1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(Spector Bass) Neck-Pickup has no Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by renozeros, Dec 28, 2017.

1. renozeros

renozeros

Dec 28, 2017
    Hey,

Im being offered a Spector Rebop 5 Dlx. I happen to really like the overall look and feeling of the bass. It is used and about 10 years old. If i turn down the Bridge-PU, so that i only hear the Neck-PU it sound as if something is wrong. It just has no Bass at all and sounds as if the spectrum starts from 1k hz. I of course tried to change the battery, but it has no affect at all.

You guys have any clue what the problem might be with that?

Thanks from Munich, Germany,

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Maybe the knob is reverse from what you think it is and you're actually "turning off" the neck pickup and going to only the bridge pickup.

I despise the all-mid bark of most bridge pickups solo and I imagine that's what you're hearing. It woiuld be an unusual electronic situatiin that would allow for the neck pickup to still work but have no bass. It's not impossible..... but unusual.

I'm not a Spector expert but I'm guessing that it is not a volume/volume/tone/tone setup..... rather a volume/fader/bass/treble.

If I am correct, then when you think you are turning up the volume on the bridge pickup you are actually fading from both pickups to only the bridge pickup.... thus removing much of the low frequencies from your tone.

3. renozeros

renozeros

Dec 28, 2017
    Thanks alot for your response. Actually thats what i guessed at first. But unfortunately its not how spector basses are wired. I attached a diagram to show. Despite that, its not, that it changes from a Neck-PU sound to a Bridge-PU characteristic but it cut the entire bass band.
    upload_2017-12-28_15-55-40.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah that's odd.

Maybe @line6man has some thoughts based on the diagram?

5. Are the pots of the right value?

6. renozeros

renozeros

Dec 28, 2017
    i tried that. yes they are.
    thanks for your effort guys!

7. renozeros

renozeros

Dec 28, 2017
    any other guesses?

8. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Is the neck pickup a humbucker? Not impossible that the coils of a humbucker are wired out of phase with each other

9. renozeros

renozeros

Dec 28, 2017
    both are humbucker. how to figure out if its out of phase?

10. Swap the leads around for one coil.