Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Oct 15, 2003.

1. I want my next bass to be a spector, but I'm not sure which of these to get.

NS-5CRFM $1500

[​IMG]

NS-JH5CM $1900

[​IMG]

Of course I'd be paying for this over the course of a year or so, so an extra $400 for the second bass wouldn't set me back too much.

I'd prefer the bass with more oomph behind it, which is leading me towards the first bass, but that second one has the J/hb combo, so I'm not sure. I've heard great things about both basses. I checked harmony central and it didn't really help me out.

If you guys have any experience with either bass, let me know. Thanks. :bassist:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have the NS-5CRFM, and it has tons of thump and punch- very good low end with a nice and clear high end. The tone is very workable for many situations. The NS-JH is nearly as punch and full sounding, but it will probably cuit through the mix better than the CRFM. The Jazz pup on the bridge position gives it a little extra bite and growl, and still has plenty of punch. Basically if you want a slightly more aggressive tone, go for the JH bolt-on. Personally, I like the looks of the CFRM's better. :D

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Garrett, what happenned to the Spector Q5 you were going to buy?

4. DNA - Exactly the reply I was hoping for, thanks alot.

Rev - I settled for some used bass I got from a friend instead. I was just basicly looking for a bass to upgrade from my crappy-noob Harmony bass. Now I'm looking for a quote-unquote "real" bass :D

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I know, it's hard. I mean, if it's spector or something else, it isn't. But choosing between two Spectors is a hard feat indeed.

I say, get either one, you'll love it to death, and tone is to die for, therefore, you worry over nothing!

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You're a lucky man to have such a dilema!

I have had a couple of NS5CR basses - still have one. These were the ones made just before the NS5CRFM came out. Mine has dot inlays, a 34" scale and EMG preamp.

In my mind the NS5CR (and FM - and now Euro 5as they are called) are absolutely awesome for the money. I have never had the opportunity to try any US series Spectors (I also own a Korean built REX2000/5 - also a great bass for the money)

I guess if you are about to put out that much money on either, you'll try it first. Best bet is to A/B them and decide if the $400 over a year is worth it. Either way, you are gonna walk away with an awesome bass!

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Czech neck thru series is AWESOME. I've owned about 15 of them in 4 & 5 string configurations.

I've also owned a 4 USA neck thru Spectors. The USA's had a little edge over the Czech counterparts but not by much.

I've never owned a bolt on USA but I would like to buy a 4 string in the future. The thing I like about the USA bolt on's is that you can get it with a ash body which brings the weight down signifigantly!!!! IIRC, the 5 string has a switch to make the soapbar a J so you can get 2 J or a J/SB confiuartion.

Personally, I'd go for the bolt on.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I've owned about every high end Spector out there. I had a USA 5xl made for me, a USA 4 made for me and a USA 5bolt on made for me. All were awesome. The 5 bolt on really shined for me because I could get a bit of a jazz tone out of it with the pickup configuration. Most importantly for me was the weight. It was very light!! The oil stained body was also very cool, a nice change from the high gloss finish on my others. Preamp also worked quite well. I like the Czech Spectors but I definately think the USA 5 bolt on is the way to go. A great bass to play all night long. Your back, shoulder, and ears will love it!!

Rob

9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    All i have to say is:

Sustain for days: Czech Neck Through

Good Sustain: Bolt On

I have 2 Czech 4's and love them to death, I am actually waiting for my third. People complain about the weight. I don't really notice, it feels like a well built machine, which it is.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

A well built bolt on bass doesn't have sustain issues. They have more "thump" by design on top of that!

Rob

11. Bolt-on it is, thanks guys. 1900/12 = $153 a month, versus the cheaper 1500/12 = $125 a month.

So we are talking about a $28-a-month difference. I'd say it's definitely worth it.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    In that price range you can get a czech, I'm not sure about those models but make sure it has the upgraded electronics and active circut. I got a Czech Rebop 5 for a less than that and it's awesome, you will like whatever one you get, congrats!