Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector 5??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, May 8, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Is it just me or has the Czech Made SPECTOR 5 (ns5crfm) have a less figured look than the 4 string. The one i am thinking of is the Green stain version. I remember someone posted a pic of there NS4CRFM in Green Stain and it looked really sweet (highly figured) but all the other pictures of this bass on other website's, the finish looks kind of bland.

Can Someone out there post a pic of A spector NS5CRFM or NS4CRFM?

Thanks.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When it comes to the Czech Spectors, sometimes the grade of maple vaires. This does not affect the GREATNESS of these basses. I've seen some that had incredible USA grade quilts & some looked like plain maple. Whatever grade quilt that is used, the bass plays, sounds & feels as good as ANY bass twice as much.

3. I agree that you will find more 4 stringers have the really figured maple compared to the 5 stringers. I also feel that this goes for the USA as well as the Czech Spectors.

I also agree with NINO that the extra figuring does not add to the tonality. A solid white or black Spector sounds the same as that mean green Spector you are talking about.

4. If you click on my profile , you can see my basses which includes a 1997 Spector NS5CRFM with a natural oil finish. The natural finish makes me keep this bass home most of the time, so the jazz gets most of the action right now.

5. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Maybe this is just me but what I have found is the fiver's are more likely to have flame maple while as the fours have figured.

6. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    I have a NS5CRFM. I agree that it hase more of a flame than a figure. The blue stain is also so dark that you cant really see it most of the time except under flourescent light when it really comes to life.
    Either way the bass was like 1100 new and sounds awesome so I dont care much about the way it looks.

7. Agreed (assmuing "figured" means quilted). Quilted maple is more figured looking than flame maple.
    But neither makes a difference in sound. Each individual piece of wood is slightly different in tone beacuse wood is not duplicated.