Spector 6-string vs. yammy 5-string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Aug 3, 2003.

which bass:

Poll closed Sep 2, 2003.
  1. THE YAMMY!!!

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. SPECTOR ALL THE WAY FOOL!!!

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I agree with everyone else here B166ER, you should actual try the bass and see how it is before you go and judge it just because it is made by a company that makes more than just guitars. As for the choice, I'd go with the Yamaha even though I hear Spectors are damned nice basses (but I am only saying that because I've played a yamaha before).

2. I don't want to make this seem like i'm following the flow but would lik e to add something:

The USA Vs. Japan deal, means nothing specific about quality. And yamaha is a HUGE company.. they could even have more people working on basses than Spector does.. Who knows?

I don't think you could support that comment..:meh:

3. DEFELDUS, why must you belittle me? Just because some pros use some gear doesn't neccessarily mean anything. So they aren't crap? You even used quotes that weren't even related to your original question. It was just everyone ganging up on me because they could not understand a point. And besides the point. I also thought I made it clear that the bass you get is the one that feels good and sounds great. I have even been nice about that. But you would have to drive 4+ hours to make a major investement. The drive is worth the money you could save in getting the right bass. Eveyone is acting like I don't know a darn thing. What do you know? Have any of you ever played a Yamaha before? It wasn't even me who started this argument. It was Ram. And NewBassPlayer66, I've already said that I haven't tried one and never plan to. Did you read anything I wrote? Does no one understand the basic relationship between Spector and Yamaha? They are completely different basses. I guess you would say I have a biased against Yamaha but it is obvious why and no one has seemed to aknowledge that. You guys are just really being a holes now because you just cannot understand a point. Everyone says I have not respected them? No one has respected me.

No one refer me to any other threads or talk about my opinion or me any more because you can not handle an opinion appropriately. If you shut up, I will shut up. I am just answering back. Clear?

4. And in my opinion your biased views are stupid since you are refusing to ever try the bass.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    First of all, I did not start an argument. I simply asked why Yamaha doesn't make good basses. It's obvious that your biggoted little comments towards Japanese instruments aren't earning you any browny points around here. Nor are your comments calling me stupid.

Quite frankly, it's obvious to many people, not just me, that you don't know a damned thing about what you're talking about, and we're all calling you on it. I was just trying to take the high road and ask you what you meant before cramming my thoughts about your intentions down your throat, unlike the way you've handled my questions.

Furthermore, it's quite clear to me that you want the last word here, because you feel it's important for your own sanity to hear yourself last. If that's the case, then go ahead and respond to me. Otherwise, shut the hell up and go away.

Yamaha makes good basses. I can say this from experience, because I've played several of them. They're not my cup of tea, necessarily, but I've played a few that I liked more than my Spector.

Spector makes good basses. I own a US Spector and love it. But, my favorite bass is a foreign-made Jerzy Drozd. Know who else makes good basses? There's a Japanese guy who teamed up with Roger Sadowsky to make Sadowsky Tokyo. I've played one of those. Know what? A Japanese bass that can swim circles around almost anything American that you'll ever encounter!

And, I'll say this...if you think I'm done with you, you're sadly mistaken. If I want to talk about you in this or any other thread, or any series of PMs or private e-mails or in person with some of my TB friends, then I'll do just that.

I'll say it again: go away.

6. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    as am i:

no, everyone was just showing you how wrong your point was. it would have been ok if you had said "i dont like them" and left it at that, but you said "they are crap" and stuff like that, which made everyone "jump on you" to correct you. do not try to make opinions a fact.

yes, and i love them. as many others have said, yamahas stuff is very nice. their top of the line stuff is world class and up there with the customs. (try a trb-p series bass and try to tell me its crap... :rolleyes: )

which is very foolish of you. for all you know you might love them and play them the rest of your life. the name on the headstock should be the least of your concerns...

i acknowledged it and its fine to be biased towards something, but your reasons behind it are total b.s.

no, you cannot handle an opinion correctly. you are trying to make your opinion a fact.

please stop polluting my thread with your nonsense. thank you.

7. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    ...from a pm from bi66er to newbassplayer:

no i do not understand it at all. it makes absolutely no sense at all. period.

btw: biased is an adjective, not a verb. someone can be biased, but you cant have a biased. just a lil grammatical note for ya ;)

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IIRC, from an earlier post, you mentioned that when referring to "flat" necks, you were actually referring to the fingerboard. I know that US Spectors have flat fingerboards, around 16" or so. That's pretty "flat".

On the subject, I played a 4-string Q series Spector this past weekend for the first time. I was amazed at how evenly it played, how well it resonated, and how solid the workmanship was.

OTOH, Yamaha basses, those that I've played, were usually pretty well built, also. I personally haven't found them as playable as the Spectors. They seem a little more "stiff". YMMV.:D

BTW: I apologize to you if I got too out of hand with the side-bars...this really is YOUR thread.:D

Peace.

9. O god. I am tired of this belittling. And again, if you shut up I will shut up. Final. I never called Yamaha's crap, OK! You assumed that and put it in your post! And so you have tried Yamaha's before, then why have you put this post up? And I did start off by saying I don't like Yamaha's but it turned into a big fight. I guess I will have to clearly state on anything anymore "I don't like ______" because you people can not take it for some reason. Just let it be. That's the end of it. Get it? Good.

10. Maybe if you kindly asked us to drop the subject instead of TELLING us to do so, we might have a gram of respect for you ;)

11. I own that spector, same colour and all... it is a really punchy bass and does quite well at the tone game... I would get another one if that helps

12. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    as said by me in page one:

thanks for answering my question regarding the spectors though.

13. Listen to me and get the 5.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    *Ahem* That's, PollyBass. Two capitals, two "l"s.

Thanks.

And John, terribly sorry, won't happen again.

It's just so damn hard for me to keep my mouth shut when I see..

Ok, shutting up now.

15. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

Jun 1, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    :D

i know if i get the 5 ill end up getting a 6 eventually anyways, but i would still like to have a 5 since 6-ers arent always needed for every type of music

16. Ok then. I've already tried asking you to. It was you guys who first gave me no respect so I gave none back. For the others, this is no popularity constest. I don't care about any browney points Ram. Just go ahead and say what you want to know and then we'll see who get's kicked off, ok? I don't want to get kicked off, you don't want to get kicked off, no one wants to get get kicked off. It is up to the moderator to decide who was being defensive and who was provoking. The object of the internet allows us to say things without us having to be face to face, and talk behind peoples backs, and belittle, and take cheap shots, and be a major you know what. You people really like quotes so you should have a lot of fun with this one because that's all you seem to be able to do.

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    That Yammy is definitely one sexy bass, and I played a 5 string version of the Spector and wasn't impressed at all...:meh: But that's just me. Besides, the Yammy got a great review in "Bass Guitar" magazine (the one with Steve Harris on the cover, and with a story on John Myung:D)

Anyway, I'd get the Yammy... and that's all I can really tell you...:bassist:

18. That reminds me...did the_overlooked ever get banned for crying in like 10 different threads because he got a worthless post closed by a mod (no names, but for those who know, go mod :D)

And FYI B166ER, that little thing I just said has nothing to do with you and sorry DEFELDUS for goin off topic on ur thread there :\

19. Yeh, um, Polybass, thanks for teasing me even more. It's nice to have someone like you around. You're full of it.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    all right, all right. let's all calm down.

we don't need any more moderatorial input in this thread, i think i have that covered just fine, and anything that i might be missing i'm sure heavy duty will catch with his net.

translation : leave bi66er alone, please.

i really shouldn't have to say this - some of you guys seem a bit bored :). come on,

kumbayAAAAA my lord, kumbayAAAA!!

sing along, dammit, or i get my crossbow! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.