Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector bass electronics wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Magneto, Apr 4, 2005.

1. I borrowed my guitar player's used Spector bass to do some setup work on it. When I plugged it in, I noticed something weird with the volume/tone controls.
    First, it appears to be something along the performance series bass line, 4-string.
    Has 2 EMG-SSD passive soapbars, 2 volume, 2 tone (or I think it should be?)..haha.
    Here's what's weird. Each volume and tone seems to work properly as long as the other pickup's volume is turned completely off. When I try to bring up the other pup's volume, there are spots where the sound completely dies off. This works both ways with both volumes. I actually had to get online to find out just what the controls did, because I could not figure it out.

So I opened the electronics cover, and the first thing that caught my eye were two of the pup wires (red-to-red/white-to-white), connected together with the other pup's wiring, with electrical tape wrapped sloppily around them. I didn't think this could be factory work, so I removed the electrical tape and found very shabby solder joints, one of which was a cold solder joint. It appears to me that someone rewired this thing, and didn't do a very good job of it.
    In the attached photo, the red pointers show the connected wiring. I can draw a complete diagram if needed. I know SOMETHING is wrong with the electronics, and all 4 of the pots are working ok. Only when they are used together does the problems start.

I'm hoping someone can advise me on this, or if a schematic/wiring diagram is known of, it would be a great help...

Mag...

Problem solved. Bass was miswired. Spector tech helped me sort it out..

2. can you give me the wiring details? (mine are red with white on both..)

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Usually, if it's 4-knobs, it's not a totally passive setup. I'm guessing somebody converted it to passive and didn't understand what they were wiring.

The Spector basses, from what I can tell, come with a 2-band preamp - the Spector TonePump Jr. It's generally regarded as non-versatile and is swapped out for a better preamp.

I suspect re-doing the wiring will be the best bet unless you want to buy a preamp for it.

4. marnold

marnold

Apr 29, 2007
    Actually, the low-end Spector Performers are all passive.

Surfib, I posted how mine is wired in response to your request on The Fret.