1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Bass serialnr #184

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoel, Mar 7, 2008.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hi! I just bought a Spector bass serialnr $184. As I understand it, they started the serialnumbers on 100, so this should be number #84. It's a great instrument!

What do you guys think its worth?

Thanks!

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    :)

I think you probably bought a Stuart Spector bass.

Phil Spector is a record producer, very famous for his work in the 60's, and currently on trial for murder.

He also sometimes aspires to creative heights in hairstyle.......

[​IMG]

3. Pictures?

lowsound

4. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Don't have any yet... sorry. But in general, what would these go for?

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't know, I didn't even know Phil Spector made basses! :p

6. Is it a Stewart Spector Design or is it a Spector?

The SSD basses were built before Stuart got his name and original logo back from the Kramer fiasco.

I'm only asking because I own an SSD. It's an NS-5, serial #136.

7. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I'm gonna say what probably a lot of people are thinking, and ask, does it really matter what its worth?

What is it worth to you?

8. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I just wanna know if I made a good deal or not.

9. FretlessArt

FretlessArt

Jan 24, 2007
    Connecticut
    eddieg is correct that value is subjective like Artwork.

If somebody were motivated to aquire a collectors item, certainly the Original models from luthiers like Spector, Kubicki and Tobias that pre-date mass production would be the ones to look for. Often these early models have early design elements or quirks that give them a tremendous amount of personality. To me that holds a precieved value like a piece of original artwork vs a print. The bottom line is enjoy it for what it is, an original. Ask the value question when you pass it on to your children.

I have 2 early Kubicki EX-Factors. The earliest one #411seems to be much hotter and slightly clearer in its output than the later one #643, which I purchased from a famous bass player.

To me these facts makes these earlier basses more interesting and a collector might also precieve value in that. Hopefully my children will just be excited about getting something cool from their dad someday.

10. FretlessArt

FretlessArt

Jan 24, 2007
    Connecticut
    This guy is a FREAK! How do I get an endorsment from Auqanet?

11. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    DSCN2036.

12. ahh.. an early Phil Spector. it's worth much more since Chris Rock used one on Load.

13. .. or is it Load. Whatever.

still, a pretty bass!

14. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Any idea what it could be worth and its reputation?

It's a great instrument, plays by itself :)

15. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    Speaking of freaks - Arlen:

spector190.

16. LzeroKI

LzeroKI

Dec 24, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Wasn't it Bob Rock?

Or am I not getting the running name-confusion gag?

17. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    that looks like an late 70's early 80's on if all of the electronics are orignal its worth mor: but it looks like replacement pickups !
    how is the neck ? alot of the ones I have seen have a slight curve

18. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    no curve on the neck, it looks straight. I'm generally impressed about the dynamics and accuracy (if that is a word) of this instrument.

I play mainly pre-cbs fender jazz and precision basses but I wanted a bass with this kind of flavour/tone and I found this today and thought very much of it.

what do you think its worth tho? I know I've asked a couple of times, and I'm not asking about it because I want to sell it, I just wanna know if I made a fair deal or not.

19. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I love Spectors but I get the feeling early models are not valued very high. In general handmade instruments from an active luthier dont appreciate unless they have some sort of historical connection or celebrity owner.

Once the Luthier stops building then the story changes (consider Wal)

20. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    well ns-1 (about the era of yours blue book around 900- 1300 us dollars) but there not as sought after as say fenders but you are missing the truss cover and looks like replacement pickups who knows about pre and etc .. so that will de value it

it also looks from the photo it is missing the spacers buy the pickups they were a black plastic the most common pickups were dizmarzo and they would be cream or white

in the same hand spectors rock and during this time vinnie fedora worked as an employee of spector so it probably has some cool history

BTW I used to own sn# 55