Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector and Smith...help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Apr 15, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm searching the specs on a Spector NS-JH5 bolt on. What kind of spacing does it have?

I was also looking at a Ken Smith BSR-B 6 string but I'm wary of the tight spacing.

Any help?

2. The Spector 5's and 6's have .66" spacing, according to the specs that used to be up on the Spector site. The American-made Ken Smiths have slightly wider spacing (18mm, I think, or about .70"). The BSR-B's look smaller to me, but I haven't played one and don't know the specs.

Mike

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I caution you regarding the Spector specs, because I have an older Spector and recently found out the newer ones have thinner neck profiles and wider string spacing.

My recommendation: contact Stuart Spector if you want him to tell you what the string spacing is.

Since Ken Smith is a member of Talkbass, maybe he'll be kind enough to give you the measurements of his basses.

4. That's useful information to know, since one thing I never really cared for on the older Spector 5's was the narrow spacing.

Mike

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't help you with the Spector specs, but I just bought a Smith BSR series 6 string, and the spacing is interesting - the spacing at the nut is very tight, but the spacing at the bridge is much wider, so the neck gets wider as it comes into the body. The bottom line for me is that I had an adjustment to make for my left hand, but not so much for my right. FWIW.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Isn't it cool having the builders on this site?;)