1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Core semi hollow fretless...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Jul 23, 2004.

1. I'm gonna be looking for a fretless 5 (hopefully 6) soon and I was wondering how these spector cores are?

any body tried em yet?

they are Korean made,semi hollow,EMG-hz pickup,active EQ

they look GREAT...but I'm more interested in sound/playability than looks...

2. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    btt~

It's been awhile since I've frequented the TB boards (Dec-2002 actually!! :eek: ), but I'm on the market for a new fretless. Was thinking 6-string, but I'm going to settle for a 5er strung with a high-C. I love my NS-5CR, and was wondering how these played and sounded in comparison to SSD's other basses, and considering it is a sub-$1000 bass. None of the shops around me seem to have any in stock to try out. :(

Anyone have any input? Suggestions for other sub-$1000 5-string fretlesses? Or hell, decent 6-string fretless for a bit more??? :D

3. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have a 55-02 Laklanad fretless (Korean) that I just love. I got it with a case off eBay for $510. It is by far the least expensive (and only non-USA) bass I own, but I really like it, and it is a dream to play.

4. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Just ordered the five string version, black, fretless.

I actually had the same problem w/ ordering, none of the shops in Chicago or St. Louis seemed willing to handle this thing. I ended up having to call Spector, who gave me the number of Bass Central in Florida. Gard in turn cut me a deal on one for about $620, delivered w/gig bag for about $700.

Maybe it's just the new gear honeymoon, but I'm really digging this thing. I've been playing my friends 'core for a while, and they just sound smooth. Action can be dialed in very low, tone is diverse. For under a grand, I'm pretty happy. I can take this bass to my Irish gig because of the semi-hollow cred, and it fits at the metal shows because it's black!

The pups are kind of strange. The EMG is actually a little too fat by itself, unless you're playing dub. Likewise, the piezo is pretty harsh. However, a blend of the two can get great tones.

Hope this helps!

5. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Cool. I bought my first Spector from Bass Central, and was going to give them a call today for a quote. If what you say is true, then doesn't sound like a bad deal. :eyebrow: