more $ for better clips. The ones you have could die at any moment (mid gig, mid song :( ), especially condidering one was dead right out of the package.