Spector 6-string vs. yammy 5-string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Aug 3, 2003.

which bass:

Poll closed Sep 2, 2003.
  1. THE YAMMY!!!

7 vote(s)

14 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok heres the low down: im getting a new bass soon, but i dont know if i want a 5 or a 6 string. if i get a 5 i will be getting this: [​IMG]

its a yamaha rbx 775 5 string, really love it. price is 499 (good price for it)

but if i get a 6-er this is what i would get:

its a spector ns 2000 Q6 6-String. i really like it as well. price: 599

now i havent been able to play either of these (or any spectors at all) so im wondering a few things. first of all do spectors have flat necks? i hate rounded necks and i know the yammy is flat like i like em. also, is this line of spectors a good quality? i know they are usually exspensive and i dont really know much about their lower line of products. any advice suggestions or stories about either of these would be great
  2. yeah i am really fond of it. especially the body shape, luv it! :D
  3. The most important thing is the number of strings in this place.. If I was you , I'd get the spector because I want a 6..
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  5. I'd get the Spector. I would never buy a bass from a company that makes motorcycles and jetskies as well. The 5 is kind of in a weird spot too so get the 6 string Spector. But again, it is your preference as to which one feels better to play and which one gives it that sound that you like. I played the 5 string version of that spector before and is was great. I'm not sure on that flat neck thing though.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh...you think Yamaha actually MAKES all that stuff?

They're pretty much a marketing company, not a manufacturing company.
  7. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    This quote is half right, half wrong. Yamaha Japan does not make everything.

Yamaha makes a lot of things. It also makes kitchens and bathrooms as well as furniture. And yes, Yamaha manufactures its own products. The Hammamatsu factory in Japan is open for tours if you do not believe me. And anyone who thinks of Yamaha as a sub-standard brand has not played its upper level instruments. A $300,000.00 Yamaha CF-III hand made grand piano is nothing to scoff at. In Japan we have access to more products than are shipped to America.

Yamaha also has factories in China and Korea that make the low-end bass and guitar products as well as some of the low and mid-fi stereo equipment. There is a Yamaha piano factory in Georgia USA also. Not all parts are made in house in these plants. Parts for guitars are sometimes independently contracted.

Sony and other large Japanese companies follow the same proceedures.

By the way, Yamaha motorcycles are quite nice.

Edit: There is also a manufacturing plant in Taiwan that manufactures guitars for Yamaha. I am not sure if this is a Yamaha plant or an independent. That company name is Kaohsiung Yamaha Co., Ltd.
  8. Look Mr. idon'tneednotstinkinavatar, you obvioiusly didn't understand the point I made. Yamaha is not just a guitar company like Spector for example is. The reply above this one clearly states that yamaha makes way more than just musical equipement, yes "makes" all of it's stuff. Not like the marketing blurb you said. I wonder who this aladdin guy is? He's probably someone who is involved with yamaha. I have seen lots of pro's using those yamaha pianos though.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Defeldus, I will try to actually address your question, instead of naming my favorite bass out of the ones that you mentioned, or going into a tirade about japanese mega corporations.

If you are referring to the shape of the back of the neck, the Spector probably isn't for you. The neck is very thick and rounded on the back, kinda like a Warwick, except Warwicks are thick and kind of square on the back.

Based on your neck preference, I would make sure that you play a Spector before you order one.
  10. That C isn't useful to me, or a bunch of people, plau the yamaha looks cooler.
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Man, your a smart one.

Let me guess, never played a yamaha bass in your life, huh.

Squier makes just "guitars" as you called those BASSES Spector makes, and those are so far below the higher end yamaha's it's not even funny.

Ever hear of a guy called nathen east?

Maybe you shouldn't post about things you do not fully know about.
  12. nah, im referring to the side of the neck where the frets are (the fingerboard). like take a fender, their fingerboards are rounded like the fingerboard of a double bass, whereas ibanez basses have a very flat finger board. thats what i meant when i said flat neck. sorry for the confusion. as for the back of the neck, i really dont have enough experience playing a variety of basses to know which i prefer... :(
  13. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    I am not affiliated with Yamaha. I have toured the company in Hamamatsu as I travel to Hamamatsu every year. I play an Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray bass. A 4 string at that. When I was searching here in Japan for a Bass guitar I played a lot of Yamaha basses. They are quite good instruments. Some of them exceptional.

I have not played a Spector bass and so have made no comment on them. They look nice from the pictures.

At both colleges that I worked for in the US, Brandeis University and The Berklee College of Music, we used Yamaha pianos. I also used to tune pianos as a side job. They are nice instruments. Very durable with a bright, jazzy sound. I have played Yamaha pianos for more than 10 years. I like their balanced action and bright tone.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, man. why so uptight?
  15. If those are your tweo options, I'd vote Spector - but which do you want a 5 or a 6?

Also, what about a John Myung Sig model Yammy if you like the RBX body shape?
  16. Defeldus.. If you want a 6 you could also wait till the next John Myung model comes out:. :D

I'm not well informed but I understand that a newer version of his signature model could come out, and it will have the same body design as the rbx 770 series, but different electronics / pickups, etc.
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wow, *somebody* forgot to check their attitude at the door...
  18. well first you have to decide on a 5 or 6, then decide on which bass after that

i have a five and personally would never get a 6, bass is about the low end!

and also make sure you play a bass before you buy it, thats common sense but just dont forget!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.