Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jerryoram, Feb 7, 2001.

1. jerryoram

jerryoram

Feb 7, 2001
    Convinced to buy a Fender Jazz great variation in sounds.Acouple questions about Spector do they have a jazz bass and like Fender are they also made outside theUS

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes, Spectors are made in the USA, Czech Republic, & Korea. The bast are USA & so forth.

Yes they do make a bass w/2 J pick-up's. It is called the NS-2J. It is made in the USA & it is a bolt on. List prices start @ $1900 & sell for about $1200 @ any local dealer. For more info <a href="http://www.ssdbass.com/NewFiles/usbolt.html"><b>CLICK HERE.</b></a> This will bring you right to this bass on the Spector site.

3. I own Spector basses made in the Czech Republic and USA and I can say from experience that the only qualities that the USA made Spectors have over the Czech's are looks (more figuring in the maple).

4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I have to disagree, I've owned a couple of Czech. They're incredible. I think the American sounds much better. My main Spector has EMG DC pick-ups w/ the 18 volt Spector/Haz-Lab E.Q. & I liked it better than the EMG P/J w/9 volt EMG E.Q., not to say that the Czech is bad. But Jerry is looking for a bass w/2 J pick-up & the USA NS-2J has that. Also the NS-2J is just a little bit more than @ Czech NS-2CR.

Check em out on my band <a href="http://www.theoremnyc.cjb.net"><b>THEOREM's</B></A> webpage.

5. My USA Spector NS-2 came with the EMG P/J configuration and 9 volt preamp. You have the NS-4 (EMG DCs and 18 volt). I went for the NS-2 instead of the NS-4 because I already have the DC humbuckers on my Czech 5's and I wanted a different sound and the 18 volt circuit isn't an option with P/J's. I recently purchased a Euro NS-2. Both the US and Czechs have the 9 volt electronics and they are neck in neck alike in this case. I'm sure the 18 volt circuit sounds different and that is the greatest differece, not the quality of the instrument.

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    We do agree that Spectors are incredible basses. I wish I had more $$$ so I can buy more. Do you have any pics of your's? Here is a pic of me from my band's website. These are <a href="http://community-2.webtv.net/rinav/NinoBass/scrapbookFiles/mailedD14.jpg">"My 3 Sons"</a> from left to right-Amber '87 NS-2, middle-Natural '96 NS-5, right-trans white '99 NS-4.

I was thinking of buying a new one & it is between a Czech & an American NS-2J. They pretty much cost the same, NS-J is alittle more, but I want something alittle different, i.e. bolt-on, 2 J p/u's, Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. But I have no cash!!! :( :(

7. I agree to both statements. There are some pics of my Euro 5's on my band's site http://www.mrdead.com. I really don't play the 4's much and in fact, I'm selling my US Spector because I need some cash and the Euro 4 keeps me happy. The previous owner of the US Spector bleached and re-finished it green. Looks nice but devalued it. I wanted the 18 volt preamp when I bought this but as I said, not availble with P/J's so I stopped looking, oh well. I'll get some more pics available when time permits. Also, the preamps in the Euro Spectors had the cheap, flimsy circuit board in the '97 and older models. They've added the much improved preamp in the '98 and newer models. BTW, I really like your NS-5, I wouldn't sell that one if I owned it, I'm envious!

[Edited by Mr. Dead on 02-10-2001 at 09:15 AM]

8. Just so you know. If you want it with Jazz Pickups, you have to take a look at the US Bolt-on. It's their jazz model.

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    <center>I think I said that already. :)</center>

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    The best spector bass made is the warwick!hehe sorry just a joke!I tried a few of them at are local bass shop!They are great basses but for the price id rather buy a used warwick!Just better quality by far!

11. That's a matter of opinion, and I fully disagree...

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I disagree with that too.

IME, the Czech Spectors quality is on par with Warwicks, and the US Spectors blow the Warwicks out of the water!

Go with the original, get a Spector.

13. The Warwick Streamer Series I neck through lists for $1000 more than the Czech Spector and doesn't even have a carved back. Personally, I'm not fond of the MEC pickups/electronics either.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? :)Warwick's are pretty nice, but like Mr. Dead said, I dont like their P/U's or electronics. Also, most of the ones I've tried had VERY bulky, fat necks, which was very uncomfortable to play. Why buy a Spector copy, when you can get a real one?

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for reminding me, Nino and Mr Dead.

The higher end Warwicks are beatiful basses, nice furniture grade wood with oil finish, but those MEC electronics are not of the same quailty as the bass iteself, IMHO.

I know that they contribute to the characterisitc Warwick sound, but I would rather have Barts, Lane Poors, or if you are looking for a very aggressive sound, EMGs. JMHO.

Nino, regarding the neck profile, the Streamer Stage I 5 and 6 are identical to my feel as the Spector 5 and 6. Of course, the Spectors do have those dead quiet EMG pickups.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ooooohhh...I've been observing this thread for quite some time and was just WAITING for the moment to jump in...so, in the spirit of the never-ending battle between the best and the rest, I must say this...

Ah...to be naive again! My friend, Warwick doesn't make a bass better than a Spector! Learn it, live it, love it! And, trust me...when you develop just a touch of experience with bass guitars, you'll see that while Spector has been making more inexpensive lines in the past few years, Warwick has just been cheapening their already second-rate copies!:D

Maybe a little harsh, but Spector's a better bass. You can't prove otherwise.:cool:

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A nice Spector ranks right at the top of the heap as far as playability and sound, right up there with Fodera, original Tobias and others. I've yet to play a Warwick that felt like it belonged in that echelon. Just an opinion.

18. Ah...to be naive again! My friend, Warwick doesn't make a bass better than a Spector! Learn it, live it, love it! And, trust me...[/B][/QUOTE]
    It's about time you joined in RAM!!!

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's about time you joined in RAM!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Mr. Dead, Sorry I was out of this one for so long! I was out of town for 3 days, and before I left, it sounded like a question that I wasn't quite able to answer...I've never played the bolt-on USA with J pickups. I was hurtin', though, let me tell ya'!;)

For everybody else: I'm not going to say that Warwick isn't a great bass, but I will say this: I used to "jones" for a Warwick Thumb Bass. I'd walk into my local boutique shop (the only one that carried them back then in Chicago) and play them for hours, trying to figure out how I was going to raise that kind of money! In fact, I thought it actually MADE me a better player!

But, when I actually did have the money, I went back to that same store in suburban Chicago and was disappointed to find out that they only carried Spectors and gave up on Warwicks. After all, I had never heard of Spector basses and Warwick was, what seemed to me, to be the cream of the crop!

However, I picked up, very reluctantly so, the Spector on the wall...a cherry red stained NS-4. OH MY GOD!!! This was what basses should sound like? This bass had life and character and comfort to boot! I fell in love, and didn't even want to put it down long enough to take out my wallet!!!

I continued searching for Warwick basses to compare and see if I made a bad decision. Afterall, Warwicks had been my favorite for years! Well, several years later, Warwicks started showing up in Guitar Center in droves...I mean dozens of them lining the walls! I was in heaven! So, I picked one up and was so let down that I almost cried:(! So, I picked up another one, and another, and another, and another, and I picked up Streamers and Corvettes and Thumb Basses and whatever they had in a 4 string...They all felt okay, they all had a nice sound. But, NONE of them reminded me of why I originally fell in love with Warwick. So, I went home incredibly disappointed and picked up my Spector. What a mood lifter! I was back in heaven!!!

The point is that, IMO, Warwicks don't hold a candle to Spectors!

20. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I gues its just taste!I have been playing funk bass for about 16 years now for the person that said i wasnt a bass player long enough!I mainly play funk bass and the reason why i love the warwicks so much is that i can set the strings so low!And the never touch the fretts!Well i was looking for a 5-string not to long ago and found a spector bass usa model and it had a great sound to it and it was kinda nice looking?Iy was painted i hate bassess with paint on them!But when i tried to do a nice little funk thing on the spector it just felt very stiff!I hate a stiff ass bass!Then i opened up the back and had a look and yuk man!Looked like it was put together by a drunk!I tried to lower the neck like i can on the warwick and zzzzzzzz as soon as i tried!raddeled all up the neck!I wasnt tring to start a argument just having fun!The fact is that all of you that like warwicks or spectors you should jump into the the really awsome bass called clover!