Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector active circuit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, May 17, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm an happy owner of a five string spector bass. the model is a SSD ns5cr. i know that the preamp in the bass is made by emg rated at 9 volt and different from the one installed on the american made spector basses that is powered by 18 volt. i'd like to know the effective difference between these two preamps in matters of sound and if eventually it's possible to change mine with a 18 volt. as usual thanks in advance.
    marco

2. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    It is possible to run your preamp at 18 volts. In fact all EMG active pickups (not select, or HZ) can be run at up to 27 volts. There's definately a difference between 9 and 18 volts, more headroom and snap to the tone. I've heard that there's not much difference between 18 and 27. Who wants to try and fit 3 batterites in a control cavity anyway? I keep meaning to do this to my NS5CRFM, but just haven't gotten around to it.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, there is not much difference in the Spector pre-amp & the EMG pre amp. I have 2 spector 5's, a USA w/Spector p/a & a Chech w/18 volt EMG BTC (stock p/a). The USA has alittle more bass, is warmer. The Check tends to have a little more trebble. For the most part, if you were blind folded, you probably couldn't tell which was which. They both sound phenomonal!!!!!

As soon as I got my chech, I plopped another 9V battery in it, so I can't compare the 9V to the 18V. Sorry. :(