Spector Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SHM BASS BOY, Jul 26, 2000.

Apr 8, 2000
    I know there are a lot of you guys out there who play spectors and I am thinking of getting one for my next bass. First I would like to know what every one likes so much about them. Please tell me whatever you will. What kind of strings you use,what kind of amp you have, ...etc.
  2. Which model have you decided on?
  3. Hate to do this but, do a search for spector and you'll see alot of input from all the Spector owners here, there has been a thread going with the exact same title as yours over the last couple of monthes...
  4. SpectorBag

Jul 12, 2000
    If you are looking into getting an NS-2 ( which I highly reccomend, simply because of the p/j pickup configuration). The curvature of teh carved maple body is incredible feeling, it is really comfortable to play sitting down. Although, playing a spector live gets really unfomfortable, because the neck isnt carved in that far, so its uncomfortable to play the lowest 3 frets for a while,plus its damn heavy. On another up side, the Electronics and finishing job are the best in the business. I recommend getting EMG pickups, but adding an Aguilar onboard preamp later, ( or if at all possible, get one installed to begin with)
  5. Thumbslinger

May 26, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SHM BASS BOY:
    I know there are a lot of you guys out there who play spectors and I am thinking of getting one for my next bass. First I would like to know what every one likes so much about them. Please tell me whatever you will. What kind of strings you use,what kind of amp you have, ...etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the thing I like most about Spector is their versatility. They sound and play great and the workmanship(at least on the higher end models)is very good.

I would recommend saving your money and going with a euro series. I don't think the quality is as good on the cheaper series.

If you have the money, I would say go for the American series.

As for amplification I have a Hartke 3500 head with a Hartke four 10 cab. not my dream rig, but not bad.

Strings I think DR makes the best string on the market by far. I don't think anyone else is even close (I use DR high beams 40-100)
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have the NS-4 - American series. Transparent red finish. Gold hardware. 18-volt EMG pickups with the Spector preamp.

The things I like most, in no particular order, are:

1. Playability...this thing is just fun to play and I find that I not only can lose track of time while playing it, I can play things on it that I have difficulty playing on some other basses out there.

2. Workmanship...just extremely well made, and has Stuart's autograph on the back of the headstock, giving the impression that he wouldn't even let it out the door without his perfectionist's approval!

3. Tones...and tones, and tones, and tones...with the 18 volt EMGs, I get a really cool modern sound when the two pickups are blended together. When I sweep towards the neck pickup, I get a fantastically warm sound, reminiscent of a good "P" bass! When swept backwards towards the bridge pickup, the tone gets super "woody" which often reminds me of a "Jazz" type sound.

There are not just 3 tones on this bass...the subtleties are truly limitless! I can honestly say that it gets just about any tone I want. Furthermore, this thing is aspunchy as it gets!

The carved back is nice and comfortable, too. And, despite it's really heavy weight, it's surprisingly easy to hold for long periods of time because it's so well balanced. Bass Player even agreed in it's review a few years ago!

Although I'm pretty much only a 4-string player, I remember reading the review Bass Player said about the "5"...saying it had one of the best sounding "B" strings they'd ever heard, which was even more astounding considering that Spectors only had 34" scales back then! I think the 5 and 6 string models now come with a 35" scale.

The amp I play through is a GK practice amp for fun and an EBS Fafner with accompanying EBS 4x10 rig. My bass coupled with the EBS just rocks. Period. I don't know if it could possibly sound better...I even tried it out with Kern, SWR, used to play through a Trace, Fender amps, EA amps and cabs, and I think maybe an Eden amp or two...

If you can afford it, get the American Series. Just a truly fantastic bass!
  7. BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    If a 35" scale is so much better for a five-string than a 34", then why don't all the other companies switch too? What's up?

4 U

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Because 35" alone is not the answer. It's the complete bass that makes the difference.
  9. To answer the original question, the CR and US made Spectors are the 2 models that are made of the quality components that Stuart Spector is known for. The CR basses are basically a stream lined version of the US line and therefoe are more affordable. You can't go wrong with either. If both are too expensive, you are better off going with the Dean Edge improv basses. They are neck through with a quilted maple top, brass bridge, active EMG pickups (not "HZ"), EMG BT electonics and gold schaller hardware. They only list for $100 more than the Spector 2000 neck through models but are superior sounding. The only thing it lacks compared to the Spector is the curved body, but they are lighter weight. Here are the list prices for the following:

Dean Edge Improv:
    $1100 4 string
    $1200 5 String

Spector CR series
    $1800 4 String
    $2000 5 String

Spector US Series (without the options)
    $3900 4 String
    $4100 5 String

The sale price should be 68-70% of list including tax
  11. Riz,
    What I was regarding whan I stated that the CR and USA Spectors have the "quality components Spector is known for" is if you compare the feel, tonality and components of a CR bass and a US model with 9 volt electronic, they are dead even (I have both). Some US models carry the same brass bridge with the dull finish as the CR models, especially the 5 strings. It's been within the last 2 that he placed the original Spector bridges on his US basses (mostly 4 strings). Remember, he used to only make US models and the CR models (which were desinged before the Korean models were made, not counting the Kramer Era) are a streamed line version made in a country where they have centuries of luithery experience but the labor is cheaper. That was Stu's intention when he intoduced the CR models. I'm not saying that the 2000 suck, but what I'm saying is that you are not buying a bass that can stand up to the US model dead on for the fraction of the cost. There is a noticeable difference. The 2000 models have a die cast bridge,
    passive (HZ) EMG's, "designed by EMG" electronics and standard grade maple wood. These basses are decent for the money. If you're happy with you're bass then cool because that is all that matters.
  12. Mr. Dead -
    10-4 on you above post. H'ver I think it would be obvious to anyone who was out to check into Spector basses that with the dramatically different pricing b'tween the USA, CZ and then the 2000 line, that you're not going to get the same "top of the line" details in the sound and tone with the production run intruments vs. the semi-custom top end models. You can't ever expect an NS2000 series bass to go head to head with a USA series, ever. H'ver I will repeat that I personally don't see the "$700.00 difference" in sound or tone b'tween the CZ and the 2000 series, sure it's a better bass, probably sounds a little better too... but is it $700.00 better sounding? Of course that is a very subjective question, but that is something that the potential buyer must consider.

But lets get back to the point of this post. The original poster was/is considering getting a Spector bass. I checked into his profile and with no disrespect intended, noted that he was "15" yrs old, which is totally cool, so I suggested he do a search (see my post above) But then I saw that the majority of the replys were suggesting he look into the USA or if he can't afford it the CZ line.

Did anyone check into the poster's profile and note that he was 15? Sure it is possible but what are the odds of anyone who's too young to drive, let alone work full time(assuming he is still in school) being able to afford a $4000.00 or even a $1500.00 bass?But then again $780.00+ for the top of the line contoured body neck-thru version of the NS2000 series(like mine) is not that cheap either....

Sure it's possible that his parents are going to help him out $$$ wise, but my money says that if their kid 'has' to have a Spector bass, and they are going to pay for part of it, they are not going to go for the top end model when their 15 yr old is probably still learning the instrument.

But that's what the bulk of replys were saying... 'go for the USA or CZ series'...
    not much help if one thinks about it.

A better way for this to have gone down would have been for everyone to first look at his profile and think:
    "hmmm.. 15 yrs old,, wants a Spector bass,,..hmmm.."
    And the jist of the replys using common sense should have started out saying something like :

"Well if you want a Spector bass then check out the entry level basses, the NS2000 series, which are pretty cool. If they aren't your cup of tea and you can afford a better sound and quality, try out the Spector CZ line-you just might like those if you can afford it, and if you have the money available(alot!)-search out a Spector USA series bass they are the ULTIMATE!" Good Luck!!

But no one seemed to take a slant like that.
    And as I said in my last post, when it came to suggesting the entry level line, the NS2000 series, you took an altogether different tack and and rather than sticking to the brand that the poster of this thread was interested in , Spector, you brought up Dean basses.

I think that a 15 yr old who wants a Spector bass would do just great with a NS2000 series. But then again, maybe he has a ton of $$$ for a bass, has been playing for several years, is very acomplished musically and nothing less than a USA series would suffice. Or in a pinch, If he absolutely had to make do, a CZ series Spector. [​IMG]

BTW, I have to say that I just saw for the first time within the NS2000 line one of the "quilted top" models, I was a bit surprised, but I shouldn't have been: a non contoured, flat slab sided body and the bass itself was as light as a feather, possibly made out of basswood? But that "quilted veneer" top looked good! [​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. RIZ,
    Believe me, theres a BIG difference between the 2000 model and the Czech Model Spector. Some stores such as Sam Ash neglect the basses their such as leaving dead strings on the basses, low or dead batteries, poor set up jobs and that will hinder the quality of a bass. If you go to a full line Spector dealer that keeps their basses behind the counter and keeps up on maintinance, you will hear a BIG difference. If their was little difference, I would have bought a 2000 model bass. I don't have money to burn.
    When they first came out (then labeled the NSK models) they were the best in their perspetive price range. Since then however, there have been some basses that exceeds
    those models for the dollar so I will suggest a couple of other models before the 2000 Spectors. But like I said, If you're happy with your bass, that's what matters most.
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    RIZ...dont discriminate based on age! If he doesnt give a price limit, suggest what you think is best! Who cares how old he is? I personally find it annoying when people automatically assume young people arent good at the instrument, and this, dont deserve any good instrument. Thats what happened to me when i posted about whether to get a Modulus or not. The FIRST poster (and the first person to ever respond to my posts) said "Theres nothing worse than buying an instrument you dont deserve but you still suck $hit". Yeah, thanks to him! I almost decided not to post here anymore. I got my Modulus anyway, because i have experience...8 years of it. More than a lot of people here. So who cares how old he is? If he wants advice on what Spector, and doesnt give a price limit, tell him what you think is best, not what you think is best for someone his/her age that you dont know.
  15. BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Hey MegaAngus.

I understand bro. That's why I don't have my age posted on my profile. I don't need some old fart telling me that I suck and have " a lot to learn before I can begin to understand all there is to know about Bass." I learned that along time ago under a different name. No one can piss me off enough to get me to quit though, so haha! [​IMG]

Ain't it Funny How the Night Moves

[This message has been edited by BassIsBest (edited July 31, 2000).]
  16. Hey guys, cool down, o.k. NO offense was intended. I thought I put in a disclaimer that everyone could understand.

Discrimination based on age? [​IMG]
    There is no problem with age. That means everyone's age. Big deal, I am older than you. All that means is that I will probably die before you [​IMG]

You shouldn't be so up tight. I was merely pointing out the realities(which sometimes suck) of being 15. If you re-read my post regarding being 15 and working, going to school, too young to drive,.. blah, blah blah... and then having $1500.00 or more to spend on a bass...it seems a bit unlikely, not impossible, just unlikely.

If the original poster does have that kind of cash- that's awesome!! God bless him.

He hasn't come back to give anymore info on what his price range is- if he did that would narrow things down quite a bit, wouldn't you say?

Has anyone thought that he might have read the first few replys and thought something like: "geezo, these guys are all saying to get a USA or CZ series Spector...man, I don't got the cash for that..what'll I do now???"

He could even be a little aprehensive about saying what he can and cannot afford....

Whatever he gets I know he will feel it's the excat right bass for him, and that's what's important.

So, back to the age thing, try to remember this:

Getting old SUCKS, chill out and enjoy your youth. Trust me, you will be celebrating your 40th b-day before you even realize it.

Then we'll all be old together [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by RIZ (edited August 02, 2000).]
  17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nono, i wasnt so much uptight/offended as i was not wanting more people to get sucked into the "those damn younguns" thing...all kids hate that, like BassIsBest said. Some kids do suck (at bass, im talking about), some are good, some are incredible. Some are poor, some are, um, "average" (? lack of better wording), and some are rich. Who cares! Just answer the question based on the information given! Thats all. Im not offended, just wanted to say. [​IMG] Its all good! But yeah, he DEFINITELY shouldve posted the money limit, or stated his money situation. And yeah, its more his fault than anything. The poster needs to back and clarify (I hate it when posters never come back and check their threads!).

"Watch out, im gonna throw another duck at you!"

~Prez. Biski

18. sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC

I picked up a real spector for my first time at Sam Ash today, I played a Rebob in cherry and Zebrano top. I really liked both, especially how they felt very lightweight while still seeming like a solid instrument. I liked the tone of the Zebrano better, however.

I've been interested in a Legend 4 Custom for a while, should i just wait to get a Rebop or is the construction very similar? (by that i mean is a rebop worth the additional $500 or so)
  19. silverburst

silverburst Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wow. This thread is eight years old.
  20. ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    I think that the rebop is worth it.
    But as i read in TB, in the US u can find used rebops quite cheap.
    Ask this question in the Spector Club thread, u'll get mmany answers.