Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector EMG Electronics Problems?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Damian Coccio, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    Two months ago I bought a NS5CRFM. The playability, sound and craftsmanship of this instrument are of execptional value. However, this bass has had two show stopper electronics problems. Problem #1- I plug the bass in after using it frequently and no audio signal comes out. Ok no big deal, I pop the bass open pull out the electronics and find a bad chip. I replace the chip which I happen to have in stock (I am an EE). Problem solved, bad TL062 opamp. Cost and time to fix it a couple bucks maybe 45 minutes time (still easier than sending back to Spector). Problem # 2 - volume pot fails. I replace the pot and the bass is back in working order. Spector used EMG electronics in this bass. The volume and tone pots are of cheap quality. Ive heard many good things about Spector and EMG and am posting this only to see if anyone has had similar problems not to cast blame on Spector since it is really EMG's problem. In General the best craftsmanship bass in the world with a bad pot or failed electronics doesnt sound so good. I emailed spector about this on Sunday night, but have yet to hear back from them with any advice to get my confidence back.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have EMG's in most of my basses & both of my Spectors. I've never had a problem w/amy of the pots, ever & I've installed alot of EMG's for other people also w/no problems.

Sometimes a there's a bad apple in the bunch. Hope the bass is OK now.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've got a NSCR5 - and older one(had it a couple of years now) and have only ever changed the battery and strings on it. It went a bit farty when the battery was on the way out but that's been it!!!!

Oh how I wish there was a separate battery compartment!

4. I own 3 Europe Series Spectors (two fivers and a four) and have yet to have a problem.

Try giving Spector a call @ 1(800)825-8810 and perhaps you'll get a quick response this way. Good luck!

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that sucks, man.

of all the spectors...

6. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    Because I started this thread about Spector I thought it was only fair to finish it positively on Spector's behalf. It would be a shame if this thread turned off a potential Spector customer. Spector is sending me all of the parts I replaced in the bass + they are selling me the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp upgrade at a nice discount. Good company. Good Product. Good service. A pleasure to deal with.

7. I knew that Stu wouldn't fail to come through! When Stu says "basses built for a life time", he means it!!!

8. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    I had the same problem nuwavedc had. Two months ago I bought a Spector NS200Q4 and in the last week i started getting a distorted sound and now my bass barley plays.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    From your description, it sounds like your battery is dead. Take the control cavity off & try to replace the battery.

10. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    Thanks, I never knew about a battery.