Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector bridge/string size question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 2099, Jan 17, 2004.

1. 2099

Jul 4, 2003
    So I have a Spector NS-5CRFM which I have owned for about six months. As much as I love dead strings, I've decided it's time for a change. I went to the Sam Ash about an hour away from here and picked up a set of Elixirs with Nano-web coating or something. As I begin to change them I notice that they don't fit. The spot on the bridge to insert the string is obviously made for exposed core strings or what have you. So my question is this:
    How do other Spector owners or people with similar style bridges deal with this problem?
    I don't want to have to drive and return them, but I really don't want to lose my fifty dollars. Do I need to buy a specific type of string or can I just "fix" these to fit by cutting away some of the bottom? I can put them on but about 0.25" sticks out of the bridge.
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions or comments.

2. Is what you are describing that the string is not able to be pulled through the hole in the back of the bridge to allow the ball end to seat up against the back of the chassis?

I've had this problem before when changing string gauges. Some of the windings at the big end are just too piled up to get through the mount. I just enlarged the hole slightly then re-camfered the opening the avoid a sharp edge.

3. 2099

Jul 4, 2003
    Yes, that is exactly the problem and that is most likely what I'll have to do. I'm just not good with things like that at all and with my luck I would ruin the bridge.

4. Send it to me and I'll make the mod for you free of charge. Just take care of shipping.

5. 2099

Jul 4, 2003
    I was thinking that I could unravel the bottom of the strings as a quick fix, but I'm not sure if this is smart or not. Or if it would have a negative effect on the sound of the strings. I tried it on an old one first. I've got a picture I will attach. You'll have to excuse my ignorance in all of this, I've never had this problem with previous basses or guitars.

Also, sorry for the bad picture, I don't own a camera so I just laid it on my scanner.

6. Interesting solution. I wouldn't have done that because of fear of it unwinding more. If you have a way to tie off that wrapping and keep it tight, you might have a good chance of saving things as they are.

Good Luck