1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

spector emg soapbars versus P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Sep 8, 2008.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    I have a question fellow spector owners. IS there a substantial differnence in tone between the emg soapbar pickups, and the emg P/J configuaration. It seems like the soapbars would be somewhat ewarmer and fatter is this the case?

2. My ears heard just the opposite -- the PJ setup had more midrange and sounded warmer and fatter, while the HBs had much less midrange and a very tight low end, more thunder than thump. The difference was substantial to me.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Depends on which soapbars you're talking about. The EMG PJ set is my absolute favorite - punchy and growly as hell, not really "warm" at all if you're think vintage Fender. The DC soapbars have more of a hi-fi flavor - tight low end, somewhat cut in the midrange when set flat, and crisp treble. The CS's are more trebley but the same. And I don't have any experience with the others. I would assume the P & J soapbar pickups are similar to the standard P & J pickups.

But yes, there IS a substantial difference in tone.