Spector Action/Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 2099, Jul 3, 2004.

1. 2099

Jul 4, 2003
    I have a Czech Spector NS-5CR and recently I can't get the action to go where I want it to. I believe the neck may be beginning to bow as a result of leaving it in a case all of the time.
    Currently, the only way to set the action is extremely high and it leaves about 1 mm gap from the string to the first fret and a 1/4" gap between the string and frets 12-20 then begins to recede down again.
    My question is what should I do to fix this? I believe that it may need a truss rod adjustment, but I have never done it before. But I also can't stand the buzzing with low action. I like to play as low as possible and still be clean. Something tells me that if I don't do something quick then I may end up ruining this bass. Thank for you time.

On second thought, this may be perfectly acceptable. I was looking through other posts and found the attached picture, which is what my current setup looks like. But I still want the advice of someone who knows more than me about this. This is the first moderately expensive bass that I have owned.
  2. how is the relief on your neck?.

You can check it by fretting the first fret with your left hand and the last with your right hand at the same time. normally by doing this you should see a gap between the string and the 12th fret, it should be big enough to fit a credit card in it but no bigger than that. if the gap is bigger or if there is no gap at all you should adjust the rod.
  3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    When adjusting your truss rod, "righty tighty, lefty loosy". Don't forget it either. Loosen your strings first, before adjusting the truss rod too. Then if its bowed, slightly give it twist to tighten it. A little goes a long way. I usually try to get my action at the 24th fret under 3/32ds with the birdge adjustments. That is comfortable for me. From there I cantell if it needs an adjustment using the technique the guy above mentioned. But, if you like low low action like I do, you will, no matter what, have to deal with some slight buzzing. Experiment with it. But absolutely do not force it. You can screw up your bass! Careful Careful. Really, it is not hard, it just takes some experience doing it, but again, not too much on the twist!
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I own a Spector and had problems with the action until I took it to Lakland's shop to have it set up. They had to remove the frets and plane the fingerboard to get it set up properly. Now it's in the best shape of its 9-year life!

Anyway, to determine if this might be what you need, flatten the neck with the truss rod as much as you can comfortably play without buzzing in the lower registers. Fret each fret on each string to determine where the buzzing occurs.

If the buzzing occurs in the lowest registers (e.g.: those closest to the nut), you'll need to increase the neck relief. If the buzzing only occurs in the highest registers, you have to raise the bridge saddles to raise the action a bit.

If the bass is still not comfortable, you should contact a luthier who may need to perform neck surgery.

Another way I've found to determine if the neck has a good amount of relief is to fret the bass at the first fret and the 14th fret. You should notice the strings are about the width of a business card above the 12th fret. If you insert a business card in between the strings and fretboard at the 12th fret, the business card should easily slide in but not fall out when you remove your hand.