Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LAW, Aug 13, 2005.

1. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Hi all,
    Just looking for some info on spectors. I love the look of them, wondering how they sound.
    Also on schecters. Love the look of the stiletto. Wondering how it sounds.

2. Spectors generally have quite a modern sound, with lots of fizzy treble and tight lows. Great slap basses. Dunno about Schecters though.

Oh, and Spectors are beautiful! :cool:

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Even the entry level axes in the Spector Line smoke most other manufacturers...like Porsche, there is NO substitute!

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Spectors have a very bright punchy sound, very distinctive. Lots of people like the sound, you might not though, but Spectors are very popular so finding a few to try out shouldn't be an issue.

Personally I think they're some of the best basses out there, though I don't own one at the moment.

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Ditto on all the above.... Spector is very bright and punchy. To my ear like a Stingray with more sustain. IMHO the Euro neck throughs are some of the best deals around for a well made four string. The CS at Spector is also fantastic. Happy hunting....

6. I just got my Spector Rebop 5 and I truly love it. It has a lot of growl with the two humbuckers equipped and is the best feeling 5 string I played. I did play the Schecter 5 string as well and it came in a very close second. I didnt like the colors available and the body style couldnt compete with the Spector stylings.
    [​IMG]

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Paging Firk
    Paging Spector Ray

Spectors absolutly rule, IMO. Especially with a pick through 400W of tubes. I really don't see myself playing anything else.
    Just go play one for yourself and see if you like them or not.

-Ray

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Did someone call?

A lot has already been said about the sound already that I hate to waste space on the subject, but it's still worth repeating. Your Spector with EMG's in the basic P/J configuration can yield an infinite amount of tone from bright and punchy to growly to a deep, fat tone. Dial in any setting you choose along with your personal preference in effects(or not) along with a decent rig(although I have played a US NS-2 through a 15 watt amp and it sounded good) and you have a major player. I've owned an '88 USA NS-2 and a couple of Korean NS-2A's and all have sounded and played like a dream. I upgraded the Koreans with EMG actives and that's it.

By far, I believe any Spector with the popular fully contoured NS body shape is the most comfortable playing bass EVER. Anyone, particularly me with a seasoned gut :D will totally fall in love with it and they don't weigh a ton, so that aspect is indeed appreciated.
    Sadly, though, mine were "borrowed" from me without my consent back in '91, so I don't have any experience with the current lines including the Euro and Korean models. If you want up to date detailed experience, ask Firkinahsoul, Josh Curry, Nino Valenti, or Cetera. These guys are experts on Spectors and have far more experience on different models, p/u configurations and preamps than I do. Also, PJ Rubal at www.spectorbass.com is an awesome source for information as is Todd Cooke at www.spectorworld.com

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Spector vs. Shecter? Only the names sound alike!!!!!! Unless you are into a more vintage tone, the Spector bass kills. Truly the most comfortable bass body design ever.

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I'll wager dollars to donuts that if you play both, you'll end up with a Spector.