Spector Core semi hollow fretless...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Jul 23, 2004.

1. I'm gonna be looking for a fretless 5 (hopefully 6) soon and I was wondering how these spector cores are?

any body tried em yet?

they are Korean made,semi hollow,EMG-hz pickup,active EQ

they look GREAT...but I'm more interested in sound/playability than looks...
  2. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY

It's been awhile since I've frequented the TB boards (Dec-2002 actually!! :eek: ), but I'm on the market for a new fretless. Was thinking 6-string, but I'm going to settle for a 5er strung with a high-C. I love my NS-5CR, and was wondering how these played and sounded in comparison to SSD's other basses, and considering it is a sub-$1000 bass. None of the shops around me seem to have any in stock to try out. :(

Anyone have any input? Suggestions for other sub-$1000 5-string fretlesses? Or hell, decent 6-string fretless for a bit more??? :D
  3. 1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have a 55-02 Laklanad fretless (Korean) that I just love. I got it with a case off eBay for $510. It is by far the least expensive (and only non-USA) bass I own, but I really like it, and it is a dream to play.
  4. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Just ordered the five string version, black, fretless.

I actually had the same problem w/ ordering, none of the shops in Chicago or St. Louis seemed willing to handle this thing. I ended up having to call Spector, who gave me the number of Bass Central in Florida. Gard in turn cut me a deal on one for about $620, delivered w/gig bag for about $700.

Maybe it's just the new gear honeymoon, but I'm really digging this thing. I've been playing my friends 'core for a while, and they just sound smooth. Action can be dialed in very low, tone is diverse. For under a grand, I'm pretty happy. I can take this bass to my Irish gig because of the semi-hollow cred, and it fits at the metal shows because it's black!

The pups are kind of strange. The EMG is actually a little too fat by itself, unless you're playing dub. Likewise, the piezo is pretty harsh. However, a blend of the two can get great tones.

Hope this helps!
  5. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Cool. I bought my first Spector from Bass Central, and was going to give them a call today for a quote. If what you say is true, then doesn't sound like a bad deal. :eyebrow: