1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

spector bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Taps07, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Taps07

Taps07

Sep 16, 2008
    I am getting a new spector bass euro lx 4str and im looking to upgrade the pick ups, p-j style, to barts anyone have any suggestion because I am a fish out of water at the moment ive never tried barts but i hear nothing but good things...as far as I see it if they can make a ibanez sound ok then they have to make a spector sing...id really appreciate it if someone could give me some insight on what barts to choose from.

Thanks, taps07:bassist:

2. This isnt what you wanna hear but grab a pedulla. They were made for barts. Spector I just think deserves EMG's. If they are the same size then u need new pots as well since your going from active pups to passive barts. Research your preamps to. Aguilar/bart might rock your face.

3. do what I did. Ditch the tone pump preamp thats is stock in the Spector, and grab a EMG BQC preamp. You will be like Barto...who?

4. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    I can't really imagine a spector bass with barts since I have this formula "spector tone = emg tone"

I think it will be worth to try, why not, barts are really nice pickups. With EMG BQC,I personally felt like like it's an upgrade of the original "spector tone" while some other people believe that BQC just changes the tone but upgrades.

5. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Play the bass for a bit before you decide to do anything with the pups (assuming you haven't already spent a lot of time with one). The sound, especially with the PJ Spectors, is more versatile than a lot of people would have you believe.

If you still don't like the EMGs, Barts are definitely a good choice but they'll probably smooth out or "darken" some of the character that makes a Spector sound like a Spector.

Personally I don't like EMGs very much, so I think it would be an interesting swap.

6. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Kind of pointless to buy a Spector then change the pickups. A Spector with Barts is a different bass. Just get something else. The Pedulla suggestion is a good one.

7. Taps07

Taps07

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks for the replies guys im not big on emg's but ill try out the EMG BQC preamp

8. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I think Tim Cole(not sure) had barts on his Spector and went back to Emg's....you might want to ask him.

9. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Ok, what's the deal with the EMG BQC preamp?
    How is it different from the Tone Pump?

10. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Tone pump= V,V, bass and treble boost only

Emg BQC= V,B,stacked treble and bass and stacked mid pot(gain/frequency)

pretty much the Emg system is more versatile for your tone equalization

11. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    A Spector with barts???

I don't think that's an upgrade, it will melow the tone a lot.