1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Club - Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Nov 6, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    HA! First. :smug:

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    see that #2 next to your post? ;)

4. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Posted this on Spector club 6, but then we hit 1000 and it got locked so here it is again

Just finished a "Tonedump" on my Rebop :hyper:

Not only did I dump the TP for the EMG BQC but I also swapped the HZ's for DC's! Oh, and before anyone recommends it, I went 18v

Ran into an issue with which wires went to which tabs on the jack. I took photos of the TP before removal but I mixed up which wire went where when (holy alliteration) tying into the old jack. Anyway figured it out now and all is well.

What a difference in sound! The old "pulling the duvet off the amp" analogy definitely applies here. Holy Transparency! First thing I noticed (other than the clarity) was actually less bass freq output. With the TP (I had a pre trim pot model) when you boosted the bass it rattled plates in the kitchen. This is a much more gradual progression. The treble mid-point is more like having the treble near the top on the TP. All the adjustments seem much more usable. Plus I don't have to use the input pad on my amp anymore.

Big difference on the B string. With the TP it got muffled and boomy above F, now you can use it anywhere and the proper tone comes through.

The newfound clarity/DC's is gonna take some getting used to. It is not harsh whatsoever but I am finding it much clicky/zingier than the old setup (and that's with the tweeter off!). Mind you I'm still fiddling with the controls. The TP in comparison seemed to be very low/low mid oriented. The new tone is still nice and aggressive with much more variety (thanks captain obvious) and waaay more clarity. I was actually cutting the freq's to get more vintage tones out. Very sweet.

Does anybody have any recommendations for where to set the knee frequencies on the pre to take some of the "click" out? I will go and try a few.

WOOO!

EDIT:

I ended up setting the knee frequency at 8 kHz. It's the highest but also seemed the least "zingy" and harsh. Choices are 2.5, 3.5, 5.0 and 8.0kHz.

I am starting to see a BIG problem with this pre......

TOO MANY CHOICES!!!! :eek:

5. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    This thread needs some color...

Spector_NS5FL_100_0985. 20100906_DMP2057_SSD_2-29-96.
    Anticipation.
    Spector_1182.
    IMG_0093.

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Oh Kay, I'll play:

(though a little more "earthtone" compared to Bobunit's Spector rainbow ;))

IMG_3051.

IMG_3055.

I love how it's called Zebrano "top". Its 3/4 of the bass!

7. JPSBassist

JPSBassist

Feb 10, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Cool. If you get a chance can you take some photos of the inside of your control cavity?
    It's nice to have that sort of thing for future reference, if anyone outside of TB asks.
    If you don't mind sharing.
    An 18v EMG tone circuit with DCs... Sounds like it sould sound wicked.
    Can't wait to see photos.
    :D

8. Seriously, I have the same "issue" with my 4 & 5-string "ZeBops". :D As I also own two FM Maple-topped ReBops, it's clear that it's not simply for a natural finish... my Zebrawood ReBops are noticeably "punchier" than the Maples but the latter have a certain "sweetness" to them, especially my FM fretless. :)

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You're a Mod. You don't count. :spit:

:smug:

10. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    More Spector prons!

Bobunits red 5er in the last picture is.......... well. Mmm mmmm mmmmmmmmmmm.

11. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    A couple of shots of me in the studio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    No longer mine, but I still like it. :)

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Was the EMG BQC easy to install? I'm happy with the TP but would love to have a mids control.

14. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Not at all :D

Get ready for photobucket overload....

Eagle eyed Spector fans will notice that the Rebop control cavity is shaped a bit different than the LX's. Luckily, there was room for the second 9v where the old pre box used to reside.

First off, the Tone Pump:

CIMG1202.

2nd, the tone Dump:

Hey, what the heck is that red wire? *scratches head* oh yeah, the Hz's were passive so that would be the bridge ground. Why its red? couldn't tell ya.

CIMG1206.

3rd, whoa things just got a little more crowded! I don't think anyone will be nominating me for the TB "clean wiring" award but hey, it all works!

CIMG1214.

CIMG1220.

CIMG1216.

CIMG1222.

Here's the finished product:

Spector's routing is crazy! It took five minutes just to get the friggin pickups into the routes it's so tight!

CIMG1213.

I actually like the EMG supplied knobs :bag: although I need to go back and add washers under the pots as the knobs sit about 1/16" off the the top.

All was done over a couple hours in my living room (my wife rocks!). Funny thing is that EMG has changed the design of the bigger PCB as compared to older ones I have seen, and as compared to the supplied instructions :scowl:. It wasn't too hard to figure out but still a bit of a head scratcher at first.

Here is what I don't get: EMG stuff is all about the quick connect, solderless install, plug and play etc. If the BQC system is meant to only work with EMG pickups why is it not designed to all just click together with the quick connects????

Sorry about the mega post. I'm off work and bored following having my nose rebuilt and sinuses bored out. It wasn't fun but there is no sense having a huge nose and not being able to breathe out of it :D (Gotta take advantage of that free healthcare :bag:)

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not only that, but I found out as I was swapping in some TW's in place of the EMG-SSD's that were originally in my Legend 6 that the SSD's were about half a millimeter shorter than regular EMG's (both the TW's and SSD's were 45's). And thus, so were the routes. I had to get the dremmel out and reem them a little to get the TW's in.

SpectorLegend6TWs1.

16. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Not the best pics, but then my camera sucks...

You can see some scratches on the surface.

NS-2A

DSCF1741.

DSCF1742.

DSCF1743.

DSCF1744.

DSCF1747.

DSCF1748.

The stickers don't photograph well, they look great though!

Can someone shed some light on the body wood and the neck?

17. Maple and maple. Just like the US NS2 :bassist:

18. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Excellent. Thanks!

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm not totally convinced of this (although the old print ads agree with you).
    I've owned 3 NS2A's over the years and all 3 were quite a bit lighter (25-30%) than my US and Czech NS's. :meh:

Different Maple grade?
    Different prep?

20. JPSBassist

JPSBassist

Feb 10, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    NS-2A models were made with a totally different grade maple than their USA counterparts.

The USA models use AAAA grade quilted maple. Much heavier.

The NS-2A was great for what they were. And the maple that was used to make their bodies is on par with the maple Spector uses to make the current legend models.

It's solid maple but just not the really high grade stuff used in the USA workshop.

My NS-2A weighs about the same as my Euro, but is noticably lighter than my USA.

One of the basses shipped to me for BPL was a new Legend6-Classic. One solid, heavy piece of wood. And the quilt top is beautiful. But really thin. The majority of the body consists of this massive chunk of solid maple.
    IMHO, it's all good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.