1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Classic Legend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeadMike, Apr 10, 2006.

1. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I was in my local GC on Saturday and found a sunburst Spector Classic Legend 4-string. I sat down with it and it played beautifully. The back of the headstock said crafted in the Czech Republic.

So here's the question....what are your thoughts on this bass? How does it compare to other Spector basses? I've searched this forum and found lots of good things about Spector, but not so much about this specific bass.

My background is Fender Jazz basses. Our band recorded this past weekend and I had my Jazz strapped around my neck for about 6 hours....I'm dying today. The Legend felt about half as heavy, but sounded great.

Any response is appreciated.

2. Hmm... I think the bass you played was mis-marked. The Spector Legend series is not made in the Czech-Republic. The ReBop DLX basses are made there and available in the Tobacco Sunburst finish. I'm thinking that's what you played. Yes, the ReBop DLX basses are nice. Great looks, great tone and great feeling.

Paul Mac

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Since it's mismarked, what are they asking for it? If they're selling it as marked, you may get one heck of a deal! Just a thought!

4. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Yeah, it was marked for $419.00. I was thrown for a loop, for sure.

5. BUY IT NOW!!!!

6. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Yeah....so I tried. Over the lunch hour, a coworker and I went out to the GC. I played it a little and one of the guys came over to assist. I asked if the price was an error and he said no, that they were probably discontinuing the model for something better. Mind you, the label said Spector Legend Rebop 4-string. I was ready to buy at $419. In the past year, I've purchased a lot of stuff from their store, including two basses, a new bass rig, mixing board, mics, etc.

When we got to the register, he realized he had been mistaken and that the markdown from $1499 should have only gone down to $999. He wouldn't honor the tag that was on it. I had to walk on the bass, which is too bad, because I really liked it. It would have saved my back a lot of pain.

7. Which GC location did you visit? A few months ago, the East Brunswick, NJ store was selling them for $899.

Paul Mac

8. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Its the GC in West Des Moines, IA

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I knew something was wrong there! If you had gotten that bass for $419, that woulda been the deal of the century (probably exagerating but...)!! At least it was worth a shot!

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Does he have to honour the ticket, BY LAW? At least that's how is canucks roll...

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A light Spector? Damn...someone check hell, I think it's frosting up! I have nothing against Spectors at all, but the Czech models tend to be darned heavy!

12. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    No, unfortunately, if they make it seem like an honest mistake, then they aren't liable, at least I wouldn't put them to the test. I've gotten to know a few of the guys that work there and they've really helped me refine my tone over the years, but it still kind of sucks. I really wanted that bass. As I was walking out, the sales guy was running back to the back room, probably to get a new ticket printed up. My hope is that I can save up enough cash to get it before someone else does, although I'm not sure that I'd feel comfortable going back to the same store for the same bass after that experience. Maybe one of these days I'll get the chance to roadtrip to one of your bigger bass stores. Any suggestions? I'm in the middle of Iowa.

By the way, how do the Korean made Spectors stack up against the Czech made Spectors. I think the Legend Classic 4's are made in Korea and are very similar in shape, etc to the Czech made Rebop I guess I came across. I've tended to shy from Korean made guitars as I've had some pretty bad experiences with lower end Korean guitars in the past. But I know those were from different manufacturers and possibly even flukes with the manufacturing.