1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Euro 4 lx vs. Warwick Thumb BO 4.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zxcvbs, May 6, 2015.

1. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

Mar 8, 2009
    Hi im looking for a new bass 4 string bass.
    I have a 4 st fretless warwick corvette. And a Corvette $$ 5 st.
    I think im looking for a growly thumb, but i find the warwick less singing than the Spector. I find my Warwick middle, trebbles a little harsh to my ears, dont know how it would be the Thumb.
    Here is a little difficult to play both basses, specially the spector. Do you have any sound clips, to compare?
    I really like Ryan Martinie Thumb tone, but dont know if i would like the bass in another context.
    How growlier can get the Thumb and the Euro?

I dont know how to tell, it seems as if the Euro has more of that candy sound (on steroids) found in the jazz bass with the tone on full. That the W, doesnt have.

This is the growly tone i say:

Is this tone exclusive or if it can be eq'ed with more flooring move bass (like jazz bass).
    This is a Spector:

The Spector sounds more bassy, round. the Thumb sounds like it has some anger inside.

Same Mudvayne disc LD 50.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. 35hundy

35hundy

Oct 12, 2014
    BC, Canada
    Keep in mind the pickup positioning between the Thumb 4 and 5 is different and yields a much different tone. I used to own an NT 5 (also in search of Ryan Martinie's sound) and absolutely hated the tone; flat, muddy and lifeless. I have a suspicion that he recorded LD 50 on a Thumb NT 4. If you watch many of his live performances online, you'll notice whenever he plays with one of his 5's it will seem muted and somewhat lost in the mix. I had the same issue with mine, even when recording. In the future, I will pick up an NT 4 since I have tried it and loved it. I have also owned a Spector Euro LX 5 and played a few 4's. Both iterations of the Euro are excellent but obnoxiously aggressive. It's not the Martinie sound, but very attractive if applied correctly. Both the Thumb and the Spector will deliver the growl, no problem, though, IMO the NT 4 is exactly what you're after and the BO 4 may be a consideration too.

zxcvbs likes this.
  3. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    I haven't played neither but just by the woods and pickup positioning I doub
    Obnoxiously aggressive scares me off.. I have a really hard hitting right hand and have trouble taming the clickily clack of the strings hitting the frets coming through. I was thinking about going for a spector bass when I eventually upgrade or maybe a dingwall for that tight B but I'm scared the spector might enhance my attack. I never thought that would be bad in a heavy music setting HEHE

4. Look here:

That's someone really playing rough with a Spector Euro. He's a beast... I think Spectors sound very nice but definitely up front and cutting when played that way. Unnmistakeable tone, lots of punch and able to put a solid bass under even the lowest tuned guitars.
    Spectors are about focused mid punch, massive low end (if you wish) and glassy treble with a sharp bite.

That said, the Thumb is a great bass, too. It's power is more in that unreal mid growl and snarl, the woody mids sound sooo aggressive.

Both basses are not the kind of bass that like to hide in the mix. Both can easily dominate a mix or at least put their unique stamp on it.

zxcvbs likes this.
  5. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    I am half way there. Really wanting a thumb. With that being said, I will play rock forever! My Spector is a beast and will easily overpower everything if I let it. So I have to play nice. Now just a thumb to go with it so I can choose what weapon of mass destruction I want to kill the band mates with.

6. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

Mar 8, 2009
    Webster, is too one of my favourites players. That clickily clack sound of the Spectors, is what i like (In my basses, sounds just as fretting, mutting noise, dont know if it is the bass or a techinque).
    Will see first what i do with my corvettes, here are selling a Peavey Cirrus NT 4 strings, bubinga, 35'. Anyone knows the agressive/growly sound of a cirrus bubinga compared to Spectors/Warwick?

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  7. hdfxstc

hdfxstc Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    I have a beautiful 1998 Warwick BO 4 string thumb bass for sale if you might be interested. I'm the 2nd owner.