Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass349, Aug 23, 2003.

1. hey all,

I have a spector NS2000 that is fitted with their typical "spector Locking Bridge". Its fine until you have to set the intonation. Once unlocked, you actually have to move the saddle with your fingers - no precise adjustment with screws or anything.

Don't get me wrong, i love my bass dearly - but this is my one qualm.

does anybody else have this problem with the spector bridges?

cheers all,
    Andrew.

Ps. incidently i have never seen a spector with a different bridge. this probably means nobody else has any problem with their bridges...:confused:

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm interested in this myself...I usually let my tech do the intonation, but I want to be more self sufficient when I'm on the road or if something happens at a gig...I tried it once, and it worked out okay (it seemed) but I was never sure...

3. Mosher

Mosher

May 18, 2005
    Atlanta
    Bumping this up, after three years.

I'd love to hear some more dissertation on this, I have an interesting problem: the saddle needs to sit back well past the set screw on the E side. I figure it's because I run a somewhat low-gauge (.105") string there (EB Hybrid Slinks).

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Wow, an oldie but a goodie!

New tech, had that problem changing gauges and detuning a whole step...Jeff just turned the saddle the "wrong" way, and it worked fine!

Give it a try...

5. Mosher

Mosher

May 18, 2005
    Atlanta
    Upon inspection, I wondered if turning the saddles around might help. I flipped them around earlier today before putting on a new set of strings, but I'm waiting for my racktuner to arrive (tomorrow!) before I have at the intonation.

Thanks for the tip.

6. Yeah the bridge is crazy and not very user friendly at all. I looked at it for like an hour before making any changes and was amazed that I actually had to move the saddles with my fingers.

7. I have two Spectors, one 4 and one 5 string. I've set the intonation and break angle on both a few times and have not had any problems. I just loosen the string a bit before making adjustments. The bridge design is about maximizing the tonal connection between the end of the strings and the body, which helps with the sustain.

Paul Mac