Spector 6-string vs. yammy 5-string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Aug 3, 2003.

which bass:

Poll closed Sep 2, 2003.
  1. THE YAMMY!!!

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. SPECTOR ALL THE WAY FOOL!!!

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Being in Japan, I'm sure you're way more familiar with this than I, but I've read about the Japanese "Keiretsu" (I hope I spelled that right). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yamaha most likely falls into that category.

I know Subaru, and many other Japanese car manufacturers, for example, fall into this category. Large "family" organizations operate as conglomerates and make products that are sold under one common name. In Japan, there's no automobile manufacturer named Subaru. The company that makes cars sold under the Subaru name is called Fuji Motors, and goes way back to the beginning of last century.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Should I...or shouldn't I???

I shall not.:spit:

3. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    well yeah, i would LOVE to get a jm sig, old or new. problem is, the old isnt being made anymore so nowhere is carrying it, and yamaha said the new one would be out by summer namm and guess what, no luck :(

4. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    oh yeah, heres a pic of the new one:

[​IMG]

notice the purdy inlay and big honkin music man style bassline pickup :D

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whats funny to me is these guys arguing over yamaha's name.

As if, if they DID make all their own stuff, they would be making it on the same assembly line as the dirt bikes.:rolleyes: .

Pah lease. thats ********. It might be their name, and factory, but don't you just think they would have a different set of people designing and making the basses then they do making the jetski's?

Even more of a reason that guy was so retar,,,,

misinformed......

6. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    yeah i just ignored that nonsense
    :rolleyes:

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You, my friend, (what the hell did I just say?) are a better man than me.

Well. in that one case. at least. I still bet I could bake a cookie that would knock your socks off. Really.

8. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    :confused:

9. Everyone obvioulsy likes taking hits out on me. I already said that it's up to you to choose the bass you really like, the one that sounds and feels great, the one that works for you. As to everyone else, you say these things because you're in a different state. I would still say these things to your face. I know pros use yamaha. Billy Sheehan, and Michael Anthony have their own custom Yamaha basses. Nathan East is the smooth jazz bassist of the year. He uses Yamaha. So?
    Would you take a Harley or a Yamaha motorcycle? Harley. Would you take a Spector or a Yamaha bass? Spector. I'm not neccessarily comparing the greatness of Harley Davidson motorcylces to Spector basses but hopefully you get the point this time. No, I havn't played any Yamaha basses. Could have at guitar center but I went for a real bass. But that doesn't matter know, does it? Check my attitude, check your's cheep pathetic one. Go ahead. Say it. Com on. You know you want to but still won't, even when not in my face.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

BI66ER, you are not going to make many friends with that attitude.

Spector makes some nice basses, especially the USA models. Those are world class and stand up to anything else on the market.

Yamaha has made some great basses in the past, and continues to, especially their top of the line, hand built stuff.

I would take a TRB6P over a Spector USA 6 string, because the string spacing and neck profile are better for my hands and preferences. The TRB6P is in the same class with USA Spectors, and when it was new, cost just about as much.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    -sigh-

i guarantee you wouldn't talk to me like that to my face, but that's beside the point. here, at talkbass, we respect each other, even when we disagree. if you don't like it, leave - try www.tabcrawler.com or www.guitar.com. if you don't begin treating your fellow members with respect, you will be forced to leave. consider this a friendly reminder. continue in disrespecting your fellow members and you may be banned from this site - it's clearly stated in the usage agreement you agreed to to post here, rule #1. i'd suggest you reread it.

12. Again, it is your preference. No?

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The Yamaha neck over the Spector neck is my preference, yes.

The quality of the top of the line Yamaha models is not my 'preference', it is fact. Ask anybody else who has played them or owned them.

14. John, Ok then. Things got heated and I don't like to be passive when people start making fun of my opinion so I just give it right back to them. They just teased me and gave me no respect and did not say what they really meant. Did they? I've already said that it is preference as to what bass you choose but I honestly don't really consider Yamaha basses to be real. Sorry if I ticked you off. Talkbass is a good bass discusion website and I plan to continue comming here. I won't use phrases like "cheep pathetic one" anymore. Is that what ticked you off? I'm pretty sure it is. I was just getting back at other people who I think did not even give me the proper respect and indeed called me stupid. The rest of it was well argued and filtered and I think I have made my point. It has gotten away from helping the person who made this post so no more discussion if it's not helping the poster. No more talking on this issue.

Maybe you should talk to polybass. They think I'm hilarious, and a dufus. Yeh, and I'm the one who's going to be kicked off? When I meant say what you mean, I didn't mean say things like 'well, he's just stupid and a dufus'. Actually discuss what you mean. I would like to talk more about what polybass is but I think you know what I would say about him and I what I think he is.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't...please 'splain.:confused:

16. Ram, now you're just acting stupid and you know it. Please don't try to make me any more mad than I am. If you're trying to be friendly ok but I don't think you are.

17. DEFELDUS, well, I've already given my opinion but I would like to add some. Spector is a usa company and Yamaha is Japanese. Polybass even says he likes spectors and still seems to argue over Yamaha.

Get the Spector. They're a 100% bass guitar company unlike Yamaha who is what, around 20% or so. Yamaha just has different groups of people in different factories designing different products that has Yamaha on it. They give off the vibe that they're not dedicated to making great stuff. But it already seems you like the Yamaha and are going to get it because of the way it looks. Looks can be missleading. If it sounds good, great! But the bottom line about any of the basses is the sound and feel of the bass and if you like it. But get a 4 or 6 string, not a 5. 5's are in the odd middle of both of them.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    fair enough. i appreciate you taking a moment here and simmering down - thanks :). polly was out of line calling you any names. i guess i have such low expectations from him that i tend to overlook his faux pas's. ;)

polly, you were outta line. no name calling, you know better. now kiss and make up, dammit, or i go get the paddle.

19. John, but was the phrase "cheap pathetic one" unacceptable? Thank you.

20. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL

because of statements like these:

...so hopefully that tells you they aren't crap

:rolleyes:

...theres nothing to say, everyone knows already what needs to be said

actually i like the way both look, which is why i decided on them in the first place, but as to playing them and all that thats why i asked for everyones opinions, because i have no way at all to play either without making a 4+ hour drive. there are NO music stores in my town, and the only one within 50 miles only has 3 or 4 fenders and 5 or so ibanez basses at a time :meh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.