1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Czech-made questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RayO5421, Aug 11, 2007.

1. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Hello all,
    I've been a big fan of Spectors ever since I saw their Euro model on musiciansfriend. I ended up getting a used Fender active P which is a great bass but I don't think its my thing as much as I used to. The passive J bass sound has grown on me. I know the Spector Czechs are active basses but I've got to give them a shot because for any bass I look at, my GAS always seems to come back to Spectors.

I guess I'm just looking for some insight into them; what style of music are they for, how hot are their pickups, do you like yours?

As I said I like the passive Jazz sound but I guess you describe the sound I want as "full". Some treble in it to stand out a bit from the mix but in no way do I really want to cut through. I just like depth and fullness, the kind of sound from a bass that just sort of lays down a solid sound for the rest of the band to follow.

I'll get my hands on one soon enough, I'll be heading to NYC to see Monty Python's Spamalot this Wendsday (great show, saw it before, it was hysterical!) so I'll deffinately make a pilgramage over to 48th street and terrorize the staff of Rudy's, Manny's, and Sam Ash.

Anyway (are you still reading?), just looking for some info and opinions on the Spector sound, playability, and your opinions on them.

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well they fit in what ever songs you want to use them in. I don't have any Spectors left at the moment, but for years I gigged with my old Jazz Basses and a Spector (czech) NS4 and NS5. They sound great...nice glassy top-end. I'm looking forward to another Spector sometime in the near future.

The only time they seemed overbearing and out of place is when I gigged with a country band a while back.

3. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    I don't know, I'll deffinately have to try some Spectors and some Jazz basses out. Those are the two I'm really looking at for the moment.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I love mine and I didn't choose my username for nothing.

They definitely have a piano-like clarity and tone. I'm using a Digitech BP50 to fatten up the low end a bit right now. The Tonepump preamp is a boost only preamp with a voltage doubler. It's a really hot preamp and paired with the EMG's, it's pretty modern sounding and clean. It seems quite a few people tend to dump the Tonepump in favor of an Aguilar or EMG preamp which is what I'll probably end up doing.

I used mine to sit in with a country band not too long ago and it fit in well. The guys seemed to like when I boosted the mids a bit to give a subtle growl to the music.

They're a dream to play and really comfortable. No neck dive issues at all with a Euro, but the bolt-on models may have some issues. I'm 5'7" and reach first position with no problems at all.

Play one or play them all! Good luck on your hunt!:hyper:

5. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    i like my spectors. i have 2 of them. a euro5 and an older ns2000/4 nt

i have emg's in the euro (pre lx version with fully flamed body wings) and like spector ray was saying...i dumped the tome pump for an aggie obp3 and love it. much more versatile now.

as for my ns2000...that bass has been a workhorse in my arsenal for about 7 years now and i will probably never get rid of it. it has a tool sound that i cannot get enough of. i have had to do a couple of wiring repairs to it...(resoldering of wires...replacement of battery connection...etc.) but that bass is just plain tough.

as far as playing different styles....i can only really attest to hard rock and heavy metal...and i will say definitely yes...spector is the right bass for that.

just my .02

6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I've used just about every make and model of standard American and European basses. Other than boutique basses, Spectors seem to cut through the mix better than most others. They have a wonderful natural brightness to them that is unmistakable. Even with a lower power amp, I can be heard over the loudest drummers and guitarists. They are the boobies IMHO!!!

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Ryan, if you're a fan of the passive Jazz sound you might want to look into a Spector ReBop DLX. I had a long conversation with PJ @ Spector, and he confirmed what I had always thought - that the ReBop was the "Jazz Bass" of the Spector line. Bolt-on neck with more of the traditional low-mid "bump" that bolt-on Jazz basses have, Alder body with a Maple top, passive EMG HZ pickups... I've always said that the ReBops are if a Jazz and a traditional Spector made sweet love down by the fire. :smug: They're certainly lighter than the neck-through Euros and cut down significantly on the "crispy" high-end that the Euros have IMO. To my ears they're the perfect combination of the "Spector Sound" and what a good high-end Jazz bass sounds like (Sadowsky, Lull, etc...)

The one thing I'm considering doing is swapping out the pickups for EMG 40TWs and BQC Control setup - that way I have the full-on EMG/Spector tone, but with the coil cut can pull off a clear Jazz tone pretty nicely as well as having bass/treble cut and boost and sweepable mids with the BQC (PJ @ Spector has this setup in several of his Spectors and swears by it) Sweepable mids are one thing I find myself missing with the TonePump preamp, but you can grab a used ReBop for a song, install the pups and electronic and have a kicking bass for well under 1K.

...and even before that can be done, the passive EMG HZs are absolutely underrated. Nice, clear passive pups that because they simply don't sound like active EMGs. :scowl:

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1 here - I just bought my first one and am expecting it any day now, but the Spector was my first case of G.A.S. about 7 years ago, back before I even knew what G.A.S. was. And it hasn't gone away since. Every time I listened to a song with Rex Brown playing, it would torment me so I gave in and got one.

From the ones I've played at Guitar Center, I'd say a Spector would fill those shoes. HOWEVER, from what you're describing here, this fits my Lakland 44-02 to a tee! It's extremely "full" sounding with a lot of punch and depth. It sits in the mix very well and gives the song a solid foundation, but it doesn't cut through much unless you boost the mids and treble. And I'm not just saying that because I'm trying to sell it, I'm just saying that's exactly how I would describe it.

9. Paulhauser

Paulhauser

Aug 1, 2006
    Hungary
    I have 2 guitarist with 7 string guitars and we tune down to a whole step, to A.
    I have tried some good instruments ( Yamaha TRBII, JM2, Ibanez SR506 etc. ) but none cut through the mix like my Euro 5 (pre LX) with Aguilar OBP-1.
    All the others got buried, but not my Euro. Though I like the stand-alone sound of my TRB-6II a bit better, in my band situation the Spector wins (and it is a damn comfortable axe )
    Also due to its emerald green colour I always got some attention. (if for nothing else :) )

10. Spector Euros are great but I'm not sure they fit the "full" sound you're talking about. Don't worry about the high end, it can be tamed with tone controls. These Spectors have a bit of a mid hump and a growl, though, that help them cut in a mix. That's why I love them. This also has the effect of making them not as "full" or "round" in my opinion, which generally isn't my bag anyway.

If you get one, expect to swap out the Tonepump preamp for an EMG or Aguilar. I hated it. Waaaay to hot, aggressive, and mid-scooped. Boost only, too.

11. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Thanks for your replies everyone, I guess the only way to really get an opinion of their stock tone is to play one, NYC is only 2 days away...

I hate how active pickups/electronics sound soooo hot sometimes. I'll take your advice if I pick one up sometime, that is, if I don't like the stock tone.