Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Action and Intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, Jul 24, 2004.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I just got a NS5CRFM and I talked to PJ at spector and he said that the stock strings are light gauge. Well I changed the strings to a medium gauge. (DR Low Riders)
    I noticed that when tuning the 12th fret was sharper then the open so I went off to set the intonation. I think I did a pretty good job at this as now the 12th fret registers the same as the open string(or pretty damn close) but now my problem comes with the action. I was getting a buzz I think it's because there were light gauge strings on and I replaced them with meduim gauge. So I raised the action. but now It seems uncomfortable to play. I have a cheaper korean spector(neck thru) and the action is perfect so I'm comparing it to the action on that bass and I'm not pleased. Before I changed the strings I took it to guitar center to see if it did need a set up he said the neck looked really good. Now that I changed the strings I really want the action low again but without the fret buzz on the lower registers. What should I do? Should I just bring it to a shop and let them set it up anyway? I just don't want to screw up the neck by messing with the intonation and action too much if that's possible. I'd really like the action to be the same as on my cheaper korean spector.

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey, it was brought up in the Yahoo Spectorbassclub recently that relief needed to be checked using the second fret and not the first. Something to do with the first fret being planed higher? Maybe ask PJ to shed some light on that one, I believe the tech's name was Jimmy? Let us know how it works out!

3. Check your relief, heavier gauge strings can cause more tension on the neck which can change the neck bow!

The following is from the old FAQ here at TB, maybe this will be helpful.

...author unknown (to me)

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    I'm thinking of just bringing it in to get setup. Let them adjust everything. I don't want to mess with the truss rod. I'm thinking that changing the strings did it. The action is just so much higher then on my korean spector and that shouldn't be since the Euro spectors are better basses

5. GraffixNyc, I'm with you on having a tech do the work........ especially if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.

If your tech will let you, watch what he does, once you learn you can save yourself lots of setup money . Plus, you really are the only person who can determine the perfect action for your playing style!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    I want it as low as possible without any buzz ;)

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Another problem with using heavier gauge strings is that they require greater vibrating area to achieve the same tone as their lighter gauge counterparts. An open "E" on a .095 or .100 will not vibrate as widely as the same open "E" on a .105 or .110.

To accommodate for this extra vibration space, you naturally need higher action with an otherwise equal right-hand technique.

8. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    I like the light gauge strings because as you said the action can be lower and I do think they are more playable but don't they have less low end then heavier gagues? I would think a open E on a .105 would sound deeper then an open E on a .095 no?

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I repied to your PM.

I don't know how much difference lighter gauge strings make. Some people are convinced there's a big difference, while others deny any noticeable change in low end. The best way to find out is to try it out for yourself.