Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Czech vs. Spector USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I just wondered the difference between the USA made and the Czech made Spectors. I have a Spector Czech 5 that I love and I have never had the chance to play a US made bass.

2. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Higher grade of wood.... and attention to detail from Stuart and his crew. Both nice considerations.... but...

Apart from that, nothing of note....

The Czech Spectors are SUPERB value!

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    From what I've heard, Stuart personally sets up every Spector sold, even those from foreign countries.

USA Spectors have a Haz Labs preamp, a more highly-figured maple (or other) body, and a lifetime warranty.

I'm not too sure, however, that those differences warrant such an enormous jump in retail or street price. :meh:

4. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    This will depend on the production year and whether it is a bolt on or not. All Euro and USA bolt-ons get the new Tonepump pre, while the neck throughs get the Spector Preamp. Materials are also upgraded on the US models. I would also say attention to detail, but I've got a Euro and played lots of them. They're all pretty sweet, especially for the dough. Go on the website and look at the basses. They show whats different about them all. If I could afford a Us neckthrough 5er, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but beleive me, I'm perfectly content with my Euro. It's a great bass.

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Same here. I love my euro

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. Spector's site claims there's a 'Lifetime Limited Warranty' on the USA and the Euro-Series basses.

I'm very impressed with my Czech-made Spector. Especially it's tone and feel. Maybe there's a slight bit more attention to detail with the finishes and fretwork with the USA-series basses. IMO this is mainly 'cosmetics', and doesn't greatly affect the tone. As RAM's stated, is this really worth the extra $$$?

I'm sure my wife could find a way to spend the difference! :D

7. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I'm sure... Whenever I hear the word wife I think of the quote
    " The one way to tell if a mans rich is if he can make more money than his wife can spend.. " Aint it the truth..

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Truth be told (but don't flame me too much:p), I'm unhappy I ever bought a bass that, IMO, is way inflated in price. I have a US NS-4, which although I think is a great bass, I can't tell much difference with those Euros I've played. I think I spent way too much and have too little to show for it.

9. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    :mad: :bawl: :mad:

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    +1000!!! Just joking. :) I really like to kid about my 'Boss'. She's actually really great about my O.C.D. bass habit. She even bought me my SKB3006 as a father's day gift.

Whispers: "You're right, but keep it down, she'll kill me" :D

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I certainly would'nt feel too bad about it. If I could afford a USA-neckthrough, I'd own one. I'm glad to hear this from an owner of a USA-made Spector, that the Euro-Series Spectors are that good in comparison. Thanks for your opinion. :)

Weird sidenote: I sat in on a gig some weeks back with some fellow 40-somethings. When I took my 'Euro-4' (It's white, like the one Sting used to play) out of it's case, one of the guys went: "Cool, an 80's bass! Was it made by Kramer?" :confused: I thought, this guy needs to get out more! :eyebrow: :)

12. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    lol...
    * whispers * I'll make sure to keep that on the down low..

13. I've played and/or owned both. The NS-CR basses are truly solid instruments that Stu and crew update every year (didn't they just give them alder body wings?) and will serve anybody well for years unless they get GAS.
    But the US basses are their bread and butter, and are instruments you'll never have to replace--they feel like they're made out of granite, and aside from chipping the finish, it would be humanly impossible to hurt them. They sound about the same to me.
    By buying a US Spector, one ascends to that lofty territory of None Finer, Just With Different Options.
    Mind you, to me, an instrument that's that hard-feeling isn't inviting, so do the grain of salt thing.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned a few Spectors. 4 USA Neck thru's & about 15 or so Czech neck thru's.

IMO, both basses ROCK!!!!! From what I remember, the USA Spector's had a few more options (finish, p/u & preamp). IMO, the 4 string are very, very similar. Uou can only get the Czech with a P/J configuration where as the USA has a P/J or dual soapbar. They felt the same, played the same & sounded damn close (P/J to P/J).

On the other hand, the 5's felt a little different. The neck on the USA is FAR supirior. It felt MUCH better. The Czeck 5 neck was a little chunkier then the USA but everything else is there.

15. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    it is good to hear that they are very close in quality and that Stuart takes that much pride in his stuff. Makes me even more proud to own it :)

16. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    He does need to get out more. I've got 5 string white Euro that I think looks great. If you want Eighties though, I've got a hot pink Dean strat styled guitar! :eyebrow:

17. "15 or so" Czech Spectors?
    Nino, really.

18. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Regarding the post on the 5 string euro neck being chunky,
    I found mine to be PERFECT for me, and extremely easy to move down it. Thats just my 2 cent tho.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was refering to chunky as compared to the US NS5 I owned. :)

20. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Gotcha.