Spector clones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flea Claydirnt, May 3, 2001.

1. Has anyone seen these Schecters...

An even better question would be has anyone heard and/or played one. I'm not really thinking of getting one, I'd probably rather go with a Spector. I was wondering what you guys think mostly for $h!ts and giggles. Isn't it funny that Schecter & Spector even kinda sound the same :) .
    Oh yeah and there is cheaper ones than the one in the pic along with 5 string models.
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I doubt Schecter makes anything to intentionally clone a certain company. Perhaps you should look at their other models, they have their own independent looks. That's just the top they have on one of their basses. I think that's a vague comparison, sorry.
  3. I know Schecter makes many other different looking models I was just thinking this particular model appears to be a 'Spector' model. There are some differences of course but it does look familiar.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    They do look somewhat similar, considering both basses have a relatively same looking body style, same with the top they have on them, Spector uses that type of top also, but rest assure, that's not the only company that puts tops on their basses. I'm sure they sound similiar also, both companies use EMG's a lot. The Schecter only has a 2 band EQ if I'm correct, and most Spectors come with 3 band EQ's.
  5. Although I wouldn't call them an all out clone, these new "Diamond" model import Schecter basses are definitely Spector inspired in their body design.
  6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    "most Spectors come with 3 band EQ's."

7. phogchris, when are you going to sport a photo of your Spector? I wouldn't mind checking out the others too!
  8. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    ooh, actually, I decided the Spector wasn't for me after all....I just love the graphite, cold sound I get with a Modulus or Zon and think the money would be better spent on one of those.
  9. Looking back I think I should have called this thread 'Spector Inspired', clone sounds to harsh & I don't want to offend Schecter owners.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Dosen't look like a Spector to me. Looks like a nice bass, though. I think I read a thread that someone bought one & liked it alot. Don't remember who, though.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

12. Looks more like the NS-2000 body than the original Spector NS body.
  13. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Warwick Streamer anyone? Now there's a Spector clone!
  14. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, my Spector only has a 2 band eq...come to think of it, that may be why it has no midrange;)

Sorry...couldn't resist:p

Schecter, by the way, has made a lot of guitars and basses that look like other brands. In the early 1980's, there were ads in guitar magazines that IMPLIED that Pete Townshend was using the Telecaster lookalikes. I never followed up to see if he was actually using the Schecters or not...
  15. Embellisher is correct! I got my Schecter almost a month ago. It's a nice bass. However, it's currently down due to the nut that holds the input jack connection letting loose. Small problem, should be a quick fix, but I'm lazy. :)

I also agree that the Schecter is only vaugley similiar to the Spector. The head is different, bridge is different (I believe?) and just the general shape is quite different.