Spector Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Hey,

Now my favorite local guitar shop is gonna be carrying Spector, and that means one thing...

I'VE GOT G.A.S.!!!!

and that I have to get some money...so if anyone would like to contribute, donations would be gladly accepted:D ;) :cool: ....

But seriously, I'm thinking of going for a Czech series 5-er in Red Stain...would it be better to go for the ReBop 5 or the NS5CRFM?

Price is definately an issue, seeing as I'm weighing towards poor-dom on the monetary scale and I have to buy a car as well...

So aside from the neckthrough/bolt on and active/passive p/ups issues, are there any preferences that you all have? (Feel free, Spector Brigade!!!)
  2. I guess the 'aside from' items that you you metioned are some of the main cosiderations!!! What kinda sound are you wanting - do you want a neck thru or a bolt-on??? The pups on the neck thru are active themselves and have higher output than the Hz pups on the bolt on. I have Spectors with both the DC 40s and the HZs both with EMG pre-amps and the difference is noticeable. I'm not sure what difference the Aguilar pre-amp makes - it may make all the difference.

Also, I guess the difference in body woods will make a differnce to the tone (and also how long you can stand up and play it for!). The other aspect si looks, the neck thru have figured maple tops that will look very nice through whatever coour you choose - I think the bolt-ons will be solid colours!

If money was no option - get the neck thru. However, you state this as a concern - so you may want to look at the bolt on. Alternatively try both when you shop gets stock in then see what there is on ebay - possibly a good condition used neck thru.

Whatever you get - I doubt you'll be disappointed!:)
  3. Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    'The Spector Sound' is Neck thru and P/J pick ups
    NSCRFM all the way

However, soapbars on Spectors are also nice. Flea played a Spector with Soapbars
  4. Neck-Through or bust. I doubt I'll ever buy a bolt-on bass (save for a Wal...mmm)
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I asked Stuart about the Rebop a long time ago...he said it was a completely different sound. I'd suggest you give 'em all a whirl and decide which one you like best.

Then, save up for the other one:D
  6. ...which almost certainly can't be as good as the neck-through! GET THE NECK-THROUGH!!!

7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, being as though I haven't heard it, I can't quite comment on the quality of it vs. the neck-through. But, I would say to keep an open mind, because though it may be different, it may be a good-kind-of-different.

Ya' never know 'til ya' try:D
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'd say the NSCRFM for sure. If you're going to plunk down the dough for either one, may as well go all the way with no regrets. :)
  9. Yeah, get a used one! *ahem* Check the "for sale" section, too. ;)

All shameless promotion aside, the Neck-through Czech Spectors are excellent -- just not my style after all.
  10. Yup, I shall, but first I need the dough for one...

But I am considering leaning more towards the neck-thru...mainly because of the p/ups and neck-thru, but also the maple top...
  11. My advice is to "go for broke" and get the neck through!
  12. Ooo...that quilted maple top looks sooo beautiful, even on those Neck-thru czechs....well i think I may just have to save up...after playing one first:cool:
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, just wait a little until you have some more money...

i mean who really NEEDS two kidneys? one is good enough...:D ;)

look into getting used. think of all the browny points earned if you buy a used one from here. (i kinda wish that i bought a used czechtor 'stead of a brand new one...ah well).

Neck-Through or bust. I doubt I'll ever buy a bolt-on bass (save for a Wal...mmm)

my sentiments exactly! (well, add in a modulus quantum, as well).
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Czech Spectors have maple bodies, not maple tops. :)

I've played a few USA Bolt on's & all I have to say is SWEET!!!!! Don't knock it till you try it. It's a really awesome bass.
  15. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I play a USA SSD Prototype neck thru and it's awesome. :D
    I personally would go for the NS5CRFM in your case. First I would try them all and see what your likings and budget can afford. But try the Re-Bop you may like it better for your style.
    Good Luck :D
  16. I got to try a Czech neck-thru 4-banger today!

It played and felt godly!

but the tone, I wasn't too impressed with. It was weird because it was thin, yet thick. Am I on crack? Would it sound different (ie fuller) with a new battery and a new set of Elixers? And would the Humbuckers sound different than the P/J setup?

I played a NS2000 Q5 too, and that didn't sound too bad, but not as good as the NS 4CrFM...
  17. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    What did Stuart Spector say about the Re-Bop in regards to it's tone?
  18. I'd be willing to bet that the bass needs a new battery. There should be no problem with the bass lacking a full sound.

As far as comparing the p/j to humbucking EMG setup, although both configurations have plenty of kick in all the tonal ranges, the humbuckers have more of a rounded sound with slightly scooped mids with a bit beefier low end and the p/j setup has a bit less low end and more in the mids. Playing alone, the humbuckers will sound better. The advantage of the p/j setup is that because of the distinguished mid range, you will stand out more in the mix than compared to the humbuckers. Either way, you can't lose.

Next time you try out the bass, ask the store to install a fresh battery.
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the spectors have lots of high mids anyway...

my 'buckers cut through very well, so it may not be a huge compromise.
  20. What I mean is more of the 1Khz range. I have both the p/j and the DC humbucker configuration on my Spectors. The Spector w/ the p/j setup cuts through somewhat better than my Spectors with the humbuckers.