Spector - EMG - Effects

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MohawkHarry, Nov 13, 2004.

1. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Okay I plugged my Spector Euro 5 into my Q-Tron and found that my effects sound pretty crappy with my EMG loaded active Spector bass, However the Q-tron sounds like it should with my MM Stingray. Same thing with my Bassballs pedal!
    Anyone else find that Spectors sound better with no effects?

Is the onboard pre-amp too juicey for the effects imput?
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'vehad teh opposite experience- I've had a few spectors and they have responded extremely well to effects. EMG's are very clean Hi-Fi electronics and should work well with effects in general. I can get some very juicy stuff out my Euro 5 with some good distortion and chorus.
  3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Ask Doug Wimbish, probably the most prolific user of effects in all of bassdom! :) He plays his Spectors (and occasionally his Ibanez signature model :D ) through a spitload of effects and manages to get an awesome sound!

Russ :bassist:
  4. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I've had trouble as well with EMGhz pups on my spector. The same effects sounded great on a jazz pup. I'll tweak and repost if I have success...
  5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Switch those HZs out and put in EMG DCs or EMG CSs, and you'll be much happier...
  6. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    It's really no biggie because I love the way my Spector sounds, and I only use effects when noodling around.
    While the effects are on what use to be a strong effects signal seems sort of washed out.
  7. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    The only effects I ever used with my Spectors (before they were stolen) were an Ibanez Tube Screamer and a chorus pedal. The chorus was only used on occasion, but the Ibanez responded very well to the EMG's. Sounded great with the Spector growl.