Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector 5 string Basses Which Strings sound best?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, Jul 12, 2004.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I have two spector basses a NS5CRFM and cheaper korean (but still neck thru :) ) NS2000/5 both are 5 strings and I want to know what are the best strings to use? I have read DR Low riders are good with spector 5 strings but which gauge? Also has anyone tried Spector's strings on a spector bass?
    I'm just trying to get ideas on which strings to use and which gauge either medium or medium light. I play mostly rock and roll from classic stuff to harder stuff

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have been going thru the same string thing myself. I just put on my first set of Low Riders and so far I am very pleased. (Medium Gauge)

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i like dean markley sr2000s.

whichever gauge has the .128 B.

4. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

I just bought a Spector from the factory with what I'm assuming are Spector strings. They seem to be stainless, not nickel. I prefer nickel. Stainless just feels weird on the wider gauge strings.

5. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Spector's stainless steel strings are tapered. If the strings you have aren't, they aren't stainless Spector strings. Just FYI.

Tom

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i tried but failed to get some SR2000's the other day, which are normally what i use on all my basses, but i threw on a set of d'addario xl's which i've had in my bass box that i kepp all my spare batteries, tuner, tool, minidisc recorder,blah blah in that i had all but forgotten about...i used them to record all day today and i did a party yesterday, and i was quite pleased with them...xl's are non-taperwound nickel strings (this was actually a 6 string set but i only used 5 of the strings -duh- guages .045, .065, .085, .105, .130)...i may keep them on for a while...

:hyper:

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The strings that come on Euro's are Nickel. They are actually made just down the street from the shop over there.

Personally, I use the DR Extra Life (colored) or High Beams on my Euro and Legend basses.