1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Emergency! HELP

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ByahBass, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ByahBass

ByahBass

Feb 18, 2009
    Montreal, Qc
    Hey, so I own a Spector Rebop5, and i just tried to restring it for the 1st time. All is well except that the B string, (125 guage) wont fit in the bridge. what do i do??? The strings are DR Hi Beams. Please help

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    If it is just the silk wrap over the string that is hanging it up, you can take a razor blade and cut off the silk to help it slip through. It won't do anything to the string.

Or you can cut the string apart and tie it back together after you get the thinner part through the other way. I'm kidding. ;)

3. ByahBass

ByahBass

Feb 18, 2009
    Montreal, Qc
    nono, not near the tuners, the bridge

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That's what I meant...the silk near the bridge end. Unless you have no silk near the bridge end of the string.

You could drill out the hole in the bridge if need be. It wouldn't be that hard to do. If you do drill it out, I would put some clear nail polish around the hole (and let it dry) as you'd be scraping a bit of the plating off the bridge around the hole (though it would be slight).

Are you sure it won't go through the bridge at all? Some B strings need to pass through almost completely straight to get through (even the slightest angle makes it impossible for it to go all the way), before coming up over the saddle (which is really difficult to do unless you screw the saddle's intonation screw way, way out first and then redo it).

I am amazed at how many threads pop up about Spector 5 string basses not allowing a B string through the bridge. :confused:

5. ByahBass

ByahBass

Feb 18, 2009
    Montreal, Qc
    really? drill? i dont want to ruin the bridge, its already geting mangled just by me trying to fit the string in

6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I had this problem with my Schecter.

I just took some sand paper and sanded down that part of the string. It worked fine.:)

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm not shy about doing anything to my basses. But I'm never worried about resale. I just want them to work for me. They're just tools of the trade, not collector pieces. So I would drill. I'd also rather drill out the bridge and never worry about it again, then to have to piss around with that every time I put new strings on.

But if you are worried about resale value, try the fix metallicafan18 suggested and see if that works...though I would think any mods to a string (even sanding) would affect the string somehow.

I'm really surprised why Spector would make a 5 string bass and then not put a bridge on it that accepts standard gauge B strings. :confused: