1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Bass Model Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fat240, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Fat240

Fat240

Feb 19, 2010
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have a frind that has a Spector P\J EMG bass. I believe it is a late 80's model. I was thinking of buying it from him and he wants 450.00 for it. Red in great shape. The serial number is ns 8168, Korean model I believe. Can anyone tell me about this bass and if it is worth the cash? Thanks

2. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    There's a wealth of knowledge in the Spector Bass club, and folks can answer you very quickly.

3. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp

Jul 15, 2012
    Laurel,DE.
    I know this bass well. Ebay right? It is a good buy. They are great basses. I have a sunburst one I have had since the 80's that has a tonepump setup in it for 550.00 which makes it like the new euro models. The red one is a good buy.

4. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    it is a Spector NS2A, made in Korea late 80's ......450 is the price for one that is clean and like new....500 is where they top out....any dings etc and you can talk it down a little...also if it has the OG case, that would help value also...

5. Fat240

Fat240

Feb 19, 2010
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yeah you got me on the ebay, lol. I have a Thumb BO 4, a 2006 ESP F-404, 2012 ESP DK-5, and a Rebop 5. The DC are nice, but I'm a hard hitter and they can be a bit tingy. I wanted to pick up a Spector 4 to compare to the Warwick and did not know if this was worth the invesment. I wanted a P\J setup also. I'm really dig'n Rex's tone on the new Kill Devil Hill album. The white Spector is awesome!!

6. Fat240

Fat240

Feb 19, 2010
    Lynchburg, VA
    Oh well took the Buy it now off. Guess someone else can have it.

7. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Woodward, Oklahoma
    if you want rex's tone, you'll probably have to get at least a euro. but with the ns2a, you could fairly close if it comes with the original pre. but it looks like youre not looking at it anymore. spectors are killer basses. the higher you move up, the better they sound. just think alice in chains facelift, dirt, and sap. or queensryche operation mindcrime. or pantera far beyond driven and after. that's ultimate spector tone. good luck and sorry for ranting on :)

8. Fat240

Fat240

Feb 19, 2010
    Lynchburg, VA
    The bid is 400 and I would like to not have to take a loss if I don't care for it. Red also is not my favorite color. I'd rather fork out a grand or more for something I would be really happy with. I just read the other day he's using the Euro NS2 and he is having trouble finding a backup for it. I think this is his best tone yet. I am not obsessed with replicating his tone, just looking for something meatier than my ESP's and easier to play than my Warwick.

9. sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Woodward, Oklahoma
    well if you look under the classifieds here sometimes you can find a euro for around that. there was one yesterday that went for $700. that's a steal. so just hang on to your cash and find one here on the classifieds. plus most of the people selling them are from the spector club and they are a great bunch of guys. or you could always look used at guitar center. they have some that are close to 1k. plus if you dont like it, you can always return it in the 30 day? guarantee.

10. Fat240

Fat240

Feb 19, 2010
    Lynchburg, VA
    Yep, I'm just gonna see what comes up. Got plenty of bass to keep me busy. Thanks for the help.

11. sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Woodward, Oklahoma
    sure thing.