1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grkkid, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Grkkid

Grkkid

Apr 18, 2006
    I was wondering if a Spector bass is a good kind to get. I really like to play slap bass and funk/rock and I don't know if there are better basses for this type of music. Thanks.

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    spectors are awesome sounding basses.

I played a spector EURO xl or something, the only thing which you may not like about it is the fact that body is really really curved

3. I absolutely love my legend 4. The thing is that theyre passive pickups with an active preamp. You have so much range in tones and they play so nice. Ive never disliked any spector Ive played.

4. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The spectors I've played were great and perfect for the sound you are going after. If you have the money (I think about $1300-$1500) I would suggest looking into the euro series.

5. I've always loved Spectors (come in at a 2nd place to my Modulus). The curved bodies is what first turned me onto them but they have a great, bright, growly sound. Me, personally, I prefer the Spectors with the PJ pickup config.

If you are interested in hearing some great Spector playing, in a rock and slap situation, check out some of Doug Wimbish's work with Living Colour (Stain or Collideoscope CD's) or Head Fake. He does use alot of effects. But, when he plays clean, you can hear that great Spector sound.

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Spectors are great. Now I can't really talk about slap tone (I havn't figured out how to slap), but the pop you can get out of it (at least, out of mine) is nice and twangy. Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard someone say something bad about Spectors (or at least, any Spector that isn't a Performer, which is still a good bass, I think, for the money).

I've got a Spector Legend. PJ pick ups. Active controls. I can get a bunch of sounds out of it. It's great. I highly suggest you check them out.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have a lower end Spector (NS2000 Q6) and I love the thing to death. SOooooooo comfortable to play and, even though mine has the EMG HZ pickups, the slap tone is sweet. Very crisp and articulate.

The Spector Legends have got to be some of the best values going, IMHO.

I'd get another Spector in a minute and I'd love to get my hands on a Euro eventually.

8. Everytime I see one of these "Are Spector basses good?" threads, I have to post:

Yes! I love my Spectors! :D

Seriously, get one. You won't be disappointed.

9. Are there any basses in that price range where there is an overwhelming agreement that they suck?

As for the style of music you are interested in doing, with the exception of BC Rich, most bass makers cater for a wide range of tastes. It all comes down to your own personal choice when you're trying to decide which bass to purchase.

10. Spector basses are my favorites. I currently have a Q4 Pro (NS-2000 style body). I can get a nice range of tones from it and it plays soooo nice. I get a lot of compliments about good it looks and sounds.

Being that I want to play a five string, I have a Spector Euro 5 LX on order.

Paul Mac

11. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    I am looking into getting a Spector (legend/legend classic 4) so this thread couldn't have come along at a better time ,hell maybe it's a sign ! Cult of Personality is one of my all time favorite rock songs so to hear that Doug plays or played Spectors makes them even more enticing !

12. Does Spector have Warwick's equivalent of the budget Rockbass?

13. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    BTW I called my local GC about A Legend and the guy told me they had 5 from $399 and up including a bubinga top for $419 !! Was he on crack or should I hurry to Guitar Center ?

14. I dunno...the $399 is probably the Performer series. He might have been on crack, but I got my Legend 5 for $450 at GC; it was tagged at $699...
    C7

15. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    iirc I played a performer at another GC about a month ago and I think it was marked $339. So I hope his glass pipe wasn't still warm when he gave me that price.But he did read right off of their computer "Spector Legend , bolt on neck , EMG p/u's .......bubinga top $419". It's worth checkin' out just in case , right ?!

16. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    yes.

17. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

It's probably a 2005 model. There were some changes made between the 2005 and 2006 models. Check the Spector website for the details.

They are probably blowing out the 2005 models. Pick it up, it will be well worth it regardless of whether it's an older model or not. I have a 2005 model and love it.

18. slaprock

slaprock

Dec 19, 2004
    tacoma, wa
    I've played a few spector basses at the music store, and always find myself suprised at how good they sound and feel.

19. I may wind up getting an NS-JH6 to act as my "normal" bass after I order my 7-string. I played a couple at ABG and really loved the sound and playability. Great tonal contrast to the Roscoe sound.

20. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    Is yours a J/J or P/J configuration ? I've seen the Legend with both. Pros & Cons of either one ?