Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdude63, Jan 13, 2003.

1. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Does anyone out there own a Czech-made Spector 5-string?(NS5CRFM). I see they have a 35" scale, which really helps with the B-string's clarity. I just bought a NS4CRFM and I really love it. I'm thinking about selling my Stingray-5 and buying one. After playing my Spector live, it's become my all-time favorite gigging bass. Also, has anyone compared the Czech made Spectors to the top of the line USA neck-through models? If so, how do they compare tone and feel wise?
    Thanks

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    PLEASE do a search for "Spector" you will find alot of info, The difference between the USA and Czech made models are slim, in my opinion. I would buy another spector, they are amoung the GREATEST basses in the world. I envy you, bass brother.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    BULL!

4. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Thanks for your advice. As for Ram's opinion(BULL) regarding the advantages of a 35" scale on a 5-String: Take your Rouge bass to your local music store, pick up a Modulus Quantum-5, a Lakland USA 5, or any other quality made 5-string with a 35" scale and compare it to a quality made 5-string with a 34" scale. If you can't hear a difference, go see an audiologist for a hearing loss evaluation. I presently own an Alembic Excel 5 and a Stingray-5 with 34" scales. The difference in definition is quite noticeable.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No, it's not. but hey, if your ears think a 35 sounds better, more power to you!;) And come on, comparing a rouge with a short scale 5, to a Alembic or sepctor is not fair. there are plenty good 5 strings that are not a huge scale. I mean, unless, you REALLY suck at winding strings on your short scale basses;)

Do a search on THIS as well. it's been discussed a bit.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Apples to elephants...

I've played basses that were made by the SAME luthier using the SAME components, the only difference of which was the scale length. I couldn't tell the difference, and I'd put money on it that you couldn't, either.;)

7. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Where can we meet for a blindfold test and how much money can you afford to lose? As for my thoughts on a 5-string with a 34" scale-length: I would'nt own the 2 I have if they did'nt get the job done. I was stating that in my opinion, a 35" scale length adds more definition to the lowest notes on the B string. Your BULL comment was quite immature and uncalled for. If you choose to disagree with my opinion, that's great. Please do it more tactfully. Thanks

8. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
  9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You want to meet for a blindfold test? I'll tell you what...you get to pick the place and the basses tested. My only requirement is that you find two basses made of the same wood combinations, the same electronics, same hardware, same body shape, and the same luthier. In fact, aside from scale length, everything else must be reasonably similar.

If you can think of one, fantastic! I'll meet you any time, any place to make that comparison!:D

If not, then I suggest you change your opening statement in this thread to include "IMO". If you do, then I'll do the same...m'kay?;)

10. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Let's wait until the baseball season starts. I've always wanted to see a game at Wrigley Field, let's say when the Cubs are hosting the Giants. Seeing as I have no large Boutique-type bass stores in my area, You pay for my ticket to Chicago, we'll try the test using 2 Ken Smith 5 strings, same model different scale lengths. If I lose, I reimburse you for my airfare. If I win, you pay for the round trip, accomodations, and we'll split the cost of the ballgame and beers. Bring your Cubs hat... I can't wait to boo at Dusty Baker!

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"
    "Young man, how is it you do not?"

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Luthier's Access Group in Chicago has several Jerzy Drozd basses with very minor differences between 'em all. We can check them out, depending on what's in stock. Other than that, I don't know who has Ken Smiths in Chicago.

As far as a Cubbies game goes, you're quite welcome to come in and witness the Cubs in the midst of yet another losing season. I'm a fan, but a perenially disappointed fan.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Cool on the Spector purchase!

I've got 3 Spectors myself all 5 stringers. The 2 NS5CR (the older model) basses have 34" scale. These both have very good sounding B strings. My REX2000/5 has a 35" scale neck. It has a very good sounding B.

I couldn't say that either is particularly better than the others. What I will say is that for some reason I'm really enjoying the REX2000/5 just now - it seems 'easier' to play. I can play more intricate things on it than the 2 Czech basses. Maybe I just need to practice more with them! I don't know.....

13. Hey, thats weird because I find it easier to play my new Czech than my Rex, especially up near the nut - naturally has to do with the neck dive I suppose. I guess you're just used to that more now? Well, neither one of them is a chore to play .... and they will both be my "main" axe!