1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Bass Question - what is this thing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BritFunk, Jan 19, 2013.

1. BritFunk

BritFunk

Jan 8, 2009
    Folks,

My guitar player brought a Spector bass over to the house tonight from a local pawn shop - he knows the owner and borrowed the bass for me to try out.

Trouble is, I can't figure out what model this thing is.

It is a flamed maple top, sort of a dark cherry red color, EMG-SSD pickups, passive electronics (2 volume 2 tone), 5-string, black hardware, 35" scale, dot position inlays, rosewood fretboard, and I swear the neck looks to be some type of composite material. Serial number is S05082020.

I am at a loss - I haven't been able to find anything on Spector basses with a composite neck, but I'll tell you - the neck in no way feels like wood. The tone is clear and bright, with nary a dead spot.

Anyone have any thoughts on this thing? Can you tell me what model it might be and what kind of price is fair? My price on it is what I would expect to pay for a cheap pawn shop bass, so chances are I will be buying it regardless, but I am curious as to exactly *what* I am buying. It looks like pretty much any other Spector bass, but the neck is throwing me a curve ball...

Thanks so much!

(BTW - yes the truss rod cover is off in the pics but has the Spector name/logo- I am still adjusting it - the setup was atrocious - borderline unplayable).

----
    Kurt

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      35.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
  2. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    PICS???

3. BritFunk

BritFunk

Jan 8, 2009
    Pics...again, yes the truss rod cover is off...

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  4. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    NS2005?

5. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    If the price is cheap I'd venture to guess a legend cls. I grabbed one for a couple hundred a few years back, very nice for the price

6. Looks a bit like a Performer. Is it a bolt-on neck?

7. BritFunk

BritFunk

Jan 8, 2009
    Bolt-on neck - 5 bolts...

----
    Kurt

8. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

Performer 5 Deluxe

9. If the body is pretty flat and not curved on the back, I'd agree its a Performer Deluxe. You can find them for really pretty cheap. $150-$250 or even less if you look around.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021