Spector 1996 NS-5CR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edenman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Edenman

Aug 15, 2005
    Hi -

Can anyone tell me (for those who may or may not have this bass) their thoughts on this bass? in comparison to the USA made bass? What is the difference between the NS-5CR and the NS-5CRFM models?

Also, can anyone tell me what would be a fair or very good price to buy a bass like this used?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Edenman

Aug 15, 2005
    Addendum to original post -

I was originally posting because someone is selling it used for what I think is a good price. However, this person mentioned that the bass did not come with a serial number? Is that odd, or is that normal for a czech-made NS-5?

Just to make sure: other features include 34" scale neck, active EMG humbuckers, dot inlays, gold hardware, blueburst - not a Rebop.

thoughts? is this an SSD NS-5CR?
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    First off, a '95 will be marked "SSD" (Stuart Spector Design) and have an alternate logo on the headstock as Stuart hadn't recovered the "Spector" trademark until 1998. Other than that, the quality is the same to "Spectors" and you can sometimes get a better deal because of that.

In general the rep for the Czech Spectors are extremely high compared to the USA-built models. The USAs generally have higher-quality tops (and the Czech tops are nothing to sneeze at, we're talking moving from AA to AAAA) and the availability of exotic tops (buckeye burl, spalted maple, etc), abalone crown inlays as opposed to dot inlays (mother-of-pearl crowns on the euros came later in the 90's I believe), a larger choice of oil finishes as well as gloss, the option of a piezo bridge, and more hands-on fit and finish. Absolutely wonderful instruments and worth the money, but the Czectors give them a run for their money at 1/3rd the price.

The FM has a Flame Maple top and a transparent finish. The standard 5CR at the time was a solid paint finish.

About the same as the average Euro would run, minus the wear and tear an older bass would have and if it has dots opposed to crowns and a solid finish and not transparent. I'd guess $6-700, but will absolutely defer to anyone with more experience in this area.

It could be an early model. Try giving PJ @ Spector a ring for more info - I've heard he's outstanding with customer service even when they're not going to make any money off the deal. :D

Sounds like a mid-90's SSD NS-5CRFM to me. If it's a good deal grab it.