Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector! (clip inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    So what is it about these old 80's Kramer Spectors that keeps me coming back? I just picked this one up from tb user Jive1, and love it.

I've owned 14 (I think) Spectors....5 of these 2a's, a 2000/5, a few czech 4's and 5's, and even a Kramer era USA NS-2.

Why is it the older ones have such nice necks compared to the ones built post Kramer? I know this is subjective, but to me the newer ones are baseball bats.

I am also well aware of numerous people claiming the cheap electronics in the 2A's need to be replaced, I personally disagree. To my ears, I prefer it to the EMG/Hazlabs setup. Not nearly as harsh, and a great slap tone.

Here's a clip I made about an hour ago displaying it's slap tone. Anyone else into these?

spector-slap

2. Tim, do you have lyrics for that yet :D ? Nice. I'm getting a USA 5 (NS JH5FM) on monday. I'm hopin' it's not a baseball bat neck.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yes, I have lyrics, but that is top secret. I am naming it "Guitar Center nightmare" :)

Cool on the J5, that's one of the few spectors I haven't yet owned. Fill us in on the details when you get it.

4. I also have one of these basses. It's a totally awesome bass. I can udnerstand why you like them so much! :bassist:

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I guess we do have something in common afterall :) Except, I'm not working to change the face of anything, I am satifisfied with mediocrity lol.

I think the tone of these falls between a stingray and a thumb.

6. Yes, the tone is kinda like half way between a Thumb and Stingray. They can growl likem ad if you play them right, but when you slap them, they have a huge amount of punch, like a Stingray.

7. Erm, yeh.........you play fast........

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Nice! I'm digging that color. I'm considering picking myself up a Euro 4 in blue burst down the road.

~Patrick

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tone sounds pretty good. Hows the fingerstyle tone?

10. Tim, regarding Guitar Center Nightmare, I go to my GC and there are kids(15-20 tops) who absolutely smoke me at slapping and I'm pretty proficient. They sound like Les Claypool and Flea's bastard love child. BTW I'll be sure to post my JH 5 experience as I can't seem to find any info on them.

11. Right after watching it that is pretty much what I thought, except it reminded me more of a Sterling. Cool bass Tim and nice clip.

-Tyler

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can see the comparison to a Sterling, although mine has a little more punch to it when slapping.

13. I've just been listening to a local band a lot and their bassist uses a sterling and she gets a slap tone pretty dang similar to Tim's Spector.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Amps and EQ can have a lot to do with it, im sure. I bet my amp has a lot to do with my tone as well, so i guess its hard to compare indeed. One things for sure, my sterling has my fav slap tone out of any bass ive playes so far :) Others come close though, but other aspects of this bass make it great as well.

I want to try a bongo someday as well..

15. So how is the overall playability of the bass? Looking at pics of both pre-, during- and post-Kramer Spectors, it has always seemed to me that the lower cutaway on the N/T:s is hindering access to the highest frets, while the bolt-ons doesn't seem to have that problem.

For the retail price some of the USA Spectors cost, you'd really want everything to be perfect.

16. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    That had me giggling like a little girl :)

My NS-94/NS2000 (With baseball bat neck... which I like, actually) can sound pretty similiar to that, although not when I'm holding it :meh:

17. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Link's not working?

Hey, Tyler what band?

18. Links not working for me either. :(

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    404!!!! AHHH!!!!